Hot vs Cold Climates?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyntonstu

Reaction score
Forgetting ice or snow for the moment, I believe that cold is easier to deal with than heat.

If you wear enough layers of clothes, you can be comfortable in very cold climates.

A good sleeping bag will allow you to sleep in freezing areas.

If you are in 97*F with high humidity and you strip, you will still feel hot.

A small wood stove and some kindling and you can heat your van with ease and without electric power.

In the heat you have to power your AC to feel comfortable.

What do you prefer?

Always shoot for cool - unless there's an activity that demands the heat. Then the activity trumps the weather, right?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

JesseTrue said:
Always shoot for cool - unless there's an activity that demands the heat.  Then the activity trumps the weather, right?

I agree.

However, most folks do not want to scrape ice from windshields or skid in the snow.

Where is it mostly cool with little snow?

We lived in Pensacola, FL and the snow lasted about 30 minutes.

Not too bad temperature wise.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Florida/Places/pensacola-temperatures-by-month-average.php

By cold, I mean lows of 40. [emoji869][emoji3]

why not move with the temp. no need to stay where it's bitterly cold, or miserably hot, right. highdesertranger

Exactly. Stay where it never gets below X (40 in my case) or above Y (90 in my case).

I'm getting really tired of winter. The wind whipping down your neck is what really sucks- I don't even mind it being -15°F, or big snows (kind pretty and fun to drive in!) it's the darkness and wind.

All that clothing gets tiring to put on, and when stuff is kinda melting you need to tromp around in boots.
It's nice to do the 'Zero Hero' and sleep outside in -20 °F ONCE or TWICE, and I'll sleep in my car for fun at the farm, but getting out of a S-bag when it's cold just gets old, and really fast. God help the homeless who sleep outside, no idea how they do it.

And people say they do stuff outdoors in Winter, but I can tell you, when I go out I see about no one- Just people dashing to their cars, if that. So, it really curtails anything outdoorsy. First day of spring, BAM! all of a sudden everyone's out!

So 97°F or 20°F and wind? I'll take the oven.

Keep in mind, those who live and work all day in AC while in a hotter climate are not acclimated. I'm not saying that some sort of cooling isn't better. But, it's much easier to grow acclimated than it is to drop temp 30+ degrees. I know it seems odd ... However, much of the worlds population lives in hot/arid climates and don't have fresh water let alone an air conditioner. They aren't all shriveled up into prunes they are just living their lives. Often in tin topped mud huts and similar. We have the luxury of walking around the 65 degree mall should it get too hot for comfort, haha.

Cold is a lot easier on the engine until you fail to anti-freeze one and find the freeze plug a couple of inches outside the block, stuck on the end of a popsicle lookin thingy... yah, I shoulda took a picture... it was really stoopid lookin... but its me that was the dummy.
That one, 235 chevy stovebolt 6, was fine after it thawed.
Also had a 170 cu in ranchero with a cracked block that seeped forever when that happened to the last guy.
It ran fine, also... just remember to add water periodically. We used alumaseal on it, but never tried the block sealer.

Nah, the heat is bad... bad block in a ford pickup with a flathead V8, many years back... had a geyser shooting up out of the carburetor !
We had to leave that one behind. Wasn't no good anymore. wheels

I grew up in Michigan and lived in Colorado until I left the first of the year. I have spent plenty of time in both the heat and cold as I often worked and played outside. Until recently I would have said the cold because I can bundle up to stay warm but could only remove so many clothes to cool down. Anymore I would rather the heat for two reasons. First the cold is just painful with arthritis and right before you shiver you tense meaning all the pinched nerves cause even more numbness. Second the A/C runs free off the solar and the furnace cost money.

We much prefer heat even though we don't have airconditioning but do have a furnace. If it's too cold be comfortable in the middle of the day it'll be worse as the day goes on but if it's too hot in the middle of the day chances are the mornings, evenings and the night are fine (maybe not in the deep south). In hot weather we can park in the shade, use fans, park near water to catch a breeze, or go somewhere airconditioned in the middle of the day and have mornings and evenings to be outside enjoying the weather.