House Battery

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpio125

Reaction score
<div>Cargo Van. Check</div>Plumbing. Check<div>Heat. Check</div><div>Bed. Check</div><div>Stove. Check</div><div>House battery..... WTH!!!!</div><div><br></div><div>I have read almost every single post on this website. I get all the nuances.. AGM, Isolater, inverter, solar, etc.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>What I need is a simple&nbsp;straight&nbsp;forward diagram. Starting at the truck battery for 2 House batteries with isolater and inverter all the way to the outlet in the the back.&nbsp;</div><div>NO SOLAR</div><div><br></div><div>I just don't see much info except bits and pieces and partial pictures.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Also i have heard there is a kit out there that has all the components?</div><div><br></div><div>Any help on basic setup would be good.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

scorpio125 said:
<div>Cargo Van. Check</div>Plumbing. Check<div>Heat. Check</div><div>Bed. Check</div><div>Stove. Check</div><div>House battery..... WTH!!!!</div><div><br></div><div>I have read almost every single post on this website. I get all the nuances.. AGM, Isolater, inverter, solar, etc.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>What I need is a simple&nbsp;straight&nbsp;forward diagram. Starting at the truck battery for 2 House batteries with isolater and inverter all the way to the outlet in the the back.&nbsp;</div><div>NO SOLAR</div><div><br></div><div>I just don't see much info except bits and pieces and partial pictures.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Also i have heard there is a kit out there that has all the components?</div><div><br></div><div>Any help on basic setup would be good.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Scorpio if you are looking for good info, a good place is phrannie.org, a good web site is&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="http://www.amsolar.com" target=_blank>www.amsolar.com</a></div><div>&nbsp;<br></div>

scorpio125 said:
<div>Cargo Van. Check</div>Plumbing. Check<div>Heat. Check</div><div>Bed. Check</div><div>Stove. Check</div><div>House battery..... WTH!!!!</div><div><br></div><div>I have read almost every single post on this website. I get all the nuances.. AGM, Isolater, inverter, solar, etc.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>What I need is a simple&nbsp;straight&nbsp;forward diagram. Starting at the truck battery for 2 House batteries with isolater and inverter all the way to the outlet in the the back.&nbsp;</div><div>NO SOLAR</div><div><br></div><div>I just don't see much info except bits and pieces and partial pictures.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Also i have heard there is a kit out there that has all the components?</div><div><br></div><div>Any help on basic setup would be good.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><p>
FYI, There is quiet a bit of info on phrannie, but well worth reading it all. Just keep on reading it will get to how to hook up almost anything. </p><p style="margin: 0px;">As for my take on batteries, i do belive i have had most of the brands and kinds over the years. What i now tell anyone who is buying, get the best you can afford, take good care of them. I now have 2 6v lifelines. 220AH each. Works excellent, and i feel the best, for me, on the market today</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Good luck. Roy</p>

NOT INTERESTED IN SOLAR<div><br></div><div>All I'd like is a instructions from the alternator back.&nbsp;</div>

Seraphim -&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>I found the diagram. It shows mainly connecting to AV power tree. Being that I'm a stealth van that's not likely.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Any other diagrams?</div>

I think you'd want the capability installed - the opportunities to plug in and charge may pop up more often than you've considered. Easier to install on the initial build than add later. If you want no AC whatsoever, eliminate the green and orange components in the diagram. Everything will charge just off the alternator, and you can only run DC off of the system., unless you add the inverter.

Just because you have the capability for AC doesn't mean you have to use it. It won't be visible when you're in stealth mode, but if someone offers you a place to park with AC hookup, you'll be set up to take advantage of the offer. Or you may go rural and buy or borrow a generator: you're already wired for it.

OK. - I was slow because I hadn't had coffees yet. That AV picture you posted is deceiving, because that's not how electric circuits work in a car, specifically. The negative (black wires) are actually the car frame. I was referring to the multi-colored diagram in the article. The arrows show which way the current will flow.

I don't know if you understand circuits or not (?)

For the above image to be correct in a car, the black wires from the batteries would attach to the car frame, as would the black wire from the transceiver. Current would flow from the batteries to the transceiver to the car frame and back to the battery.

Saves having to run a return (ground) wire from every device back to the battery or fuse box. The car frame is one thick wire.

Use it for 12v only.

Maybe one of our electricians can sketch a quick diagram for what you want. I'll see if I have any car books left. I've been cleaning out the place.

Research the Blue Sea 7622 Relay on this forum and you'll find this relay is the perfect relay for Boondocking... &nbsp;It's a magnetic relay so it draws less amps to run, and is safer. &nbsp;Plus, you can then use the house battery(s) to jump the engine battery if needed. &nbsp;I mounted mine here (pass door base), and it works perfectly.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>
0504011833-1.jpg
</div>

The diagram from Ionfu is perfect!! My one comment is that I think it makes it clearer to call that device a solenoid instead of a relay. Solenoids are perfect for this application because they are simple, cheap and their service life is counted by the decades. Cole Hersee is a very good brand. Be aware you want a "continuous duty" solenoid not an intermittent duty. It won't hold up for this application. Here is one for $24<br>http://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-2...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1322082341&amp;sr=8-1<br><br>That Blue Sea looks great, but it is very expensive. I keep it to the KISS principle whenever I can, and nothing beats a solenoid for that. Bob<br>&nbsp;<br>

All great thanks guys!<div><br></div><div>The picture I posted was from this product..</div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.powerwerx.com/batteries-chargers/isopwr-auxiliary-battery-isolator.html#desc" target="_blank">http://www.powerwerx.com/batteries-chargers/isopwr-auxiliary-battery-isolator.html#desc</a></div><div><br></div><div>Anyone have any&nbsp;experience&nbsp;with it? I know I would need an inverter after the battery to run AC. &nbsp;I believe what it does is charge the house battery off the main battery.Thus the diagram pictured.</div>

You're not going to be able to run ac on an inverter. &nbsp;You'll need a generator.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Also, the 7622 is rated at 500 amps. &nbsp;I plan on getting a 200 amp alternator for running my microwave without drawing down any house battery power, since I only have a total of 3 AGM's.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Whatever you decide, make sure the solenoid/relay is up to par with your alternator amp output.&nbsp;</div>

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">That Blue Sea looks great, but it is very expensive. I keep it to the KISS principle whenever I can, and nothing beats a solenoid for that. Bob</span>
<div><br></div><div>I don't know Bob, the Blue Sea is now 195 bucks, and is FAR SUPERIOR to any solenoid. The blue sea is designed to not to need the 2 fuses (for jumping purposes), so there'd be savings there.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Also, the wiring is just as easy. &nbsp;1 ground wire to frame, and two 4gauge positive wires.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Before the van, I had Dodge Ram and Lance camper. &nbsp;I went through 2 heavy duty continuous duty solenoids. &nbsp;The worst part is not knowing they are not working &nbsp;until you need that house battery power... &nbsp;And, having the security of knowing I can jump my dead engine battery is priceless...&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>JMHO...</div><div><br></div><div>AJ</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

All great thanks guys!<div><br></div><div>The picture I posted was from this product..</div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.powerwerx.com/batteries-chargers/isopwr-auxiliary-battery-isolator.html#desc" target="_blank">http://www.powerwerx.com/batteries-chargers/isopwr-auxiliary-battery-isolator.html#desc</a></div><div><br></div><div>Anyone have any&nbsp;experience&nbsp;with it? I know I would need an inverter after the battery to run AC. &nbsp;I believe what it does is charge the house battery off the main battery.Thus the diagram pictured.</div>

Anyone have any experience with it? I know I would need an inverter after the battery to run AC. I believe what it does is charge the house battery off the main battery.Thus the diagram pictured.

The diagram you refer to is not complete. See below.

The house battery does not charge off the main battery. It chargers off the alternator, which is not shown in that picture of the isolator you linked to. When the vehicle is not running, your system will not charge (without an external power source: shore power, generator). Your house battery will not power an air conditioner, even with an inverter. The inverter will only convert 12v Dc to 110vac, but an air conditioner pulls too much power for a battery based system.

* by AC I'm not sure if you mean alternating current or air conditioning lol? I think 4x4 meant you could not run air conditioning off an inverter. You CAN run alternating current off an inverter.

In the diagram above, Which shows only the house electrical system, the isolator would go between the alternator and the (house) battery bank. The ignition battery would feed off the the isolator, so the the alternator would charge it as well as the house battery bank. The above diagram also shows how a 110 shore power system would wire in, as well as generator. You would need one of those two to power an air conditioner.

the arrows show the flow of current, but the diagram does not show the grounds.

This help?