How important is four wheel drive and ground clearance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are towing and don't know the area, drop the trailer and look around. We will find a safe spot and explore for a weekend to know what is what and where the trailer can go. I've been down a trail that I was told was ok only to find out it wasn't and there was no turning around. Backing a 25 foot trailer on two ruts up a hill and around a curve is a lesson I only had to learn once.

Luckily, my f250 4x4 also has posi in the rear, which means that, for the most part, I often leave the front hubs unlocked and stick it in 4lo. I also carry a set of cable chains, but haven't had to use 'em yet and if I need BOTH 4x4 and chains to get where I'm going.. I ain't going there. I'm tempted to get a camper/step van and either install a 'lunchbox' locker or swap in a posi rear end (if it doesn't have one already). I DEFINITELY wouldn't want a non-posi/locker rear axle. In fact, years ago, I had a rather embarrassing situation arise wherein I was 'stuck' in a hard-packed dirt driveway having parked with 2 diagonal tires on a bit of a rise.. the van just sat there with the offloaded rear tire spinning merrily away.
With posi and chains, I could go near anywhere, tho chaining up in mud, then removing/storing them afterwards can be an incredibly messy and frustrating experience. As an aside, I had a '90 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 that blew the rear diff (totally munched) and managed to get around for a week by removing the rear driveshaft and, with 4x4 engaged, just using the front diff. ..Willy.

My 1992 GM pickup is 2wd with a limited slip 4.10 rear axle and a set of almost new Goodyear Wranglers, and with the weight of my truck cap and it’s contents it’s hard to get the tires to spin in any conditions.

4wd has saved my ass more times then I can remember. Once was in my 77 cj7 I was racing a Chevy nova down a highway ( I had a v8 that was worked for racing) and when I dumped the clutch into semiconductor gear a u joint separated on the rear drive shaft. I coasted to the side of the road and locked the front hubs in and drove home in front wheel drive (pretty intense because drag racing on highways is frowned apon). :)