Horse walker

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
I have wondered why this is not mentioned as an option.   I bring this up because i get calls very often from people on the track asking if I will come back.   There is a need for help.

There is always a demand for hot-walkers at the race tracks.   
The job consist of taking the horse fresh from off the track after morning exercise and walking the horse to cool it down.  Holding the horse while it gets a shower, then walking till dry.

Each horse takes about 20 minutes.   Typical pay is $5 per horse.   

There is a requirement that you have to have a license to enter the track...cost about $25

The training centers near all the tracks have a need for hot-walkers too...no license required.  You can park your RV on the grounds at the training centers.   There is always more work available if you want it.    With time and experience the jobs get better pay.  

It is a very transient lifestyle if you want it to be.   No one expects a hot-walker to stay for very long.   

Only big draw back is...the job starts at 5am every morning.   The day is done by 10:30 am. 

If you like horses, and can walk a lot....this is an easy job.

To locate training centers...just Google thoroughbred training center and the name of any racetrack near where you want to be.     In Ocala, FL there is a big horse auction almost every month...again, they need walkers.   Google OBS.  They can give you a link to the list of training stables registered for the next auction.    I have seen RVs on the grounds during the auction days....they have security at the gates.

Now THAT is a job I could get behind, once I'm on the road, provided I can get my lazy butt up at 5 am. Thanks, Roaming Kat, I knew nothing about that possibility

LOL
I actually got kicked once, walking behind a horse, didn't know any better

Good info, thanks. I have worked with horses most of my life, including breezing horses on a track and working in a racing stable yard so this would be a good option for work for a season.

DuneElliot said:
Good info, thanks. I have worked with horses most of my life, including breezing horses on a track and working in a racing stable yard so this would be a good option for work for a season.

Wow...so you were an exercise rider?   If you were out east, there is a chance we may have crossed paths on some point.   

Belmont, Monmouth, Meadowlands, Delpark, Parx, PennNational, Laurel, CHarlestown, Gulfstream.   Any of those?   I was mostly at Parx and Gulfstream.

VanKitten said:
Wow...so you were an exercise rider?   If you were out east, there is a chance we may have crossed paths on some point.   

Belmont, Monmouth, Meadowlands, Delpark, Parx, PennNational, Laurel, CHarlestown, Gulfstream.   Any of those?   I was mostly at Parx and Gulfstream.

It was in the UK and one of the best known tracks at Epsom Downs. It was only 5 miles from where I used to live. It certainly was an awesome high to take those horses out.