Hooking up a Whynter frig

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjalar51

Reaction score
We are just setting up our system and have a Renogy 40 amp MPPT controller and a Whynter 45 qt frig. 

I see that we have a choice of getting power directly from the batteries or through the load terminals on the controller. I am not clear which would be best or even sure of the advantages of going through the load terminals on the MPPT controller. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah, that's what I thought.
What is the advantage of the load terminals on the controller?

mjalar51 said:
Yeah, that's what I thought.
What is the advantage of the load terminals on the controller?

For the controllers I have studied, the load terminals would switch off at a preset low battery voltage.  This was independent of the charge voltage.  This would remove load from the battery and allow faster recharge.  Not sure if they all work this way.  The info was buried in the manual.

This might be so obvious it is insulting, but Make sure to check the polarity of the wires with a Digital multimeter before hooking them upto the battery.

Cutting off the ciggy plug takes the fuse out of the equation,  One should still have it fused, or run power from their fuse block.