How does dating work in the nomad World?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heheh, I WISH... Nope... Just a declining town (- 10% per census cycle) in the middle of nowhere, where EVERYONE with half a brain leaves... Heck, at 60, I'M gonna leave really soon and I've got about a 1/4 of a cranial organ... :D

Cheers

JDub said:
...very few times I've tried dipping my toes into the dating pool: that word is: PSYCHO. Psycho exe's, children, personal issues, etc. Combined with financial, substance abuse, and mental health problems (among many)
Oh, my....
I ' m worried about the company you keep...  :-/

Sofisintown said:
Oh, my....
I ' m worried about the company you keep...  :-/
Reading that you'd wonder RIGHT??? :D I gave it 4 tries - 2 I met in church, 2 I was set up with by female friends! We don't have a bar in town and it's 40-50 miles to the nearest one so there's no bar scene. There's really not much of a singles pool here unless you're very young or very old... I had to add an addendum to my post last night because a female friend (stopped by to pick up something) insisted I do so. She pointed out single females faced the same - if not worse - problems here. It's true. I haven't tried dating for almost 20 years and I'm pretty much flabbergasted at the issues you encounter in people anymore and I'm no prude!

Cheers!

Towns like yours usually turn into hunting/camping/hiking/climbing resort towns hence there being more women than men, as 80% of the local jobs being hospitality jobs which mostly hire women, sounds like your town did not have beautiful scenery, game to hunt or local hiking trails to fall back on.

We have all that, excellent hunting and fishing, 2 very nice C of E camping parks, beautiful river walk and trails etc... There's just not ANYTHING else here. We have just 3 sit down restaurants, a bunch of fast food, a WM, and independent super market, some strip mall type outlets and that's it. No nightlife, nothing to do for the folks camping out, we couldn't even buy beer on Sunday till a couple years ago...

A very small group of people defeat any attempt to get some entertainment venues outside of their fru fru interests in jazz and fine arts. They don't want to "ruin" the memories of the town they grew up in - their memory is misguided and purely fantasy for the most part. If you want to see a movie it's an hour drive, go to Lowe's or HD? An hour. A bar? An hour. We have a "sports bar" but it's purely the hangout for the snooty folks - costs you $50 for an order of wings, cheese fries, and 2 or 3 beers... The owner is a county commissioner and he is foremost in beating down any attempts at diversifying our venues - his pricey little business couldn't stand any competition... Same story as a lot of places. The exodus continues, we lost another 800 people this census cycle - way higher than expected. Less than 6000 folks here now. There were 8500 or so when I moved here. That's why the dating pool is so shallow in the mid range - everybody who can, leaves.

Cheers

Wow my mind is boggled, your town could be saved by one good sized roadhouse styled bar/saloon and a bowling ally or movie theater, yep the dating pool would still suck for women(even though they would have most of the jobs), but those towns get a lot of seasonal revenue.  No wonder you want to leave, I would want to leave also lol.  

Is this a photo of your mayor?
HNtAk8m.jpg

I don’t know if it’s a photo of the mayor there but it looks just like some people i know!

JDub said:
We have all that, excellent hunting and fishing, 2 very nice C of E camping parks, beautiful river walk and trails etc... There's just not ANYTHING else here. We have just 3 sit down restaurants, a bunch of fast food, a WM, and independent super market, some strip mall type outlets and that's it. No nightlife, nothing to do for the folks camping out, we couldn't even buy beer on Sunday till a couple years ago...

A very small group of people defeat any attempt to get some entertainment venues outside of their fru fru interests in jazz and fine arts. They don't want to "ruin" the memories of the town they grew up in - their memory is misguided and purely fantasy for the most part. If you want to see a movie it's an hour drive, go to Lowe's or HD? An hour. A bar? An hour. We have a "sports bar" but it's purely the hangout for the snooty folks - costs you $50 for an order of wings, cheese fries, and 2 or 3 beers... The owner is a county commissioner and he is foremost in beating down any attempts at diversifying our venues - his pricey little business couldn't stand any competition... Same story as a lot of places. The exodus continues, we lost another 800 people this census cycle - way higher than expected. Less than 6000 folks here now. There were 8500 or so when I moved here. That's why the dating pool is so shallow in the mid range - everybody who can, leaves.

Cheers

Ao since the town has been dying for awhile, why did you move there? I mean with the shallow dating pool and all.

Same in the non nomads world catch a clue!! And if you got the guts your
Married has a 24% success rate!

"since the town has been dying for awhile, why did you move there? I mean with the shallow dating pool and all."

For career reason for my wife. She was the dean of the local university branch in town...

Cheers.

yep sound's like a town I would not mind living in if I was married.  with the the dating pool you described I imagine people appreciate their spouses greatly there if they have even a halfway good one..

The opposite of Wyoming. Maybe you should try life in the cowboy state for a while.
-crofter

Currently reading "Moonlight Road" a book by Robyn Carr to see how its done: widow jumps into RV with widower and off they go. I have to skip a couple pages per chapter in Robyn Carr books - above my pay grade.

Currently Plowing through the 20 Virgin River books as the film series is behind their production schedule. The books are much better than the film series in this case.
-crofter

JDub said:
Ehm, screw the dating, this sounds like a town I would like to live in... The HD an hour away is an impediment as it is my favorite hang-out, but I would have to make a list and visit once a month... How are the taxes? What state?

Alabama. I have heard it is nice but hot summers. Link to youtube re Alabama.

JDub says no parking for vans though. 
-crofter

I had to think about this one. If you are building your life on the road then I suggest you start a business, develop a routine, go about your business. Hopefully your business puts you in contact with people which is where friends are found.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Sofisintown said:
Ehm, screw the dating, this sounds like a town I would like to live in... The HD an hour away is an impediment as it is my favorite hang-out, but I would have to make a list and visit once a month... How are the taxes? What state?

It's in SW Bama, PM me for the name if you'd like. Our taxes are regressive unfortunately...

https://www.al.com/news/2021/03/alabama-doesnt-have-a-gambling-problem-its-worse-than-that.html

Cost of living is low outside of town - due to our better than average school district in town, it's surprisingly expensive - ~ 9.5% sales tax for instance. Housing is the problem. While property taxes are fairly low (I pay $900 on a 2100 sq ft) and cease when you reach 65 for your homestead, S&Bs are very expensive for such a small town and not much on the market. There are some apartment complexes here but most are aimed at the Section 8 crowd. Regular apt's when available run ~ 600 bucks a month not including utes.

As Crofter noted above, no van parking - they've made sure folks can't even live in a TT parked in someone's drive or backyard - all RV's must have a separate storage building built for it if it's to be parked at a home. To be lived in, a shed or outbuilding must have city water, sewer, and electric (if they catch you). Don't get the idea it's a rotten place to live, Physically it's a very nice little town on some very scenic riverfront, it's just very isolated, boring (lots of drug use among the young w nothing to do), clannish, and not friendly to non S&B living outside of the designated camping facilities.

Cheers!

I hear a lot of hurt in some of these posts....How about an actual success story in Nomad "Dating"

I was a widower out on the road a year+ when I first met Paulette at YARC camp.....she was driving/living in a NEON...Bob had already videoed her during her first week living in the car.....in camp I removed the rear seat and built a simple bed platform

That year I was camp Breakfast cook...a Mid-morning camp communal Brunch.....Paulette always brought fruit and never ate my eggs.....as friends we went our separate ways. Six months later I texted a "lonely-looking-to-camp message"...."Sure I'm in Oregon...Plenty of room" 

We HUGGED at the turnout upon arrival....We both claim "It was ELECTRIC !"  I camped nearby.....We talked...."I'm allergic to EGGS !"......She made me walk around the lake.....I made her swim in the lake......She wouldn't Kiss me....more TALKING....."Is there ROOM for Me?.....I mean there was NO passenger seat (that was replaced by a cat stroller) and the ceiling was covered in photos of my late wife......Movie nite on the Bed was a twin but there was room for a FULL.....We were right next to the Minivan build...Daily Decisions.....CODY came for a snack everyday....TonyandKaren kept coming to visit while we figuring things out......We're OLD she's a Cougar.....Serious decisions can happen FAST!

And then one nite Paulette stayed after the Movie......I dumped half my Crap in Klamath Falls.....Bought a MiniVan seat in Medford and a crappy full mattress from WM......She still had her car.....We traveled together to North California......We Honeymooned in the Redwoods.....Skinny-dipped in a cold mountain stream........finally we ditched her car in a junk yard in Crescent City Ca........That was scary for her to Totally RELY on me

We've been together almost 2 years....She's stole/spoiled my cat Smudgee....Blackie is still Mine.....What a Blessing "companionship" has been this past year....Maybe YARC camp has some MAGIC

CAMMALU and GOTSMART are responsible for YARC camp.....I don't "Know" their whole story....but John was a solo vanner for years....even a solar presenter at the RTR.........and all-of-a-sudden He and Camilia are RVing and posting on the forum together ?

And PUTTS ........Tyll came thru YARC camp and forum and soon found Amy..........Keeping both rigs

and HALFSHADOW......Ted is a YARC camp alumnus and this year visited with Kathrine ....traveling together in that cool "Forestry" truck

and LOST-IN-LIFE......Don stopped by the LTVA with a new-somebody........Opting to keep both Van/Trailer and her Euro-van 

You never Know..............