How do I deal with fear of breakdowns?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abnorm said:
"" I never knew slavedom until I met my cat too. ""

Hi Sandi....welcome....Here's a pic of the setup under const ...See under the desk......I've since added some castors.......the stroller I have is the jogger.....here's my girls

doug

Awe, how sweet!  Thanks for the pics, Doug  My stroller is a little different and a 2 seater :) Sandi

TrainChaser said:
XFile, also get one of those fabric cat harnesses, if you don't have one already.  Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Weather-Voya...F8&qid=1492976013&sr=1-6&keywords=cat+harness

Get OldKitty used to it long before you'll need it.  Just get her used to wearing it, first.  Then let her drag a leash so she gets used to attachments.  Then do a little guiding on the leash.  Then do some walking on the leash.  Get her used to the vehicle the same way:  sit in the car with her loose; let her stay there by herself; sit with her and turn the engine on, let it idle for a while; drive around the block; go on longer trips.  

Baby Steps all the way.  Cats are creatures of habit.  They can learn, but they need time to think about things for a while before they're comfortable with it.  Treats are good.

Also, when traveling ALWAYS CARRY WATER.  ALWAYS!  Dump the mindset of "I'll do that when we stop tonight".

When ArtW said to take a piece of heavy plywood with you to set the jack on, he did mean PLYWOOD.  Don't try to replace it with a piece of solid planking, which can split with weight and pressure on it.   I would also buy a pair of wheel chocks to prevent the car from rolling when you raise the jack.  They look like this:  https://www.amazon.com/MTC-20207-He...F8&qid=1492976432&sr=8-8&keywords=tire+chocks, but try to get some with at least one all-the-way-through hole in them, and then TIE them to your jack so you won't forget to use them.  If you're raising the jack and the vehicle rolls, the jack can get jammed underneath, and you're stuck.  We don't need to go into exactly how I know this.....  :blush:  Have a patient person show you how to change a tire:  YOU do all the work, he/she gives directions.  Make a written list of the steps you have to do, have it laminated, and keep it with your tools.

It would be better to keep a spare van key on a cord/chain around your neck than hidden under the van.  Even stupid car thieves know where to look.
TRAINCHASER, All great advice.  He is getting used to the harness with lots of treats.  When he starts licking it I know it's time to take it off.  Tomorrow I will try dragging the leash and going for a short ride.  Cats are very trainable and super intelligent. You're right - they just need a little time and patience...

OK on the chocks - putting on my list.  LOL on why you know about not using the chocks.  I've never heard of them.   Great idea on the spare key!  Thanks!  Sandi

GotSmart said:
That will provide a lot of amusement as the cat gets used to it.  Once they do ~~~ Rock that style!

GotSmart,  Very Cute!  The first time I put it on him 2 years ago he ran and hid under the bed. Mine was not amused!  LOL   He got sick 2 yrs. aqo and then my focus has been to get him well since then.   I have recently learned the proper way to slowly introduce him to the harness.  Today he was able to tolerate it for hours on and off.  I think we got a good start on it this time.  :cool:
Sandi

ArtW said:
Keep a square of plywood with your jack for tire changes, and start now learning repair and maintenance for yourself, if you're not physically unable to do such tasks
keep yourself in good walking shoes or hiking boots
Try to be near other tribe members :D
ArtW, 

I have a square of plywood.  What depth should it be?  Also, I asked a neighbor a few days ago to teach me how to patiently change a tire.  BTW, he has a class a or c rv, i forget which.  Do you know what he said?  He said he hasn't had to change a tire in 20 years because of AAA and couldn't help me.  LOL, sort of...being near other tribe members is a fantastic idea!

When I got my class A rig . The lug nuts were 1 1/2" on the 19.5" wheels (which weighed like 100#+ each) The lug torque was 500#'.

I went out and bought a set of 3/4" drive sockets , a 6 ton jack and matching stands........The first time I tried to change a wheel I couldn't even begin to break a lug nut loose... Got the road service and gave all the heavy tools to my mechanic and never even thought about doing such things again !

I still have the mechanic do my wheel/brake work on the 1 ton class C.
Those hubs are PIGS!

2 words.......Coach Net

When I have tires changed, rotated, repaired, etc, I ask the person doing the work NOT to use the air thing, to please hand-tighten the lug nuts.

rvpopeye said:
When I got my class A rig . The lug nuts were 1 1/2" on the 19.5" wheels (which weighed like 100#+ each) The lug torque was 500#'.

I went out and bought a set of 3/4" drive sockets , a 6 ton jack and matching stands........The first time I tried to change a wheel I couldn't even begin to break a lug nut loose... Got the road service and gave all the heavy tools to my mechanic and never even thought about doing such things again !

I still have the mechanic do my wheel/brake work on the 1 ton class C.
Those hubs are PIGS!  

2 words.......Coach Net

LOL!  I will be starting in a car though and then a van.  I can understand your predicament though. :)

TrainChaser said:
When I have tires changed, rotated, repaired, etc, I ask the person doing the work NOT to use the air thing, to please hand-tighten the lug nuts.
Why is that?   :huh: :-/

the air thing = air powered impact gun. lugs nuts are supposed to be hand tightened with a torque wrench. highdesertranger

Thank you, HDR. Sometimes there is a gap between "supposed to be" and the actual job.

I gave up on four way lug wrenches.  I carry a 3/4 drive breaker bar about 4 feet long, with a step down adapter to 1/2 inch drive on it and a 1/2 inch impact socket that fits my lugs.

I noticed the guys at my garage started using an electric ratchet to put lug nuts on small vehicles so I asked if the electrics had a torque setting like drills......the showed me these new socket extensions that were torque rated and automatically set torque ! Who knew?

I never doubted those guys , all "old school" trained by their dad and also owe part of every payday to Mr. Snap On!
They still use the monster air wrench on the big rigs with a final tweak with a giant torque wrench though...

And don't forget to re-torque after 100 miles folks.

gsfish said:
I'm old enough to remember when an impact wrench at the tire store was a new thing to see (and hear). At least in the little burg that I grew up in. Mostly it was done with the 4 way wrenches and that is what I still use. If you watch, many times the 'tech' at the tire place doesn't know there is a correct pattern for tightening the lugs on a wheel.
https://www.thoughtco.com/what-order-do-i-tighten-my-lug-nuts-281714

As an aside, you still hear it said in the news that someone was attacked with a "tire iron" when there is almost a 100% chance that it was a lug wrench. Totally different tool that most people wouldn't recognize today.
http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch-general-purpose-tire-iron-93230.html

Guy

When I grew up I also saw the 4-way lug wrench being used.  It seems more practical and user-friendly than the tire iron. P.S. I saw something a long time ago on the pattern to do the lug nuts so thanks for the reminder.  Recently, I had one tire replaced.  The guy didn't even know that there is a certain psi for the rear tires as opposed to the front.  I had to read it to him from the door panel.  It's pretty sad when I know a little more than a tires store, and I don't really know much of anything about cars!

XFILE36 said:
ArtW, 

I have a square of plywood.  What depth should it be?  Also, I asked a neighbor a few days ago to teach me how to patiently change a tire.  BTW, he has a class a or c rv, i forget which.  Do you know what he said?  He said he hasn't had to change a tire in 20 years because of AAA and couldn't help me.  LOL, sort of...being near other tribe members is a fantastic idea!

Depth? I guess you mean thickness, I like 3/4 inch plywood, a piece big enough to accommodate a floor jack: the whole idea is to spred the load so the jack doesn't sink into dirt / sand / mud
You may be limited by trunk size
AAA is a great idea, i just don't like relying on others
My travel trailer came with a free year of coachnet, and I have a Good Sam membership, so I guess i have towing from them too
It's one thing for your neighbor not to want to change tires, but to not remember how? It hasn't gotten more complex lol
RE the chocks, glad TC mentioned those, I didn't think of them, I have had the joy of a car rolling off a jack onto my delicate body while working under it, and NOT FUN doesn't begin to do it justice :O

I actually prefer the standard lug wrench over the 4 way, I use a technique that allows me to use my legs, rather than my arms, for the loosening, and it don't work with a 4 way, I also like the 'big ass breaker bar' idea, longer handles are better, though i can twist the lugnuts off with a standard lug wrench

ArtW said:
Depth? I guess you mean thickness, I like 3/4 inch plywood, a piece big enough to accommodate a floor jack: the whole idea is to spred the load so the jack doesn't sink into dirt / sand / mud
You may be limited by trunk size
AAA is a great idea, i just don't like relying on others
My travel trailer came with a free year of coachnet, and I have a Good Sam membership, so I guess i have towing from them too
It's one thing for your neighbor not to want to change tires, but to not remember how? It hasn't gotten more complex lol
RE the chocks, glad TC mentioned those, I didn't think of them, I have had the joy of a car rolling off a jack onto my delicate body while working under it, and NOT FUN doesn't begin to do it justice :O

I actually prefer the standard lug wrench over the 4 way, I use a technique that allows me to use my legs, rather than my arms, for the loosening, and it don't work with a 4 way, I also like the 'big ass breaker bar' idea, longer handles are better, though i can twist the lugnuts off with a standard lug wrench
LOL, yeah, I meant thickness.  Oh no!  That car rolling on body seems to happen a lot.   :p   I will have to get AAA or one of the others.

slynne said:
One thing that has helped me with that fear has been watching a youtube channel called "kombi life". The guy who runs it bought a vw kombi van in Chile and then drove it to Alaska! It took 4 years, largely because of all of the breakdowns. I think he rebuilt the engine himself something like 11 times! At any rate, one thing I noticed about his style was that he just had confidence that he would be able to handle things eventually. Plus, if that guy can break down in Central America and find help and figure things out (albeit sometimes taking a few months), I figure I can too especially since I largely intend to stay in N. America where services like mechanics and towing are more available.  In a van, as others have said, you are always home. You will always have time to figure things out, either how to earn money to hire someone to fix it for you or by learning how to fix the problem yourself. It might take a while but so what? You are already home.

Here is a link if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/user/kombilife

I absolutely love kombilife~  I'm getting ready to go cross country also and that show is an inspiration.

Isn't that the young handsome guy that gets a new pretty girl to travel with him every so many hundred miles? Pretty funny and would certainly be interesting to you guys out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that is him but I think things are pretty serious with the latest girl :) Still, he does seem to find a lot of attractive people, both male and female, on his adventures :)

I guess the best way to deal with breakdown is to educate yourself and always be ready. You can study your car manual or read some traveling guides. Be a novice mechanics, if you understand how to do basic fix-it work on your car you are empowered to be able to handle such situations yourself with less fear. Be calm when it happen so that you can think of the right things to do.