How does this guy do it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbert

Reaction score
On this&nbsp;<a href="http://cheapgreenrvliving.com/Tent_Living.html" target="_blank">cheapgreenrvliving </a>link, (pertaining to desert rat &amp; his setup for living in a tent in the desert) it shows that he keeps his battery charged up with a Yamaha EF2000iS&nbsp;generator. He does so while running his computer.<div><br></div><div>My questions are:&nbsp;</div><div>1). How long would it take for him to charge a 12 volt deep cycle battery like his? I'm certain that there are variables such as amp output &amp; amp rating of the battery. I'm not looking for a definite answer; just a general one.</div><div><br></div><div>2). Is it possible to charge up a battery &amp; run low-wattage items (such as a laptop) while operating the generator?</div>

OK I will take this on... first he is using a 2Kw genny which will run even a high end microwave... not knowing his battey or battery bank he can be rest asured in at least 14 amp/hour into his battery... His comp is probably a laptop which eats maybe 2amps/hour so he is way ahead of input to usage which goes to the battery probably through a battery charger...<br><br>
xj700 said:
On this&nbsp;<a href="http://cheapgreenrvliving.com/Tent_Living.html" target="_blank">cheapgreenrvliving </a>link, (pertaining to desert rat &amp; his setup for living in a tent in the desert) it shows that he keeps his battery charged up with a Yamaha EF2000iS&nbsp;generator. He does so while running his computer.... Thus ends question one...<br><br>with a 2KW genny you can build a home, and easily run a laptop, hell a desk top, A/C and a hot pad... You must learn the basic of electronics before you find yourself being schooled by the likes of me...<br><br><div>My questions are:&nbsp;</div><div>1). How long would it take for him to charge a 12 volt deep cycle battery like his? I'm certain that there are variables such as amp output &amp; amp rating of the battery. I'm not looking for a definite answer; just a general one.</div><div><br></div><div>2). Is it possible to charge up a battery &amp; run low-wattage items (such as a laptop) while operating the generator?</div>

Okay, but is it still possible to charge up a battery &amp; run low-wattage items (such as a laptop) <b><u>while operating the generator</u></b>?<br><br>

Yes very much so, what I do/did is run the genny and stretch a cord to the drivers seat and connect a multi outlet strip to it... I would plug in my battery charger (soft wired to the battery) then plug your computer into the strip and power the strip on... I would also charge my phone, rechargable batteries etc. at the same time... The main battery will charge fine and you can use your computer without the need to tap into the battery... This works well also if the main battery was real low and you reverted to your built in laptop battery, they both charge at the same time and you still can use the laptop at the same time...<br><br>a 2KW genny in theory generates 2,000W@110V so you have (remember in theory) to use is almost 19 amps...<br><br>

Also with my 2kw genny you can run anything 110V on, maybe not at the same time, but power tools, microwaves, heck you could power a good sized concert (which is what they do at the slabs)... If per chance you ask for more power than the genny can handle, it will just trip a resettable breaker on the genny and shut down the power end... Then just unplug everything, reset the breaker and adjust your usage...<br><br>Genny 110v is just like what you have at home, use the same logic and you will be good...<br><br>