HOT solar controller?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Biggest EOC spikes I have Noticed are when there are the big puffy cumulous clouds passing by on a cooler day, and the cloud is moving away near solar noon.

The more prolonged spikes have been noticed when the marine layer is at the point of burning off above.

I see that some attribute these spikes to panel temperature alone, but if panel temperature alone could cause a 30% prolonged increase in output, then it would be worthwhile to devise a method to keep the panels cooler, and perhaps heat water at the same time. I believe it is a combo of effects and somehow the clouds are acting like a magnifying glass passing overhead, and the time one is in an area of cloud enhanced/ focused sunlight is usually very brief, But it is a worthwhile reason for having lots of overhead on a solar controller.

I have seen my best spikes when the edge of the cloud is near but not covering the sun as it seems to create a second light source.