Honda Knockoff

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoNiE

Reaction score
Folks, this Honda EU2000i Knockoff looks like a Kipor labeled as a Wen. Kipors are nearly identical to Honda's and people say the parts interchange. The guys I know that have Kipors say they are as good as a Honda. Not sure if this is one, but regardless, This is a really good price for this. Today Only.

On some more research, these appear to be Yamaha Clones...

91wepl7VebL._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon $379

ZoNiE said:
Folks, this Honda EU2000i Knockoff looks like a Kipor labeled as a Wen. Kipors are nearly identical to Honda's and people say the parts interchange. The guys I know that have Kipors say they are as good as a Honda. Not sure if this is one, but regardless, This is a really good price for this. Today Only.

On some more research, these appear to be Yamaha Clones...

91wepl7VebL._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon $379
camel shows today's deal as being it's lowest offered price.  Great fine.  Thanks

I've been told that the knockoff engines/generators etc are quite a bit noisier than the brand names. At 1/3 the price, I would try and maybe get a better muffler for one.

These are on woot.com today for the same price.

There is a generator sold at Sams club or Costco that like this looks like a Yamaha, there is a god chance that this is the same unit in a different color. I'd look there for reviews.

This could be a good deal if it's even a reasonable copy of the original. A BIT louder is okay, so is a BIT less watts. It's the quality control and longevity that would cause me to wait to see how things shake out for others.

Don't get me wrong here, there is a huge need for affordable quieter generators. It's just that I have seen a number of respectable companies slapping their name plate on pure garbage including Briggs and Straton, Duracell, Generac and more. This has allowed Champion to gain a strangle hold on the low end market just as Honda and Yamaha have had on the high end. Other companies try to compete but don't have the staying power even with quality products so they come and go with new ones showing up every few years.

Yeah, now they are $489. If I really needed one, I would have bought one. As it stands, I have a Honda 4010 RV unit in my RV, a 5500W contractor unit as a backup for the house, and a little 900W harbor freight 2 stroke that is surprisingly reliable that I got to just charge batteries in my old Coach. You put the little one far enough away and you don't even notice it. I left it in the garage full of fuel for over two years, and it still started on the third pull. Amazing.

I don't know about this one, but the Kipor's are as quiet and lately the prices of them is rising due to their quality and popularity. People say they have interchangeable parts with Honda EU's.

When I was doing all my genset research, I was on the fence between honda and yamaha with a nod to the yamaha's having a fuel cutoff switch and some good reviews.

I have a buddy with two Honda 2000's and on a hot 105* day two weekends ago in Kingman, they kept shutting down when his RV AC kicked on. Even with Eco Throttle turned off. We're gonna paint the AC shroud white (it's black) and a hard start kit, even though it is brand new to see if that helps. Both Gennys are brand new too.

I ended up going with the water cooled Honda RV genset, found a used one with 80 hrs for only $900. It's louder than a generac or Onan, but I don't even worry about the thing failing. I just have to start it every couple of weeks to keep the carb from getting gummed up from the new gas.

We have a remote start Champion 3500/4000 open frame that has the ability to run the roof A/C at altitude and makes a good back up here at the house. Quiet? Not a chance but we don't run it around others or really much at all. ( once a month for exercise)

I am going to come out against all the "knock-offs". If you want Honda or Yamaha reliability, buy one. Furthermore, Honda and Yamaha have spent decades perfecting their products and have spent likely millions of dollars engineering, designing and building their products and their brands. For some Chinese company to buy a couple of generators and start casting duplicates is wrong on every level. It truly is the base problem with society today to support this type of backwards thinking. I understand that thinking, but at the same time, a couple hundred bucks is likely not the end of the world when it comes to a product that should last years.
"Buy Nice or Buy Twice"
Flame on...I have broad shoulders.

bcbullet said:
I am going to come out against all the "knock-offs". If you want Honda or Yamaha reliability, buy one. Furthermore, Honda and Yamaha have spent decades perfecting their products and have spent likely millions of dollars engineering, designing and building their products and their brands. For some Chinese company to buy a couple of generators and start casting duplicates is wrong on every level. It truly is the base problem with society today to support this type of backwards thinking. I understand that thinking, but at the same time, a couple hundred bucks is likely not the end of the world when it comes to a product that should last years.
"Buy Nice or Buy Twice"
Flame on...I have broad shoulders.

Yeah but when people are broke as a joke and in need of a generator bad, these knock-offs will have to suffice. However, I don't trust Chinese shiz. I recently bought one of those big Larry LED worklights and it worked for a few uses and now it comes on when it wants which isn't very often. No more Chinese crap as long as I can help it!

I will not buy the knock off stuff. it's bad enough trying to avoid junk now a days, buying a knock off is just asking for it. highdesertranger

Sadly, a lot of the Name Brand stuff is just Chinese crap with a sticker on it...

That's the dirty little secret, you pay full price for a worthless sticker.

the chinese do build some impressive stuff. harbor freight don't get that stuff.

The Chinese will built what ever you want them to, at the quality you want them to. So if you buy that generator and it's a piece, it's Wens fault for ordering it up that way to make more money.

The problem with the whole "name brand sticker on a Chinese piece of shit" is that most of the name brands are lackluster at best...Wen? Ryobi? Honeywell? Generac? Hyundai? Polaris? They are garbage brands to start with and lending their name to lower rated garbage adds nothing.
Try Makita, Milwaukee, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Subaru (Robin) and you will get quality. Like I said, but nice or buy twice. False economy is just that; false. Spend $600.00 on a POS vs $900.00 on the real deal? You say you can't afford to buy the real thing? Trust me, if things are that dire, you can't afford not to.

I just bought a new Honda 2000i 7 months ago , the price went up to $1045 out the door.
My next genset will be the Generac 2000  I'm eager to personally see how it competes with the Honda.

Mobilesport said:
I just bought a new Honda 2000i 7 months ago , the price went up to $1045 out the door.
My next genset will be the Generac 2000  I'm eager to personally see how it competes with the Honda.

I suspect that by the time your Honda dies, there will be no "Generac 2000" in the marketplace.

bcbullet said:
I suspect that by the time your Honda dies, there will be no "Generac 2000" in the marketplace.

The Honda I bought 7 months ago is my second Honda 2000i , the first one lasted through 3 summers and one winter before it started having electrical issues.

I have a Westinghouse 2000 inverter. I like it. it is quiet enough. it is light enough. it runs my battery charger. it runs my window air. will it last 2 more years? if not i will buy another.