Hot tip for buying cheap solar panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brahmon

Reaction score
hi guys.   as you may know i'm a cheap bastard.   i've been stupidly buying new solar panels off amazon for about $1 a watt.   was eyeballing craigslist for bargains but havemt found any so i recently turned to yelp of all places.  

enter "solar panels" under the search function and all the solar vendors should pop up.  then, you simply click on all of them and explain that you are seeking used or cheap panels.   all the replies i got back were they had mostly new but discontinues or leftover panels.  

they were asking anywhere from 40 - 70 cents a watt.   i threw out some lowball test offers and picked up some new 300 watt panels for 30 cents a watt!

sometimes it pays to be a cheap bastard!   lol

edit: forgot to mention that the beauty of yelp is that you can do a local search and save big bucks on shipping.

Santan Solar in Gilbert AZ donated a stack of panels to Homes On Wheel Alliance. Their prices run about 30¢/Watt for new panels. No minimum order. Here's the link to the video Bob did about them:

that's only a good deal if you're local and can pick up for free. i was gonna buy 2 panels from them but they wanted $480 just for shipping!!

I just bought 4 new 320 watt cosmetic blems, a scratch on the alum box side for $50 each (15 cents a watt). These are US made with a 25 year warrenty from the factory.

brahmon said:
that's only a good deal if you're local and can pick up for free.

That's usually the case, wherever you buy. Things as large as solar panels get strapped to a pallet and sent via freight.

With craigslist you have to check everyday. The last time I went to Santan we picked up 1959 watts of solar for just $720. Not only was the deal great but they were also SunPower panels that are really hard to get your hands on.

Well hot damn!

I am local to San Tan Solar (within 60 miles, anyway) and that news grabbed my attention by the short hairs and game em' a twist.

Yehaw!