How often does your rig see terrain like this?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if I plan to do 20k miles a year with climate control, and save some dough with a vehicle that gets good MPG and can be stealthy in a city (I plan to spend 50/50 in city/wilderness)......

....the reality is that a RAV4 Hybrid isn't going to cut it for the wilderness portion of my travels due to the poor AWD system, my unwillingness to put on chunky tires (hurts MPG, how much, not really sure?), and unwillingness to turn this little SUV into a Mad Max replica at the cost of stealth in the city.

So perhaps just go for the vehicle with the great MPG and purchase price in the first place and screw this pipe dream that a run of the mill SUV will cut it to get out to some of the more remote stuff?

6RbAm91.png

I'd be paying quite a premium in purchase price for that RAV4 Hybrid for really no functional benefit on a crappy forest road other than a bit of ground clearance. Correct? :(

LT tires don't have to be clunky tires. they make highway LT tires but there goes your traction. highdesertranger

LT doesn't mean Mud tire, look and see what LT all terrains will fit the stock RAV 4, I think there are some ATs that will fit, and not destroy your gas mileage
Remember that LT (light truck) tires come in on road, all terrain, and mud terrain, and they don't have to be big rock crawler tires
You'd be surprised where I've taken a 72 Cutlass and a 69 Polara wagon with stock sized tires

ArtW said:
LT doesn't mean Mud tire, look and see what LT all terrains will fit the stock RAV 4, I think there are some ATs that will fit, and not destroy your gas mileage
Remember that LT (light truck) tires come in on road, all terrain, and mud terrain, and they don't have to be big rock crawler tires
You'd be surprised where I've taken a 72 Cutlass and a 69 Polara wagon with stock sized tires

I'll have to educate myself on LT tires.  I've only ever owned passenger cars, generally with all season, summer, and winter tires.  Again, I need to research, but doesn't make sense to me yet that LT tires with a tread pattern & tread compound much like a road tire would aid in traction.  Off to google I go...much appreciated for the continued help. *cheers*

LT tires aren't necessarily off road tires, they're just heavier, sturdier tires that won't die under a load or on harsh terrain

ArtW said:
LT tires aren't necessarily off road tires, they're just heavier, sturdier tires that won't die under a load or on harsh terrain

OK, so re enforced sidewalls and belting to handle a beating and not flat out perhaps.  So they could have the exact same tread and tread pattern, but they would most likely weigh more, thus worse MPG.

weight will affect MPG some, mostly during acceleration, it's not going to drop you from 25 MPG to 10, you might lose 1 or 2 mpg I'm guessing. Even AT tires aren't super aggressiver tread, not like big honkin' mud tires
It's a question of how much off roading you want to do, and on what surfaces
Heck, I've taken my scooter on terrain some folks wouldn't take on in a 2wd pickup, and they don't even make AT scooter tires :D

as I said early, an off road capable vehicle will not be a high MPG vehicle. you have to choose one or the other. you could get decent MPG in an off road vehicle but not great. or you could take a high MPG vehicle off road but you will tear it up. highdesertranger

The ground clearance of the RAV4 Hybrid (albeit with a cruddy AWD system) and additional interior space initially had me very interested. But the high purchase price and payoff time vs. a van kinda sucks. I might just roll the dice with a Prius or Prius V and see how limited I feel and then change vehicles later if need be knowing that the Prius I buy will already have some good depreciation built in it and it won't break the bank to change to another vehicle down the road.

While I am a huge fan of the Prius, it simply does not have the ground clearance I need in the backcountry. That eliminates it from being on the list of what I could be interested in.

Have you considered a 4-door Jeep or the old Jeep Cherokee? If you can find a 5-speed manual, they get very good MPG! Of course, they are great off road and more room than a Rav 4 would have.

I think if I am solo it is down to one of the hybrids for their MPG and climate control, or a cargo van for the space and decent ground clearance. If the ground clearance and traction are good enough for you to get to most spots, I'm sure I'd be fine in a cargo van.

Now if they cameout with a hybrid cargo van....climate control, MPG, space, clearance.... *drool* :p