How do I get insurance on a Box Truck Conversion?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morkani

Reaction score
I've asked around a little bit, and everyone says they won't insure a truck where I did the construction in the back.
I thought I heard though that if you just want liability it doesn't matter? I still can't get anyone to insure though.
I plan to keep the build under 26000 lbs. it'll be a used penske truck. so I hope it shouldn't need a CDL license I guess it would be titled "medium truck? or something other than comercial vehichle?" and i don't know how to ask for what I want. "residential truck"?. 
Also, how do I answer "what are you going to use the truck for"?

Thanks so much :)

The truck is for personal use with liability should get you there. No CDL required either.

For contents, ask about renters insurance. Personal stuff is what you are insuring, not the build.

You may find it easier in a different state than you presently reside. There is an Escapees club that may be able to help if you need to do that and answer insurance questions as well. Check box truck forums as well as school bus build forums for opinions.

With the truth - you're using it for traveling/camping. If they probe further, just say you are off on an extended road trip of at least a year. NEVER lie to your insurance agent/broker.

As others have suggested, you may need to change your permanent address to another state, as they are all different in this regard, and the Escapees organization is a gold mine of information.

As the last poster mentioned don’t lie, but you also don’t need to offer up any info that they don’t ask for. Personally it’s a personal use vehicle that may have valuables in it. Just tell them how much you want coverage for for the contents. I wouldn’t voluntarily anything extra or elaborate more than what they ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro