How do you stay safe?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TMG51 said:
I have one new one to contribute: I've found that when arriving in a new town, the homeless can quickly tell you which are the seedy areas to avoid.

They're also good for knowing which laws are enforced (e.g., just because no parking is posted doesn't mean it's enforced, and just because it's not posted doesn't mean police won't shoo you away).

This is a totally new idea to me and strikes me as exceptional! So do you go up to a homeless person, give him a few bucks and strike up a conversation? Casually work in you're looking for a safe place to park?

Great tip!
Bob

Snow Gypsy said:
  I had/have a knuckle blaster, which I love and used when the aggressive dogs came after us and updated that to a stun stick with 4 hot spots.  Now I carry the knuckle blaster in my purse and the stick on walks.  I have the "Zap" brand.

I'm not sure what a knuckle buster is, can you explain?

Also, I'm ver interested in the zap staff, do you have a link or a model for it? Anything more yo can tell us would be helpful.
Bob

Yes, that's exactly where my came from but there are other retailers that carry them. I really like the knuckle blaster because I can really grip that and have a hold on it. When I was using it with the aggressive dogs, there were two, with the knuckle blaster I was risking getting bitten each time I brushed it against them since they were moving so fast so I got the "rechargeable stun baton" to give me distance. The good thing is that most dogs will run just hearing the static and the baton looks kind of threatening as I don't think anyone is that sure what it is. I cannot say they are legal everywhere to carry though.

I tried carrying a heavy walking stick but I had a dog come after my one dog and I was not able to move the stick fast enough to make a difference since the dog was intent on what it was doing. Luckily, the owner surfaced to call the dog back. Neither of my dogs are aggressive and just stand there hoping I'll come through.

And, they do have the "staff" pictured here. I would like to have that but with two big dogs on leashes it just didn't seem feasible.

I mentioned this awhile back and was roundly criticized and told you should use a gun etc. etc. Do a google search and you will see many self defense experts are recommending this. Many new led flashlights have a huge number of lumens. Test have shown that shining one of these lights in someones eyes temporarily blinds and disorients them. Gives you a chance to adios or -------?

akrvbob said:
This is a totally new idea to me and strikes me as exceptional! So do you go up to a homeless person, give him a few bucks and strike up a conversation? Casually work in you're looking for a safe place to park?

Great tip!
Bob

I never give out cash, but I will give out a cold beer. I find that's somehow a more credible way to introduce oneself and it doesn't feel to me like solicitation or a handout.

However, I don't approach someone who is asking for money or who looks like he might have a drug problem. I find someone who looks like he's keeping to himself (a guy sitting alone with a pack is a good hint) and I strike up a conversation from there. The homeless and vehicle dwellers both share some persecution from vagrancy laws.

Gun, spray, knife, walking stick... but if illegal in some parts, then train real fighting techniques, such as MMA. If you can't handle that due to the toll it takes on the body, then at least Boxing. Self Defense classes, in general, lacks the real pressure testings of true combat training.

The only real way to find out if you can fight to survive in a real situation is to fight often in the gym. This may not be feasible for everyone, but at least you're getting proper training and as close as possible to actual fights, when training in a real, fighting gym. And training by punching and getting punched in the face a lot, will complement all other aspects of a self defense situation.

buckwilk said:
I mentioned this awhile back and was roundly criticized and told you should use a gun etc. etc. Do a google search and you will see many self defense experts are recommending this. Many new led flashlights have a huge number of lumens. Test have shown that shining one of these lights in someones eyes temporarily blinds and disorients them. Gives you a chance to adios or -------?

Depends, how fast can you run? What if he chases you? How much of a lead can you put on your attacker(s) after shining a light on him?  Can you run while focusing the light on him from behind you? What if there are more than one attackers? What if they're a little spread out that only one gets hit by the light?

Why not a flashlight AND, a gun?

Knuckle Duster looks very illegal. Even if they're not exactly a blunt force weapon, they can be used as one and looks just like brass knuckles. Then there's the legality of stun guns. But stun guns are usually more legal than brass knuckles.....due to antiquated laws on the books. Like switchblades are dumb, but very illegal. While you can usually carry a giant, miniature sword just as long as it folds and therefore classified as a "penknife" in many places.

If legal, I'd rather carry a stun gun with a long reach, like a cattle prod.

MK7 said:
While you can usually carry a giant, miniature sword just as long as it folds and therefore classified as a "penknife" in many places.

Uhmm, Yes, But . . .

I have a copy of the book, Knife Laws of the Fifty States by David Wong, Esq.  Per this book, the following states have blade length limits:

AR       3.5"
CO      3.5"
CT       4"
DE       3"
DC       3"
IL         3"         
IA         5"
KS       4"
MI        3"
MO      4"
MT       4"
NE       3.5"
ND       5"
RI        3"
TN       4"
TX       5.5"
WV      3.5"

In some of these states, the blade length limit applies to both open and concealed carry, in others, it only applies to concealed carry

Moreover, in many states where there is no state length limit, cities and municipalities often enact their own laws.  MA is one such, per the author, there is no state law on this but many, many municipalities have enacted their own legislation making knives longer than a certain length illegal

Plus, many states that haven't legislated specific maximum lengths have vague laws about deadly weapons like: State law prohibits concealed carry of any knife "designed for offense or defense".  (That's in the GA state code, 16-11-126)  The author goes on to state that travelers should thus exercise caution when describing the reasons for concealed carry of a particular knife, and should avoid concealed carry of "tactical type folders".

Finally, Federal Law forbids carrying of firearms and deadly weapons in Federal buildings and facilities.  The term deadly weapons includes knives, but does not include pocket knives with a blade length of less than 2.5 inches.

Regards
John

I carry a machete in my van, if questioned it is to cut brush at a campsite, but let me tell you, if threatened, it can become a great weapon that demands respect from many a would-be attacker.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
I carry a machete in my van, if questioned it is to cut brush at a campsite, but let me tell you, if threatened, it can become a great weapon that demands respect from many a would-be attacker.

Of course.  But if you tried to walk around an urban area with it, the authorities would quickly solve your "homeless" problem for the next 5 to 10 years . . .

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Uhmm, Yes, But . . .

I have a copy of the book, Knife Laws of the Fifty States by David Wong, Esq.  Per this book, the following states have blade length limits:

Plus, many states that haven't legislated specific maximum lengths have vague laws about deadly weapons like:

Finally, Federal Law forbids carrying of firearms and deadly weapons in Federal buildings and facilities.  The term deadly weapons includes knives, but does not include pocket knives with a blade length of less than 2.5 inches.

Yeah, that's why I said "but if illegal in some parts,"....which implies that you can't carry guns & knives where not legal.

And in regards to big knives that folds....."classified as a "penknife" in many places."...therefore not all jurisdictions allows any size of folding knives.

So the easy solution is to not carry the giant, miniature sword where it's not legal and carry the 2.5 incher instead.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Of course.  But if you tried to walk around an urban area with it, the authorities would quickly solve your "homeless" problem for the next 5 to 10 years . . .

Regards
John

He did say, "I carry a machete in my van".  I mean, what's the point of keep pointing out the obvious?

Rather than repeat many awesome responses, I'll try to just add a few that might not have been mentioned yet.

Though avoiding unsafe areas is best, when in a known unsafe area on foot definitely keep moving. Downtown Seattle on Friday nights is pure chaos with drunken crowds overspilling the sidewalks and a lot of crime. If you ever find yourself in a similar situation...while you definitely want to remain aware, project a "don't mess with me" attitude and try not to walk alone...whatever you do don't stop. Not even to wait for a crosswalk light to change. Whenever I pick up my bf from the area I'm always on high alert and note a lot of people jaywalking, and he explained how when things are that bad, waiting at a crosswalk paints a target on your back so all street smart folks jaywalk instead.

While waiting for him inside my van in the thick of it I kept the key in the ignition and my hand on the key, maintaining high alert throughout. (I would have kept the van idling if I could afford the gas.) In the 10 minutes I waited with flashers on several people physically bumped into my van, and a few apparently thought I was their ride and tried the doors before realizing their error. Non-drunk individuals on the prowl for trouble took a good look at me in my minivan and I glared back at them. They moved on.

When walking in questionable areas, I carry a combo walking stick / pool cue.  It doesn't really make you look handicapped, but it might make somebody think twice.  The heavy ball on the end makes it a pretty good weapon, and the length is good for keeping your attacker out of arms reach.

walking_stick_pool_cue.jpg

Attachments

• walking_stick_pool_cue.jpg
    walking_stick_pool_cue.jpg
    15 KB
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but if you are staying in a new area/parking lot/campground/etc for the night, do a loop or two around the area you are staying before parking for the night so you know where to go if you have to leave quickly. Some parking lots and rest areas can be confusing and if you are in a rush and need to leave in an emergency, it's not a good time to try and read signs.
Other than that I think loud noise is your best friend. People intending on doing harm all hate one thing and that's attracting attention. Loud noises attract attention and distract them. Air horn, car horn, car alarm, loud radio, whistle, scream, etc.

And not sure if this is a good idea, probably not. But I had an older cousin who was obsessed with electricity when we were growing up. When he got his license he rigged it so anyone touching his door handle on his car got a nasty little shock! Before that he installed metal plates on each step going up to the attic (his workshop) and electrified those as well. However, that backfired because everyone has rubber soled shoes, so they proved to be pointless.....they did work if you touched them though! He's now an electrical engineer go figure.

Oh and one more very good piece of advice. If you happen to carry a baseball bat for protection, throw a baseball and glove in along with it. Your lawyer will thank you if the need ever arises.

The electric idea would make your lawyer pull out his hair!!

It's strange some one should mention the "electrifying" experiment.   While reading all the ways to try and stay safer I thought of my Papa.   When I was about 10ys we got a brand new shiny metal garage and some one helped themselves to most of the contents of the freezer in it. this only happened once...when papa got done we were the only family in the neighborhood that "turned on " the garage at sunset. I'm not sure what he did, I do remember he  put a steel plate on the ground lightly covered with gravel across the garage door threshold. I think a little shock therapy might be the answer to folks grabbing a hold of things  [ our vehicle doors] that don't belong to them. 

I know it's repetitive however I think being aware of our surroundings....and acting like we belong are two of the best things to do.

In my pickup each door storage has a screwdriver and a paring knife.......I like to fix things and picnic...there is a claw hammer on the floor between the seat and console...fixing things again.  there are various everyday household items through out my home placed specifically for defense....I don't discuss any true weaponry with anyone...When you are under attack and cannot retreat do you do want to be the last one standing?   I know I do..if you must fight I suggest using anything and everything you can get your hands on .  Sometimes it may be "fight or fight" and you may be unable to flee...I can't even outrun my fat chihuahua!

Something I haven't seen mentioned here are "steel tipped tire knockers" truckers use them to "thump" tires..... the sound of a tire with the right amount of air has a different sound than one really low or flat.... also a different feel.....kinda like thumping a watermelon.

I hope we all stay safe                Texas Jaybird

Latest posts