battery setting for Rover MPPT 40amp charge controller

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FionaC

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to this forum.  I have a Battle Born 100 AH LiFeP04 battery and am using it with a Renogy Rover MPPT 40 amp charge controller.  The battery has gone into protective mode a few times when I hook it up to the Rover.  I have the battery setting at Li but am wondering if that is correct for a LiFePo4 battery?  Should I be creating a custom charging profile?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Fiona

is it from overcharging or undercharging that it enters protective mode?

Welcome to the forum...............

Is the solar panel(s) already attached to the controller ?

The Battery needs to be connected to the Charge Controller FIRST.............then connect the Solar Panels

jonyjoe303 said:
is it from overcharging or undercharging that it enters protective mode?
No, I don't believe so.  I haven't used the battery much yet.  The victron monitor turns on when hooked up to the battery but as soon as I hook it up to the charge controller it all turns off.

abnorm said:
Welcome to the forum...............

Is the solar panel(s) already attached to the controller ?

The Battery needs to be connected to the Charge Controller FIRST.............then connect the Solar Panels
Thanks for the welcome.  Yes, I did read a few times in the manual that the battery needs to be connected first.  The victron monitor turns on when attached to the battery but as soon as I hook it up to the charge controller it all turns off.

FionaC said:
Thanks for the welcome.  Yes, I did read a few times in the manual that the battery needs to be connected first.  The victron monitor turns on when attached to the battery but as soon as I hook it up to the charge controller it all turns off.

So you have the solar panels completely disconnected from the charge controller before you connect the battery?

Can you go in manually and check and post up all the parameter settings?
Even thought it's set to "Lithium", you still want to verify all the settings.

For example, you should not have any "Equalization" mode for your LiFePo4 battery.  That's for flooded Lead acid only.

According to the manual by default the lithium setting is 12.8 volts. That wont charge a battleborn. You are going to have to adjust the bulk setting to 14.4 volts to charge the battleborn.
If the battleborn keeps going into to protection mode, it is probably discharged too much. What is the current voltage at the terminals for the battleborn? it should be around 13.1 volts.

Once the battery starts charging, measure the voltage reading from the renogy controller, and measure the voltage at the battery terminals, they should both be the same . Example if the renogy reads 13.8 volts, the battery terminals should also read 13.8 volts. If the terminals read less then 13.8 volts then you got voltage drop. Voltage drop will cause the battery to never fully charge. For instance if the renogy mppt shows 14.4 volts (full battery) but the battery terminals only read 13.9 volts, the controller will think you have a full battery and reduce amp output while the battery is not even at 80 percent. Thats just something to look at.

renogy LI setting default voltage

a renogy 40ab.jpg

Attachments

• a renogy 40ab.jpg
    a renogy 40ab.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 6
You are correct in all that you say but you are reading that screenshot wrong.  That isn't the charge voltage that they are referring to.  That is the nominal voltage of a LiFePO4 battery with four 3.2V cells in series.  It is just used to distinguish between other nominal voltage batteries.

The Renogy charge parameters for Lithium are fine.  They are very generic but they should be working without causing the BattleBorn any problems.

Untitled.jpg