How do you bolt down a solar panel?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protryon

Reaction score
So the one I bought (290W big panel) didn't come with mounting brackets, but it has a 3 sided lip with no internal side to support it. Should I go buy some mounting brackets? Can I mount it without brackets?
I've been trying to figure out how to mount it in its current form, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to align the bolts. I've thought of using a cardboard outline to transfer the bolt locations accurately, but the solar panel is flat and the roof is curved (sheet metal Econoline roof). There are no pre-drilled holes in the aluminum frame of the panel.

I know some people tape it, but I know they use something stronger than duct tape. What's it called and where is it sold?

Thanks for any advice.

protryon said:
So the one I bought (290W big panel) didn't come with mounting brackets,

{snip}

I know some people tape it, but I know they use something stronger than duct tape. What's it called and where is it sold?

That's a large, heavy panel, I would bolt it to the metal roof and roof bows using some offset Z brackets or angled aluminum bars.

Ask "jimindenver". He uses those size panels. PM him maybe.

I would do the roof rack and mount the panels to that. the roof rack effectively takes the arc out of the roof. highdesertranger

I used L brackets (qty 4) something like this that I bought at home depot for about 8 dollars. I used thicker bolts and nuts (then the ones shown) to install. For your size panels you will need to drill holes. I wouldnt trust glue or tape to hold something so large and heavy. There are areas in your panel frame where you can drill holes.
I used the 4" size brackets so the panel would clear a vent on the roof. 
I used the L brackets to install a 240 watt panel 4 years ago, it still on there tight.
l brackets.jpg

Attachments

• l brackets.jpg
    l brackets.jpg
    3.2 KB
My roof Rack method for two panels. 

Panel test fit-2.jpg

whole top.jpg

Attachments

• Panel test fit-2.jpg
    Panel test fit-2.jpg
    371.5 KB
  • whole top.jpg
    whole top.jpg
    358.1 KB
Do you have a roof rack on your van? It's easy to mount solar panels to the cross-bars of a roof rack.
I used u-bolts through the flanges of the panel to fasten it to the bars. Easy Peasy.

dr_nelson said:
Just my few cents. I read good things about the 3M VHB tape, but keep in mind that you are basically gluing your solar panels to the paint of your roof and not the actual roof.

That VHB works GREAT on fiberglass

So I had a sheet metal roof on my Econoline, and decided to go the Z bracket route. I ended up buying 4 Z101 Compression Brackets from EcoFastenSolar, which have worked out well for me. They're nice and heavy duty which is great for a humongous panel like mine. I had a bit of scare where I forgot to epoxy down the bolt nuts and the solar panel almost flew off on a mountain.