Boondocking in Canada & Mexico and Customs & Border Protection

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for the continued helpful responses.

I appreciate you guys’ advice on the health insurance aspect.

I was under the impression that quite a few van-dwellers are uninsured for whatever reason and this works out ok for them. I hear many people get by on $500-800 a month just fine (and this estimated figure is what I've been partially basing my savings goal on). Surely they aren’t using half their budget on health insurance? Perhaps I am missing something or am wrong about this assumption?

On the cheapest health insurance I would be paying at least $3,500+ per year plus a $1500+ deductible. It seems to me that this would only save money if I have an accident that requires immediate surgery or something equally as serious. Sure, anything can happen, but on the scale of a few years I think this is a low risk.
Regarding urgent care clinics, this website [ https://www.howmuchisit.org/how-much-does-urgent-care-cost ] provides a chart of the average costs for the most common cases. Relatively minor but not rare issues such as an infection or stitches are reasonably priced at $100-300. Even a broken bone that doesn't require surgery should cost less than the $5000 or so insurance+deductible.

I understand the importance of preparing for the worse, and of course if you have the means to do so then you should. But eventually this comes at the cost of impracticality and postponement, and I may be getting towards the point of just deciding this lifestyle is not worth it and to not do it at all (for financial and other reasons). Anyway, one of the reasons for me wanting to pursue this lifestyle is to rid myself of the anxiety and limitations that come with the “what-if” mentality, if that makes any sense.

Minivanmotoman said:
FWIW, just spoke with a Spanish couple touring the country in their Hymermobile. They obtained a tourist visa, B2 from their local American consulate which gives them 6 months touring in US, Can, Mex.
They must exit before 6mos to Guatemala ( outside of the allowed countries) for a couple days and then are allowed to return for another 6 mos.
This Visa is good for 10 yrs.
They said that any EU resident is entitled to apply for one.

Thanks for relaying that info. I am not sure how much you spoke to them, but do you know if they have successfully made multiple entries into the USA? I am aware of this B2 Visa which allows the 6 month entry to the three countries, but my concern is after the initial 6 months (plus however many weeks/months it takes to travel back through Guatemala and Mexico), when they wish to return to the USA, the immigration officers may not look favorably upon them especially if this is becoming a consistent pattern. They will require proof of ties back to home (Spain in this case) and that may be very difficult to prove if they have have been out of their home country for years, likely without a Spanish job or residence during that time. Or maybe it is a lot easier than I am imagining?

Yup, got to have proof of home ties and all that. They have done multiple trips. They were an older couple. Being a young dude, the burden of proof for you will be much tougher of course. Your other options are to get an artist visa, become a super model and marry a well connected businessman politician. Student visa, or business Visa if you can meet the investment and employment criteria.
This is not a great time for open border extended travel in many places of the world. Those days are long gone where they needed cheap foreign labor to fuel an economy.
But you know all that don't you?
There are no magic or secret answers.
Only money can help you fulfill your dreams in entirety. Lots of it to buy a Visa.