House battery placement

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Todo

Reaction score
So as with anything I try to plan out, I'm back and forth about many factors.
For my house battery I bought a LiFePO4 4 cell prismatic array, originally intending to mount in my high top alcove over the front seats.
But then I got to thinking this may get too hot for the battery in warmer weather and decided it may be best behind the rear wheel well.
But now I'm thinking it may be better in colder weather in the alcove.
If in the alcove I'd also have the components there as well, charger & inverter but mounted so I could see from the drivers seat.
Also, batteries would be _ _ _ _ instead of l l l l so it should tuck up nicely, I'd build some sort of rack it all mounts in and slides out for access.
Any thoughts on either mounting location?

What's the weight? Generally you'd want to keep the weight of batteries down low in a van.

I went the cheap way with lead acid. I was told that a lot of people who don’t know much about battery banks and solar etc. ruin that for a set of batteries. I’m trying to manage it properly but if I ruined it said I’ve only got $350 into it not a small fortune those nice fancy batteries cost. I build a battery compartment out of plywood with a gasket on the lid and a vent going out the bottom of the van. So happens that vent gave me a way to bring wires in also. My refrigerator sits on top The battery box and actually I could put a little bit bigger refrigerator up there if I change in the future. I like that refrigerator up on top of the battery box because it’s much easier to get into it. The batteries at the heaviest thing in my build they are on the passenger side over the rear axle. Most of my storage cabinets including my small library etc. is on the driver side so it balances out the weight. Until I put my fat butt on the driver seat and maybe the passenger side is lighter than the driver side.

The problem with venting your battery box at the bottom is that the explosive hydrogen gas that is generated during battery charging is lighter than air, and thus won't be vented out of your battery box.

AuricTeck - I did think of that but the several people that helped me seemed very knowledgeable and said it was not a problem since the battery box is totally sealed everywhere else. Anybody else want to chime in. I will admit I am ignorant about a lot of things.

If the alcove is too hot, how about insulating the batteries?

abnorm said:
^  1,756 AH at 12.8 volts....TYPO ? You said: "... I paid $550 for a 1756AH battery..."

D'OH! Yes, sorry, 176AH
MrNoodly said:
If the alcove is too hot, how about insulating the batteries?

That's what I was wondering about, or some sort of shielding above them, maybe something with Reflektix?
Not sure about how to go about this.