Honda Gen and propane

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not less generator output. With propane more fuel volume than with gasoline.

I have a propane generator ... it was on my rig when I bought it. Yes, mounted onto the trailer tongue and hooked up to the propane tanks in the front. It sits in it's own steel box and I rarely use it. One, because it takes a lot of priming (is that the term) to get it started; and two, I am having electrical problems with the whole rig and it needs a little juice to get it going and I do want to get it to work at some point as I would prefer to boondock than crowd into campgrounds ... when I first started camping with the rig, it worked great; I only used it maybe an hour a day to keep the 2 marine batteries topped, but it does sound like a little lawn mower or leaf blower :)

Propane genset is useful and if you have one it's worth looking at, much more fun than a gas genset!  What exactly do you mean it has problems?  The genset has problems or other parts of the system has problems?

Corky

Waiting2Exhale said:
I only used it maybe an hour a day to keep the 2 marine batteries topped, but it does sound like a little lawn mower or leaf blower :)

You can get a super quiet muffler for it.  I got mine at a Honda motorcycle shop.

I have a 7500 watt portable generator with a tri-fuel conversion kit that I connect to a transfer switch inlet box outside my house. The inlet box is connected to a 6 circuit transfer switch. my generator can run on gasoline, natural gas and propane. I have it stored in my garage for when I need it. Every month or couple of weeks I take it out and run it for about 20 minutes on load to make sure it will work when I need it. It was one of the first purchases I made when I bought my house. The whole setup cost me about $1400-1500. I did the setup myself so I saved a lot of money.
To me it is well worth it. Even if I don't need it I would much rather have it in case I do.

Here's a thread about the Ryobi 700W/900W propane-only generator that Home Despot carries. Depending on your power needs, it might be an option worth looking into.

johnny b said:
So....2 generators of the same make and model rated at 5 horsepower on gasoline. install a kit for propane and adjust fuel flow to run at the same 5 horsepower on one of them.

sorry, it does not work like that. you can not "just turn up fuel flow" you MUST maintain the proper air:fuel ratio. if you just do the fuel conversion on any gas engine over to propane it WILL make less horse power. UNLESS you also make other modifications. if you want to burn more fuel to make more power you need to get more air into and through the engine to keep the ration right. you could spin it faster, you could put a bigger cam in or other mods to make it breath better. but if you want to burn more fuel you will need more air.

now because propane does have a very high octane rating. if you want to build a dedicated and tuned motor just for propane, you can make some serious horsepower by increasing compression ratios, changing cam timing/lift/duration/over lap, and tuning the ignition into ranges that an engine would self destruct on pump gas. but that is a far cry from just bolting on a propane conversion