How important is ground clearance for your fulltiming adventure?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bster13

Reaction score
Everyone has a different style of fulltiming, no right or wrong, and everyone can live in varying spaces from a Class A all the way down to a car as well as deal with hot and cold differently.  What I'm interested in is how important is ground clearance for you with your style of fulltiming, which of these vehicles would have the minimal clearance to make it to most of the spots you visit, and would you be willing to trade ground clearance for mpg and thus travel more (though perhaps limited access) for the same $ in your budget each month?

2007 Dodge Caravan 5.6in
~20mpg

2012 Toyota Prius 5.3in
~47mpg

2012 Toyota Prius V 5.7in
~42mpg

2016 Rav4 hybrid 6.3in
~35mpg

Cargo Van ~7.5in
~15mpg

Toyota Tacoma 7.9" to 9.1"
~18mpg (w/ truck camping knock that down a few MPG?)

The Toyota RAV4 hybrid is a relatively new vehicle (let's hope they sell well for me in the used market!) that has peaked my interest.  The Prius is obviously king of MPG, but poor ground clearance and I'd like the ability to get to some more remote locations.  The Prius V gives you a bit more ground clearance, but not much given the MPG hit.  The RAV4 is approaching cargo van ground clearance, but with much better MPG, and the cargo van seems to be the standard around here.  Thanks for your thoughts.

I like the clearance of our 1 ton van, as it allows us to get into many we wouldn't get to go otherwise. Heavier frame and suspension, along with bigger tires just make me feel more comfortable/confident.
Yup, glad to trade a couple MPGs for it.

The best campsites are at the end of a long, rutted road filled with rocks. The more ground clearance the better.

I personally would take ground clearance over mpg, but that's strictly a personal preference as the traveling I like to do is off the beaten path. I averaged 19 mpg in my 03 Chevy Express. If you do the math, a car that gets 18 mpg or 28 mpg is a negligible difference in gas costs.

Travel 5000 miles at 18 mpg is 278 gallons of gas at $2.25 = $625.00

Travel 5000 miles at 28 mpg is 178 gallons of gas at $2.25 = $401.00

Now I suppose it starts to add up over the life of the vehicle, at 100,000 miles the 10 mpg difference is roughly $4500 but personally being able to go where I want to go when I want to go is well worth the extra $4500 spread out over 10 years is only $450 a year. Now if you get into the 40mpg range and up the savings become more substantial but then you trade space and ground clearance and again, the extra costs in gas outweigh the space and terrain restrictions for my preferred travel type.

I have a 4x4 3/4 ton pick up with a huge amount of ground clearance.

But then, I'm a firm believer in the theory that paved roads are just another example of needless government spending . . .

Our trucks have always had great clearance, the trailer can go most anywhere the Expedition can and I haven't had the axles flipped yet. Moving forward I may not keep it and worry that the motor homes I am looking at will limit me too much for where I want to be able to go. I have to find the balance between comfort and the limitations fast because the rigs are getting cheaper now that summer is over.

i want it all
depends on what places you go
in the mountains ground clearance can be quickly negated by rear overhang

The only way to have it all is with multiple rigs and that's hard to do unless you have the comfort towing the high clearance van. :)

All I can say is that I have a 3/4 ton, standard length, late model Chevy van. I spend most of my time on pavement and well maintained unpaved roads, with occasional forays down really crappy "roads." I've had to do some slow crawling through/over some iffy spots, but I've never had a clearance issue. Oh, I could've gotten into some spots where I didn't have enough clearance, but I see those situations coming and don't go there. I haven't been headed anywhere SO compelling that I had to take risks instead of backing up and turning around.

Meanwhile, I've seen subcompacts make it down some very nasty roads. Sometimes it's just a matter of knowing how to pick your line.

Ground clearance is a lower priority for me than mileage, and milage is a lower priority than room.

ground clearance is very important to a point. to much puts your center of gravity to high. just as often when travel backcountry roads you will encounter off camber roads just as often as rocks and ruts, sometimes all three at once. those super lifted trucks you see do not like off camber roads most are city trucks, pavement princesses if you will. an experienced driver can get a lower slung vehicle almost anywhere. but beware of the damage you could do. scraping vital parts on rocks, does not usually end well especially when combined with speed. highdesertranger

Some comments about rear overhang and center of gravity all wrap up with ground clearance to see if a vehicle can make it from A to B, so good points. I'm a social person and I don't want to be left out if my tribe is headed to a nice place for a week to fart around. So I'm trying to pick a reasonable vehicle that strikes the balance. My family is on the East coast and I envision having to cross the country quite a bit and rack up those miles. Living space isn't a huge concern for me, but stealth is, especially as I travel back East and stay in more crowded areas. Being compact also helps with driveway surfing w/ friends.

So out of those vehicles listed, would all of them make it to most of the spots your tribe hangs out at?

Being a "worst case scenario" kind of guy in my planning, I was using higher gas prices of $3.50 / gal.  Maybe fulltimers just don't do a ton of miles after the "vacation" period is over the first year or two?

S27Br3y.jpg

Well I can tell you that my Econolines with no special rear end or 4x4 have been down at least a category 3 trail, over a mountain pass and some of it was towing a 62 Cree canned ham trailer. Put a locking rear end in and watch out.

jimindenver said:
The only way to have it all is with multiple rigs and that's hard to do unless you have the comfort towing the high clearance van. :)

all you need is a old hilux that when you get to your destination magically turns into a 40 footer with 6 slideouts,that's not asking to much is it?

New Mexico doesn't have much money to spend on fixing roads. There are pull-outs on the Enchanted Circle around Taos that are so steep and rocky a regular suspension car can't make it without scraping and yet you are only 4 feet from a paved road.

I'd like the best ground clearance I can get, but the priority is to get a decent van. I won't go with a minivan because they have the clearance of a regular car and I like being up higher---I also want more space than that as I may have more time inside than most.

Keep in mind the car based vehicles the whole vehicle is pretty close to the ground, but the truck based vehicles the lowest point almost always is the center of the rear axle, with the rest of the vehicle being several inches higher. Also, you need to look at approach/departure/breakover angles too.

Something wrong with your numbers. The idea that a cargo van is only 2 inches higher than a Prius is just silly.

For me, clearance is a high priority.
Bob