How do I deal with fear of breakdowns?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plywood is to put under the base of the jack if you need to raise the car on soft surfaces, like sand or mud, it spreads the load so the jack won't sink
I had the good fortune to learn from my father, and later work as a mechanic's helper, then mechanic, but you can learn from a Haynes manual (I like Haynes for beginners) asking folks to show you how to do things, and of course, the magical land of youtube
There are how to videos all over youtube, showing you how to do the basics
It really does help f you can find someone who likes explaining and teaching things. My Boss used to shake his head at my willingness to give mini lectures and show customers how things bolt together, but apparently lots of women in that area wanted to understand their vehicles' systems and we had a lot of business from that demographic
probably didn't hurt that we didn't operate a rip off joint, I effing hate mechanics who take advantage of people
there are smaller groups of dwellers who stick together, regroup onto new groups, etc, if you are travelling. A lot of 'dwellers find comfort in numbers

One thing that has helped me with that fear has been watching a youtube channel called "kombi life". The guy who runs it bought a vw kombi van in Chile and then drove it to Alaska! It took 4 years, largely because of all of the breakdowns. I think he rebuilt the engine himself something like 11 times! At any rate, one thing I noticed about his style was that he just had confidence that he would be able to handle things eventually. Plus, if that guy can break down in Central America and find help and figure things out (albeit sometimes taking a few months), I figure I can too especially since I largely intend to stay in N. America where services like mechanics and towing are more available. In a van, as others have said, you are always home. You will always have time to figure things out, either how to earn money to hire someone to fix it for you or by learning how to fix the problem yourself. It might take a while but so what? You are already home.

Here is a link if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/user/kombilife

Almost There said:
Instead of just looking at AAA, look at other emergency road service providers as well.

7 miles won't be of much help IMO...you need a much better plan that that, particularly if you're travelling across the country.

There are several available, although AAA seems to be the best known. Google emergency road service and start reading. Find one that works for what you figure you'll need.

For example, I use a company called Paragon, mainly because I travel for 6 months in each of Canada and the US and they offer continent wide coverage. I would have to have both AAA and CAA to accomplish what I do with one firm. I also have coverage that gives me up to 100 mile towing.

The one time that I was back out beyond the edges of 'civilization' on a forestry road and they couldn't find me on their mapping, they called a tow company in the nearest city that had a provider and had them call me to get directions. That was going beyond good customer care.
Almost There, I called Paragon and they wouldn't give me ANY information...because I currently live in California!  I told him I am going to be traveling across country and he still said no.  I asked him if I got an Arizona license if he would tell me and he still said NO!  LOL, If you ever plan on coming here, double check your coverage!  Thanks for replying. :p

Every Road Leads Home said:
If this is your first time traveling across country, i'm guessing you're not going to be venturing too far off the beaten path and into the middle of nowhere wilderness.  So there should be or can be help available anywhere you end up.  

That aside, get comfortable with as many aspects of your van that you can. Learning a few simple things can help you get out of the most common jams all on your own.  

Learn how to change your own tire and make sure you have a spare, jack and lug nut wrench.  
Learn how to put a repair plug in a tire and carry a kit to do so as well as a 12 volt air pump
Learn  how to jump start a car and carry a jumper pack
Learn how to check for blown fuses and carry spares (learning this is about as easy as changing a light bulb)
Learn how to check the fluid levels and carry an extra quart of oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, and steering fluid.  

Have a mechanic do a pre trip inspection and replace anything that needs it or will likely need it in the near future.  

Also carry extra food and medications that your cat may need in case you get stuck somewhere for a few days waiting on parts or any number of other reasons.  Extra medication for yourself too, if you rely on any.  Always make sure your cell phone is fully charged each morning before hitting the road and have a rough plan of what roads you will be taking in case you need to explain to someone where you are.  

Most importantly just have fun and enjoy the ride!
Every Road Leads Home,

The farthest I have driven is a straight drive of about 6 hours to San Francisco from L.A.  As a child I was a passenger traveling by car across country to camp places.  I need to end up in Georgia eventually, but I also would like to see some sights along the way, and travel around Georgia and surrounding states looking for land.  I would also like to meet some of you all along the way too and be around the tribe.  :)

Canada is also a place I would like to visit.  (Grew up in Ohio and took Sunday drives to Canada as a passenger.)  As for jumping cars, LOL, I learned to drive in Ohio, so jumping cars is ingrained in me, just as driving and pushing people out of snow, etc.  As for the fluids, I used to have other cars and checked them.  When I purchased my Beemer they told me I don't really run out of fluids often and they always checked them when I serviced it, so I have been spoiled in that way for 11 years.  I can re-learn that and carry back-up fluids = great ideas.  And the meds idea is good too.  The hardest thing I think about all this is my cat.  He has been an indoor cat (and my best-friend) all his life and only rode in my car for vet visits while being scared to death of the entire experience.  I think I will start taking him for rides in my car to try to get used to it.  Right now I am trying to train him to use a harness and leash.  The litter box is all he knows, so that is another big problem.   Thank you for your good advice.

hepcat said:
Take all of the good advice above, buy a membership to AAA Rv, and carry a bottle of Xanax.  (grin)

This was, of course, slightly tongue-in-cheek...  but there really is s some great advice being given here, in this thread.

I have carried, and continue to carry an "automotive" tool bag.  I have a 3/8" ratchet set, both metric and SAE  and a full set of wrenches, both metric and SAE.  I've got a "combo" screwdriver, and then a couple each of standard screwdrivers, pliers, two 6" vice grips, round jaw and needle nose, a volt-ohm meter, electrical tape, a wire coat hanger, side-cutters, wire ties and other odds-n-ends that I carry everywhere I go to do basic repairs.   And basic repairs are all that you'll be able to do on the side of the road with any "modern" engine.  I DID once change a water pump on my '77 F250 400 V-8 in a campground in Boon Toolies Wyoming with my 3/8" socket set though.  But you don't carry spare parts for modern engines, and much of what goes wrong has to be computer diagnosed anyway.

The advise about getting to know the sounds your vehicle makes when it's running right so you'll know when it's not is sound.  Find a mechanic you trust, and have them check EVERYTHING at EVERY oil change.  When he says something looks like it'll need repair in the near future, just get it done then.  You'll be BIG money ahead  in the long run, and you'll be amazed at how much lower your anxiety level is knowing that all is well. 

And take time to talk to your mechanic.  Have him answer questions, and show you what he's talking about on your vehicle when you don't recognize something.  Having a trusted mechanic available by phone when something DOES go wrong can also be a great help for advice in dealing with an unknown shop on the road, since he knows what is what on your car.  I have a couple of shops that I use (for different kinds of work) and they've both been very helpful in that way.

And DO get a AAA Rv membership (or an equivalent product...)  the towing alone is worth the annual fees.  I've used it a couple of times... I had a right front flat on a 23' class C moho and the bill to tow the moho just 20 miles home was over $600 because they sent a big-rig tow for it.

ArtW said:
The plywood is to put under the base of the jack if you need to raise the car on soft surfaces, like sand or mud, it spreads the load so the jack won't sink
I had the good fortune to learn from my father, and later work as a mechanic's helper, then mechanic, but you can learn from a Haynes manual (I like Haynes for beginners) asking folks to show you how to do things, and of course, the magical land of youtube
There are how to videos all over youtube, showing you how to do the basics
It really does help f you can find someone who likes explaining and teaching things. My Boss used to shake his head at my willingness to give mini lectures and show customers how things bolt together, but apparently lots of women in that area wanted to understand their vehicles' systems and we had a lot of business from that demographic
probably didn't hurt that we didn't operate a rip off joint, I effing hate mechanics who take advantage of people
there are smaller groups of dwellers who stick together, regroup onto new groups, etc, if you are travelling. A lot of 'dwellers find comfort in numbers

ArtW,

I used to watch my father work on his usually Ford trucks as a child and watched him repair electrical things in his shop in the basement.  He unfortunately died a couple months before I was 7, but I think hanging out with him taught me A LOT.  I am very mechanically inclined and can do many things repairing my home that most women don't know how to do AND I HAVE SOME TOOLS!  LOL!   I love being self-sufficient!  The only thing I need is a teacher and you are right about Youtube, as I have learned so much there.  You are very fortunate to have had your dad and an honest business to work.  People in L.A. are not the friendly type to teach mechanics and are very unhelpful.  (That's another reason I so appreciate this website and all you friendly, helpful people.)  I have had those rip off joints and have caught them trying to rip me off too.  I will definitely check out Haynes Manual.  Will it help with my current BMW, or is that a different electronic ballgame?  Thanks Art.

slynne said:
One thing that has helped me with that fear has been watching a youtube channel called "kombi life". The guy who runs it bought a vw kombi van in Chile and then drove it to Alaska! It took 4 years, largely because of all of the breakdowns. I think he rebuilt the engine himself something like 11 times! At any rate, one thing I noticed about his style was that he just had confidence that he would be able to handle things eventually. Plus, if that guy can break down in Central America and find help and figure things out (albeit sometimes taking a few months), I figure I can too especially since I largely intend to stay in N. America where services like mechanics and towing are more available.  In a van, as others have said, you are always home. You will always have time to figure things out, either how to earn money to hire someone to fix it for you or by learning how to fix the problem yourself. It might take a while but so what? You are already home.

Here is a link if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/user/kombilife

Slynne,  thank you for the link.  I will check out his vids. & I just subbed his channel. I am still trying to catch up on Bob's youtube channel.   :rolleyes:

hepcat said:
This was, of course, slightly tongue-in-cheek...  but there really is s some great advice being given here, in this thread.

I have carried, and continue to carry an "automotive" tool bag.  I have a 3/8" ratchet set, both metric and SAE  and a full set of wrenches, both metric and SAE.  I've got a "combo" screwdriver, and then a couple each of standard screwdrivers, pliers, two 6" vice grips, round jaw and needle nose, a volt-ohm meter, electrical tape, a wire coat hanger, side-cutters, wire ties and other odds-n-ends that I carry everywhere I go to do basic repairs.   And basic repairs are all that you'll be able to do on the side of the road with any "modern" engine.  I DID once change a water pump on my '77 F250 400 V-8 in a campground in Boon Toolies Wyoming with my 3/8" socket set though.  But you don't carry spare parts for modern engines, and much of what goes wrong has to be computer diagnosed anyway.

The advise about getting to know the sounds your vehicle makes when it's running right so you'll know when it's not is sound.  Find a mechanic you trust, and have them check EVERYTHING at EVERY oil change.  When he says something looks like it'll need repair in the near future, just get it done then.  You'll be BIG money ahead  in the long run, and you'll be amazed at how much lower your anxiety level is knowing that all is well. 

And take time to talk to your mechanic.  Have him answer questions, and show you what he's talking about on your vehicle when you don't recognize something.  Having a trusted mechanic available by phone when something DOES go wrong can also be a great help for advice in dealing with an unknown shop on the road, since he knows what is what on your car.  I have a couple of shops that I use (for different kinds of work) and they've both been very helpful in that way.

And DO get a AAA Rv membership (or an equivalent product...)  the towing alone is worth the annual fees.  I've used it a couple of times... I had a right front flat on a 23' class C moho and the bill to tow the moho just 20 miles home was over $600 because they sent a big-rig tow for it.
Hepcat,

LOL on the Xanax comment, but try to stay away from those things.   Maybe for my cat?  Thank you for the suggestions. :)

i think we have a miscomunication:
A Haynes Manual is a repair manual for a specific vehicle, for example Ford van 19XX-20XX, it's a paperback hold it in your hands manual that gives step by step breakdowns of how to do thing, and a careful reader with mechanical aptitude could teach their-selves a lot from just getting the manual out and following the steps, especially the simpler stuff like front brake pads
Since they are vehicle specific you would need separate ones for the BMW and whatever van you get
YouTube is a good resource too, though
Type in something like 'replacing brake pads 2005 BMW 325i' and you should get some results, i had some good channels, but YT messed up my subscriptions and I've been re adding them as i think of what they were lol
I am very lucky to have had an old hot rodder for a dad, learned a lot from him, though he really didn't want to teach me, I think he didn't want me to grow up to be a mechanic, and after working in the industry, I understand why
Damn I miss him, crippled when I was 15, died when i was 18, he gets smarter as i get older

Well whatta you know, I just checked and Haynes Manual does have a YT channel, I wonder if it covers specific vehicles? Interesting

ArtW said:
i think we have a miscomunication:
A Haynes Manual is a repair manual for a specific vehicle, for example Ford van 19XX-20XX, it's a paperback hold it in your hands manual that gives step by step breakdowns of how to do thing, and a careful reader with mechanical aptitude could teach their-selves a lot from just getting the manual out and following the steps, especially the simpler stuff like front brake pads  
Since they are vehicle specific you would need separate ones for the BMW and whatever van you get
YouTube is a good resource too, though
Type in something like 'replacing brake pads 2005 BMW 325i' and you should get some results, i had some good channels, but YT messed up my subscriptions and I've been re adding them as i think of what they were lol
I am very lucky to have had an old hot rodder for a dad, learned a lot from him, though he really didn't want to teach me, I think he didn't want me to grow up to be a mechanic, and after working in the industry, I understand why
Damn I miss him, crippled when I was 15, died when i was 18, he gets smarter as i get older

Well whatta you know, I just checked and Haynes Manual does have a YT channel, I wonder if it covers specific vehicles? Interesting
ArtW, Oh, I see now.  lol.  Funny you mention it, as I NEED brakes and an oil change right now for my BMW.  I am over due on the breaks, so it may need more than pads... :( I hope not.  If it needed more like rotors is that real difficult? 

I'm sorry about your dad.   Great you learned to do it and was able to watch him when you could.  Mechanics do hard work.  I used to have a friend who was one.  It would be a dream of mine to know how to do it.

Youtube is censoring my channel too so I can relate.  I have been thinking of closing my channel because of all the Bravo Sierra!  LOL  I will search for Haynes on there and see what comes up.  Thanks Art.

lenny flank said:
AAA = best deal ever

:)

LENNY FLANK,

Do you have to get an RV membership for a converted van or a class B? or just a regular membership  It seems only to tow 7 miles.  Which one do you have?

XFILE36 said:
Hepcat,

LOL on the Xanax comment, but try to stay away from those things.   Maybe for my cat?  Thank you for the suggestions. :)

Do you need to get RV AAA or just a regular membership for a van, converted van, or a class B?  Isaw it only tows 7 miles.  Is that what you have?

In all the years you've been driving, how many times have you broke down?

Taking an anxiety filled cat on a trip is foolhardy. It wont do you or the cat any good. Just being honest.

Put your worries aside. GO!

Last BMW I did rotors on was an 82, rears were a PITA, as you had to dissemble the rear suspension, I have no idea if that's changed, fronts were easy
I haven't been censored, but they've monkeyed with subscriptions i have, channels I watch
The demonetization thing is a newspaper (wall Street journal? i don't remember) did a hit peice and scared the advertisers out, who don't understand adsense, with a lie regarding a coke ad on a white supremacist channel (or was it pepsi? no matter)
it shows how stupid people with degrees (advertising executives) can be
I have very little content, mostly video tours of my van and travel trailer, and some video of me lifting I shot to show to others on my strength training forum for form critique 'hey d00ds, how bad am I butchering this exercise?" lol

Hopefully your rotors aren't messed up (do you hear the great Barrier Reef, or is it still just squealing?)

Thanks, he died 32 years ago, so mostly it's fond memories now, not so much hurt, I sometimes imagine i still hear him telling me when i'm being dumb haha

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...7997CCCBACE12405FA087997CCCBACE1240&FORM=VIRE

The fact you are living in a vehicle doesn't increase the likelihood of a breakdown. The fact you're driving 2000 miles across country doesn't increase the likelihood of a breakdown any more than driving 2000 miles in your home town would. Driving somewhere you've never been before doesn't increase the likelihood of a breakdown. Driving alone (or with a cat) doesn't increase the likelihood of a breakdown.

You wrote:     ""The hardest thing I think about all this is my cat.  He has been an indoor cat (and my best-friend) all his life and only rode in my car for vet visits while being scared to death of the entire experience.  I think I will start taking him for rides in my car to try to get used to it.  Right now I am trying to train him to use a harness and leash.  The litter box is all he knows, so that is another big problem. ""

My two cats are very important to me........"I am their slave!"..........They have always been indoor cats also.......I'm not on the road yet but I'll share what I've done to prepare the cats for travel..............

I leash train them whenever I can..............they're not happy with it......but I get them outside and experience something new gradually

I purchased some Habitats/tents to let them enjoy the outside for short periods of time...........they're happy in the enclosed secure space while I'm working nearby

The Litter pan is extremely important.....Just consider the option if they didn't use it!!!!!!!.........I created a dedicated "box/cupboard" to house the pan.....added wheels so it's easy to pull-out and keep CLEAN........painted with oil paint 'cuss latex softens w/urine contact when they're messy..........It has a big opening so they're not trapped........and it's in the house NOW so they get used to using IT (I kept the New and Old pans side-by-side for a few days.......gradually moving the old pan away).......... Now they are happy with only the new box

Consider how and what kitty will "Live"/sleep in.........I selected a kitty-stroller for the mobility.......I keep it open next to my bed in the house.......now when they get off my bed they jump on some fluffy towels I keep in the stroller and are happy cats..........maybe let him get used to a soft sided carrier or even a  box with comfy stuff.....they're territorial......they WANT a secure space to call their own........when the box moves to the vehicle they will be reassured that they still have their "space" with them

My guys love their high spots always accessed by a tall scratching post...........I've got plans for the overhead spots in the new van........but for now I built the tall scratching post that I keep near my bed..........they got used to it ...........I keep reducing the size of the house........closing doors to rooms they once had access to.......attempting to train them to accept the close living arraignment

YMMV..............................doug

XFILE36 said:
Do you need to get RV AAA or just a regular membership for a van, converted van, or a class B?  Isaw it only tows 7 miles.  Is that what you have?

AAA RV covers towing an RV for up to 100 miles.  It's WELL worth the money.  It doesn't care whether your RV is a B-van or a class A.  Good Sam Club offers a similar product as well.  Both are good and both offer peace of mind.

XFILE36 said:
Slynne,  thank you for the link.  I will check out his vids. &  I just subbed his channel. I am still trying to catch up on Bob's youtube channel.   :rolleyes:

Bob's channel is great too. Especially the educational value of it. I have learned so much!!! I have a lot of anxiety about things but especially this transition to a van life. For me, watching his videos helps me ease my anxieties simply by providing answers to all my crazy questions that I am afraid to ask. This forum has proved invaluable on that score too. There  is a LOT of knowledge shared here about EVERYTHING. The more videos I watch, the more I feel I can really do this. 

This van life dream was originally a lotto fantasy for me. I was at a party where we were all sitting around swapping lotto fantasies and when i shared mine, one of my friends just started laughing and said "you don't have to be rich to be unemployed and living in a van down by the river, dum dum!" and well, I had an epiphany and started looking into it. The anxiety came as I realized I could make this a reality so in that sense it is positive. It means you are challenging yourself and getting out of your comfort zone. I hope that you can find information as anxiety relieving as I do.

I've had Good Sam for quite awhile for myself and my daughter. All of the roadside assistance companies contract their work out, but I have had good service from Good Sam.

Their rates are decent and they know they are dealing with an rv when you call. AAA doesn't always understand the difference in what you may need for tires or a tow truck.

Rob