How do I deal with fear of breakdowns?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gargoyle said:
In all the years you've been driving, how many times have you broke down?

Taking an anxiety filled cat on a trip is foolhardy. It wont do you or the cat any good. Just being honest.

Put your worries aside. GO!

I need to sell my home/car and move east.   I have a friend in deep trouble in Georgia and need to go there ASAP.  My cat is my family and I am his.  I have no choice.

ArtW said:
Last BMW I did rotors on was an 82, rears were a PITA, as you had to dissemble the rear suspension, I have no idea if that's changed, fronts were easy
I haven't been censored, but they've monkeyed with subscriptions i have, channels I watch
The demonetization thing is a newspaper (wall Street journal? i don't remember) did a hit peice and scared the advertisers out, who don't understand adsense, with a lie regarding a coke ad on a white supremacist channel (or was it pepsi? no matter)
it shows how stupid people with degrees (advertising executives) can be
I have very little content, mostly video tours of my van and travel trailer, and some video of me lifting I shot to show to others on my strength training forum for form critique 'hey d00ds, how bad am I butchering this exercise?" lol

Hopefully your rotors aren't messed up (do you hear the great Barrier Reef, or is it still just squealing?)

Thanks, he died 32 years ago, so mostly it's fond memories now, not so much hurt, I sometimes imagine i still hear him telling me when i'm being dumb haha

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...7997CCCBACE12405FA087997CCCBACE1240&FORM=VIRE
AttW,    Yeah, youtube/google is doing some dumb stuff.  They are losing big names.  I too have a small channel.  I never monetized it.  My vids are on stuff they won't monetize any way, too controversial, exposing bad people and entities and what they like to call conspiracy theories.    LOL on your strength training vids.  My brakes don't make noise, but I can feel them grabbing/needing attention.  Thank you for the link :)

MrNoodly said:
The fact you are living in a vehicle doesn't increase the likelihood of a breakdown. The fact you're driving 2000 miles across country doesn't increase the likelihood of a breakdown any more than driving 2000 miles in your home town would. Driving somewhere you've never been before doesn't increase the likelihood of a breakdown. Driving alone (or with a cat) doesn't increase the likelihood of a breakdown.

MrNoodly,  I realize all that, but I am used to a car where I know it's been and I will be selling it for something used that I don't know for sure how it was maintained or if it has problems.  Thanks.

gsfish said:
My local library has a database for auto repair data that members can view online. Your library might have the same.

I would add to the spares list a serpentine belt. If you replace it just keep the old one for an emergency. You won't get far without one. Make sure your spare tire has air. Spare key hidden outside. I also have a vest like the road workers wear so I am more visible if I'm working on the truck. Enough cash to be able to buy a few things somewhere that doesn't take plastic. A sense of humor goes a long way sometimes too.

Guy
Guy, Thank you =all good stuff to know.  I will have to look up what a serpentine belt is though.  :rolleyes:

abnorm said:
You wrote:     ""The hardest thing I think about all this is my cat.  He has been an indoor cat (and my best-friend) all his life and only rode in my car for vet visits while being scared to death of the entire experience.  I think I will start taking him for rides in my car to try to get used to it.  Right now I am trying to train him to use a harness and leash.  The litter box is all he knows, so that is another big problem. ""

My two cats are very important to me........"I am their slave!"..........They have always been indoor cats also.......I'm not on the road yet but I'll share what I've done to prepare the cats for travel..............

I leash train them whenever I can..............they're not happy with it......but I get them outside and experience something new gradually

I purchased some Habitats/tents to let them enjoy the outside for short periods of time...........they're happy in the enclosed secure space while I'm working nearby

The Litter pan is extremely important.....Just consider the option if they didn't use it!!!!!!!.........I created a dedicated "box/cupboard" to house the pan.....added wheels so it's easy to pull-out and keep CLEAN........painted with oil paint 'cuss latex softens w/urine contact when they're messy..........It has a big opening so they're not trapped........and it's in the house NOW so they get used to using IT (I kept the New and Old pans side-by-side for a few days.......gradually moving the old pan away).......... Now they are happy with only the new box

Consider how and what kitty will "Live"/sleep in.........I selected a kitty-stroller for the mobility.......I keep it open next to my bed in the house.......now when they get off my bed they jump on some fluffy towels I keep in the stroller and are happy cats..........maybe let him get used to a soft sided carrier or even a  box with comfy stuff.....they're territorial......they WANT a secure space to call their own........when the box moves to the vehicle they will be reassured that they still have their "space" with them

My guys love their high spots always accessed by a tall scratching post...........I've got plans for the overhead spots in the new van........but for now I built the tall scratching post that I keep near my bed..........they got used to it ...........I keep reducing the size of the house........closing doors to rooms they once had access to.......attempting to train them to accept the close living arraignment

YMMV..............................doug
Abnorm/Doug,  LOL  I never knew slavedom until I met my cat too.  LOL !  Nice to meet another cat person who is heading out on the road.  Since it's just you and me reading this :p I will confess I have a baby stroller for my cat to sleep in in my home and a second jogging/bike stroller (very nice=need to sell it-like new).  I won't be able to take either, but I have a basket he will be OK with.  I should probably get the strollers out ASAP so he doesn't miss them.  I think I am going to have to start off living in my car with him until I sell my condo because of circumstances.  The oil paint is a smart idea.  I will take all your advice = thanks!   :)  P.S. When are you heading out and where you all going?  Got any pictures of your litter box set up for the van?

Sandi

Once my old cat got used to traveling, he will not stay home, but goes to the van door and tells me to hurry up.  He used to complain to the world at first. 

Set up a food and water dish for him.  I had a wide deep cup that I would keep 1/2 full while traveling.  When we stopped for a couple days it was filled full.

Litter box;  I took a tall storage tub (about 40 quart) and cut an opening on one end about 4 inches up.  I scoop the box twice a day and no smell. Tidy Cat Scoop comes in 5 gallon square buckets.  Every time I go to RTR, they are one of the first things to be taken off of the free pile. I have several of them as tool parts, and dry goods storage. 

Buy rainguards for the windows.  That way you can have the windows down a little for fresh air.  A vent fan is also a necessity.  It will keep the van from becoming an oven during even the hottest day. 

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...keywords=rain+guards+&rh=i:aps,k:rain+guards+

Attachments

• surplus at Q.jpg
    surplus at Q.jpg
    88.3 KB
slynne said:
Bob's channel is great too. Especially the educational value of it. I have learned so much!!! I have a lot of anxiety about things but especially this transition to a van life. For me, watching his videos helps me ease my anxieties simply by providing answers to all my crazy questions that I am afraid to ask. This forum has proved invaluable on that score too. There  is a LOT of knowledge shared here about EVERYTHING. The more videos I watch, the more I feel I can really do this. 

This van life dream was originally a lotto fantasy for me. I was at a party where we were all sitting around swapping lotto fantasies and when i shared mine, one of my friends just started laughing and said "you don't have to be rich to be unemployed and living in a van down by the river, dum dum!" and well, I had an epiphany and started looking into it. The anxiety came as I realized I could make this a reality so in that sense it is positive. It means you are challenging yourself and getting out of your comfort zone. I hope that you can find information as anxiety relieving as I do.
Slynne,

LOL on your lotto dream.  You are so right as for the anxiety.  We are moving somewhere we WANT to be.  I live in a condo where I have rude, nasty neighbors.  I will be so happy to have the ability to move away from people/things easily whenever I want.  I just have so much to do and get rid of too.  This forum of Bob's is invaluable as are his vids. 

Yes!  Information is VERY anxiety relieving for me too.  Thanks for your comment.  Are you on the road yet?

Sandi

slynne said:
Bob's channel is great too. Especially the educational value of it. I have learned so much!!! I have a lot of anxiety about things but especially this transition to a van life. For me, watching his videos helps me ease my anxieties simply by providing answers to all my crazy questions that I am afraid to ask. This forum has proved invaluable on that score too. There  is a LOT of knowledge shared here about EVERYTHING. The more videos I watch, the more I feel I can really do this. 

This van life dream was originally a lotto fantasy for me. I was at a party where we were all sitting around swapping lotto fantasies and when i shared mine, one of my friends just started laughing and said "you don't have to be rich to be unemployed and living in a van down by the river, dum dum!" and well, I had an epiphany and started looking into it. The anxiety came as I realized I could make this a reality so in that sense it is positive. It means you are challenging yourself and getting out of your comfort zone. I hope that you can find information as anxiety relieving as I do.
Slynne,

LOL on your lotto dream.  You are so right as for the anxiety.  We are moving somewhere we WANT to be.  I live in a condo where I have rude, nasty neighbors.  I will be so happy to have the ability to move away from people/things easily whenever I want.  I just have so much to do and get rid of too.  This forum of Bob's is invaluable as are his vids. 

Yes!  Information is VERY anxiety relieving for me too.  Thanks for your comment.  Are you on the road yet?  P.S.  I watched a couple of that channel's vids.  I cannot believe how many engines he went thru!!!!

Sandi

Gunny said:
I've had Good Sam for quite awhile for myself and my daughter. All of the roadside assistance companies contract their work out, but I have had good service from Good Sam.

Their rates are decent and they know they are dealing with an rv when you call. AAA doesn't always understand the difference in what you may need for tires or a tow truck.

Rob
Gunny,

Thanks for the info.

Sandi

GotSmart said:
Once my old cat got used to traveling, he will not stay home, but goes to the van door and tells me to hurry up.  He used to complain to the world at first. 

Set up a food and water dish for him.  I had a wide deep cup that I would keep 1/2 full while traveling.  When we stopped for a couple days it was filled full.

Litter box;  I took a tall storage tub (about 40 quart) and cut an opening on one end about 4 inches up.  I scoop the box twice a day and no smell. Tidy Cat Scoop comes in 5 gallon square buckets.  Every time I go to RTR, they are one of the first things to be taken off of the free pile. I have several of them as tool parts, and dry goods storage. 

Buy rainguards for the windows.  That way you can have the windows down a little for fresh air.  A vent fan is also a necessity.  It will keep the van from becoming an oven during even the hottest day. 

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...keywords=rain+guards+&rh=i:aps,k:rain+guards+
Gotsmart,  thank you and cute kitty. :D

Almost There said:
Knowing how to actually repair a car takes time, it's true.

Taking care of your vehicle and knowing how it sounds/behaves like is, IMO, actually more important.

Turning up the radio to hide a noise is NOT the right answer. :D

How to check your tire pressure and when to do it, checking your tires for problems, checking your fluid levels and just generally knowing  what to look for will get you a whole lot more driving safety than anything else. And confidence that you can handle anything that comes up.

It sounds like what you need is not automotive training but a car maintenance course. Here's a link to some information that should get you started.

http://www.autos.com/car-maintenance/tips-for-finding-a-car-maintenance-course

Almost There,  Thanks for the link!

MrNoodly said:
The fact you are living in a vehicle doesn't increase the likelihood of a breakdown. The fact you're driving 2000 miles across country doesn't increase the likelihood of a breakdown any more than driving 2000 miles in your home town would. Driving somewhere you've never been before doesn't increase the likelihood of a breakdown. Driving alone (or with a cat) doesn't increase the likelihood of a breakdown.

MrNoodly,

Somehow I didn't see your link until now.  Thank you for it :D

slynne said:
Not yet. I am in the getting rid of stuff and saving money phase.

I too am getting rid of stuff.  What an ordeal!  The clothes have me stumped, LOL.  After moving to Hawaii, and then back to CA, I thought I would never need to get rid of stuff ever again!  Young people, never say never!  LOL

waldenbound said:
Also, keep a strict maintenance schedule and don't slack off on it. Oil changes, coolant, transmission fluid, etc.

Waldenbound,

I just found your website!  Chicken and dumplings?!  Yumm, I love food and I LOVE to cook.  I will check out your site.  I have been (thankfully) overwhelmed with so much info from so many of you good people.   :D Thanks for the info. 

Sandi

XFile, also get one of those fabric cat harnesses, if you don't have one already.  Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Weather-Voya...F8&qid=1492976013&sr=1-6&keywords=cat+harness

Get OldKitty used to it long before you'll need it.  Just get her used to wearing it, first.  Then let her drag a leash so she gets used to attachments.  Then do a little guiding on the leash.  Then do some walking on the leash.  Get her used to the vehicle the same way:  sit in the car with her loose; let her stay there by herself; sit with her and turn the engine on, let it idle for a while; drive around the block; go on longer trips.  

Baby Steps all the way.  Cats are creatures of habit.  They can learn, but they need time to think about things for a while before they're comfortable with it.  Treats are good.

Also, when traveling ALWAYS CARRY WATER.  ALWAYS!  Dump the mindset of "I'll do that when we stop tonight".

When ArtW said to take a piece of heavy plywood with you to set the jack on, he did mean PLYWOOD.  Don't try to replace it with a piece of solid planking, which can split with weight and pressure on it.   I would also buy a pair of wheel chocks to prevent the car from rolling when you raise the jack.  They look like this:  https://www.amazon.com/MTC-20207-He...F8&qid=1492976432&sr=8-8&keywords=tire+chocks, but try to get some with at least one all-the-way-through hole in them, and then TIE them to your jack so you won't forget to use them.  If you're raising the jack and the vehicle rolls, the jack can get jammed underneath, and you're stuck.  We don't need to go into exactly how I know this.....  :blush:  Have a patient person show you how to change a tire:  YOU do all the work, he/she gives directions.  Make a written list of the steps you have to do, have it laminated, and keep it with your tools.

It would be better to keep a spare van key on a cord/chain around your neck than hidden under the van.  Even stupid car thieves know where to look.

TrainChaser said:
XFile, also get one of those fabric cat harnesses, if you don't have one already.  

That will provide a lot of amusement as the cat gets used to it.  Once they do ~~~ Rock that style!

Attachments

• harness.jpg
    harness.jpg
    44.9 KB
  • the boss.jpg
    the boss.jpg
    45.4 KB
"" I never knew slavedom until I met my cat too. ""

Hi Sandi....welcome....Here's a pic of the setup under const ...See under the desk......I've since added some castors.......the stroller I have is the jogger.....here's my girls

Desk and chair.jpg         Smudge and Blackie.jpg

doug

Attachments

• Desk and chair.jpg
    Desk and chair.jpg
    229.8 KB
  • Smudge and Blackie.jpg
    Smudge and Blackie.jpg
    326.4 KB