How do I deal with fear of breakdowns?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XFILE36

Reaction score
This may be a little off topic, but I am new and am looking to get a van.  I plan on driving across country with my elderly sick cat.  I have the fear of breaking down in the middle of nowhere.  Any suggestions?

* Know how to change a tire.
* Carry a lantern that can light up what you're doing after dark -- not a dinky little thing.
* Carry road flares.
* Know how to check the oil, and carry a jug of it with you.
* Keep the cell phone charged, or be able to do it in the vehicle.
* Buy some AAA (American Automobile Association) roadside service (only good on pavement, not out in the boondocks). There's one emergency phone number for the whole country: 1-800-AAA-HELP https://wa.aaa.com/membership/membe...RjYcaAhla8P8HAQ&referer=www.aaa.com&zip=98168
* Keep a white handkerchief in the glove box for a signal flag -- it you need help, tie a knot in the corner and roll it up in the top front edge of the driver's window (catching the knot inside). Cops know what it means.
* Keep the doors locked and the windows up, and beware of good samaritans (some aren't).
* Buy a Rand McNally Road Atlas (IOW, don't depend on GPS), and know where you are, where you're going, and what road/highway you're on. Keeping an eye on milepost markers can be really handy.
* If you're camping, make a point of getting to camp before dark. A breakdown in the dark is the pits, and making an extra 50 miles just isn't worth it.
* It's cheaper to get the rig checked over before you leave than to pay for repairs at Rip-Off Joe's place.

Trainchaser made a number of good points.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you're living in your van, you have your home with you.  You have your bed, you have your food and water, you have your cat's food with you.  It's not like breaking down in the middle of nowhere in a rental car.

Worst case scenario, you get towed in somewhere and can't stay in your van for a night or two.  So you're in a motel for a night, and if they won't take pets, you may need to find a vet that could board your cat for a day.  Budget for that in your emergency funds.

Lots of good advice there.....I think trainchasers last sentence is the most important

Also, keep a strict maintenance schedule and don't slack off on it. Oil changes, coolant, transmission fluid, etc.

I am thinking deep breaths and an emergency backup credit card. Thing will happen and fear of the unknown is somewhat illogical.

I can't speak for anywhere else but out here in the west, in rural America you will find that most folks are pretty friendly and many will stop to help. The chances of being truly broke down in the middle of nowhere without some sort of help nearby are pretty small.

Adhere to the rest of the advice and keep your cell phone charged. Even in Wyoming we have some paved roads and pretty good cell service.

TrainChaser,
Very good advice and I added a bunch of your list to my list of things to buy/do.  What DO YOU DO if you break down off pavement?  Thank you for everything! :)

Optimistic P,
Thank you and I will keep the pet fund in mind. :)

I broke down on a county road, close to nowhere. Managed to get off the road (no shoulder) and into a parking lot of an empty commercial building.  (The new wheel bearings exploded on the right front wheel.). Called AAA and although it took over three hours to get a tow truck there, they called me every thirty minutes or so to update me.  They were apologetic about the delay and I said to the lady, "I'm parked in the shade, laying on my bed, having lunch, watching the cows in the pasture across the road, no problem."  What was mentioned above, you're in your home so relax and enjoy the break!

Funny thing was I was on the last leg of my journey home.  AAA said they were really sorry but the nearest AAA shop was in a town 85 miles away.  I laughed and said, "that's 5 miles from where I live."  They offered to get me a rental car.  I said, "No need, I'll just call my daughter to come get me."

Happy ending.

wagoneer said:
I am thinking deep breaths and an emergency backup credit card. Thing will happen and fear of the unknown is somewhat illogical.

wagoneer,

Not really (illogical) when you are used to having a car with very low miles, is extremely dependable, and you know it's true history...the back up credit card is a good idea.  Thanks.

Keep a square of plywood with your jack for tire changes, and start now learning repair and maintenance for yourself, if you're not physically unable to do such tasks
keep yourself in good walking shoes or hiking boots
Try to be near other tribe members :D

If your rig doesn't break down where you live for a couple of thousand miles it probably won't going further down the road either.......................................

Service on schedule .
Keep an emergency fund and don't waste your brain on worrying.

Happy Trails !

I'm confused because AAA says they tow up to 7 miles and then it says, "When a vehicle cannot be started or safely driven due to a breakdown, accident, or other covered vehicle disablement, the independent service provider can tow the vehicle back to its facility, no matter how far away, at no charge to the member1. If the member chooses to have the vehicle towed to another location (including a AAA Approved Auto Repair facility), the member can choose a destination of their choice up to seven driving miles in any direction from the point of breakdown.2",  can anyone clarify?

Instead of just looking at AAA, look at other emergency road service providers as well.

7 miles won't be of much help IMO...you need a much better plan that that, particularly if you're travelling across the country.

There are several available, although AAA seems to be the best known. Google emergency road service and start reading. Find one that works for what you figure you'll need.

For example, I use a company called Paragon, mainly because I travel for 6 months in each of Canada and the US and they offer continent wide coverage. I would have to have both AAA and CAA to accomplish what I do with one firm. I also have coverage that gives me up to 100 mile towing.

The one time that I was back out beyond the edges of 'civilization' on a forestry road and they couldn't find me on their mapping, they called a tow company in the nearest city that had a provider and had them call me to get directions. That was going beyond good customer care.

Stargazer said:
I broke down on a county road, close to nowhere. Managed to get off the road (no shoulder) and into a parking lot of an empty commercial building.  (The new wheel bearings exploded on the right front wheel.). Called AAA and although it took over three hours to get a tow truck there, they called me every thirty minutes or so to update me.  They were apologetic about the delay and I said to the lady, "I'm parked in the shade, laying on my bed, having lunch, watching the cows in the pasture across the road, no problem."  What was mentioned above, you're in your home so relax and enjoy the break!

Funny thing was I was on the last leg of my journey home.  AAA said they were really sorry but the nearest AAA shop was in a town 85 miles away.  I laughed and said, "that's 5 miles from where I live."  They offered to get me a rental car.  I said, "No need, I'll just call my daughter to come get me."

Happy ending.

:D  Good ending.

If this is your first time traveling across country, i'm guessing you're not going to be venturing too far off the beaten path and into the middle of nowhere wilderness. So there should be or can be help available anywhere you end up.

That aside, get comfortable with as many aspects of your van that you can. Learning a few simple things can help you get out of the most common jams all on your own.

Learn how to change your own tire and make sure you have a spare, jack and lug nut wrench.
Learn how to put a repair plug in a tire and carry a kit to do so as well as a 12 volt air pump
Learn how to jump start a car and carry a jumper pack
Learn how to check for blown fuses and carry spares (learning this is about as easy as changing a light bulb)
Learn how to check the fluid levels and carry an extra quart of oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, and steering fluid.

Have a mechanic do a pre trip inspection and replace anything that needs it or will likely need it in the near future.

Also carry extra food and medications that your cat may need in case you get stuck somewhere for a few days waiting on parts or any number of other reasons. Extra medication for yourself too, if you rely on any. Always make sure your cell phone is fully charged each morning before hitting the road and have a rough plan of what roads you will be taking in case you need to explain to someone where you are.

Most importantly just have fun and enjoy the ride!

ArtW said:
Keep a square of plywood with your jack for tire changes, and start now learning repair and maintenance for yourself, if you're not physically unable to do such tasks
keep yourself in good walking shoes or hiking boots
Try to be near other tribe members :D

ArtW, 

What's the plywood for?  I do have some physical limitations, but how do you learn to repair a van/car?  I know there is community college, but that takes a couple years which I don't really have now.  I have always wanted to learn how to fix my car myself, but I have a BMW, as you know, and the mechanics are supposedly "BMW Certified", so I think that takes additional training beyond the 2 years?  (I am probably starting in my car until I get the van.)   (I always wear special shoes with springs in the heals, for my bad back, etc., so that's not a problem.)  How do you make sure you are near other tribe members? Thank you.

Take all of the good advice above, buy a membership to AAA Rv, and carry a bottle of Xanax. (grin)

Knowing how to actually repair a car takes time, it's true.

Taking care of your vehicle and knowing how it sounds/behaves like is, IMO, actually more important.

Turning up the radio to hide a noise is NOT the right answer. :D

How to check your tire pressure and when to do it, checking your tires for problems, checking your fluid levels and just generally knowing  what to look for will get you a whole lot more driving safety than anything else. And confidence that you can handle anything that comes up.

It sounds like what you need is not automotive training but a car maintenance course. Here's a link to some information that should get you started.

http://www.autos.com/car-maintenance/tips-for-finding-a-car-maintenance-course