Homeless at a crossroads of decision

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve1950 said:
I have put in so many applications...... over20.... with the same "you know there's a 6 month to a year waiting list don't you?". Very disheartening. I am on the verge of just saying the heck with it and  turn the key and go. But day by day I am waiting it out till August 4th.

If it's possible, check with HUD properties in smaller, outlying cities. Many of these have Tax Credit apt. complexes that set aside 1 or 2 apts. for homeless (which you will be). It varies by locale, but if you can get one of these, for the first 2 years you pay very little rent at first. It does go up every 6 mos. but if you can get a PT job, very manageable. After 2 years, you are then up on the Sect. 8 waiting list and get a voucher. In the big cities or in 'touristy' areas (like Ft.Collins or Durango,CO) it's much harder to get a place.

Check with non-profits that may know of this type of program, and not just with the local housing authority.

The ones I have applied to are mostly on the outside of the city like you suggested. They are HUD assist. The rent is 30% of income. Which includes electric for most apartments. Not a bad deal really. But I am not sure that I want to live in one of these.
 I am a pretty active guy and can't see myself rotting away in them. I have to stay active. I am not sure that once I get in there that I won't just slow down and age very quickly. It's kinda scary for me. I have no problem admitting that. Plus I don't want to be totally alone, which is what will happen if I move into one of these places.

Well, I'm the same age as you and have been living in a HUD over-55 complex but have stayed pretty active the past 2 years though, driving a wheelchair van and volunteering at a non-profit. But after staying put for a while, I'm ready to hit the road again. I'll be heading to SD in Sept. in my old Dodge van and I'm shopping for a cargo trailer to convert. Then it will be down to NM and/or AZ and maybe the Slabs again.

In regards to residence requirements for SD.  I don't know.  I've moved up there twice, each time purchasing an inexpensive house.  I'll call around up there tomorrow and see what I can find out.  I'm pretty sure some members here use SD as their state of residence.

I went up in July of 1986 and bought the 1st place.  When I went back a year later I had my 1969 Ford truck, my 14 year old son and his 1st motorcycle and a flat bed trailer.  We both got DL's  & registered everything with out a problem that I can remember. We stayed 3wks.  I don't remember if we recieved the DLs before returning to TX or if they were forwarded to us

Everything was way cheaper in SD!  My house only cost $2,500, no down, no interest and $100mo.  It was closed up for 8yrs before I bought it.  Needed a new blower motor on the fuel oil furnace in the celler.  Other than that just cleaning and painting.  One year I didn't turn a  AC on until August!

Earlier this year I had planned on being there this spring, then this summer, now I hope I make it in the fall.  

Sometimes LIFE seems to be conspiring against me.

Jewellann

Yes, TJB, South Dakota makes it pretty easy and you can do 99% by mail but some things (like Medicare QMB, hunting license,etc.) I do believe you have to be a bonafide resident of 30 days or more (like most states).

There are two types of assisted housing, project (property specific) based assistance and 'non-project' which is the traditional section 8 and can be used on any property which will accept it. Financial arrangements are similar if not exactly the same, 30% of income towards the combination of rent and utilities with some deductions.

Being 'homeless' your position on the waitlist will go up.

I would suggest doing both van dwelling and getting the right unit/project and balancing the two.

Hey Steve, I'm a newbie, not even on the road yet (dreaming).. I don't know the date you last posted but I'm looking forward to hear an update, please? Concerned and exited to hear what's going on, 'whats realllly going on'?

Oh, and those waiting lists for 'those' apartments, well ... my experience is that unless you have a friend on the inside to push your paperwork up to the top, it could be a very long time before they contact you. Just a heads up there in case. Wishing you the BEST!!

sarah

JustACarSoFar said:
Hey Steve, I'm a newbie, not even on the road yet (dreaming)..   I don't know the date you last posted but I'm looking forward to hear an update, please?  Concerned and exited to hear what's going on, 'whats realllly going on'?

Oh, and those waiting lists for 'those' apartments, well ... my experience is that unless you have a friend on the inside to push your paperwork up to the top, it could be a very long time before they contact you.  Just a heads up there in case.  Wishing you the BEST!!

sarah
You are right Sara the wait lists are long. But after applying to about 20 different low income senior apartments I finally landed one. It is pretty far out but it is very very nice . Rent is only 30% of my income and that includes electric. I am pretty happy living here. Although I still yearn for the road. I will be trying to take some small road trips as soon as I get the rest of the way settled in. I have furnished the apt from Walmart. LOL But the stuff is pretty good quality.
Thanks for your information and good wishes
Steve

CautionToTheWind said:
That was f-a-s-t!

Yes I got lucky. But I was determined. I also had luck on my side and one of the places I applied to informed me of another one that was in the same group of HUD properties that had a couple apts available. So I went there right away and was moved in the very next day. I was glad to get out of the motel. I was getting ready to live in the car if things didn't materialize within a week or so. Maybe something or someone was looking over me. I don't know, but it's not pleasant being homeless.
I sure do appreciate everyone's advice and suggestions on here as well.
It seems as though no matter what the circumstances are the people on this forum always are wanting to help. And it doesn't have to be about just living in a vehicle that they jump right in and help, but anything that has someone in a bad or stressful situation can expect to receive lots of great ideas and advice to get them out of their jam.
This thread on helping me is a good example.
Thanks to everyone
Steve

Hi,

I am in a similar situation and and am equally torn about the decision - do I give up my housing assistance and go live in a van?  I was homeless for years, was on the HUD waiting list for 2.5 years before finally getting a tiny studio apartment (HUD only pays a portion of the rent, so I still have to pay more rent than I can really afford). 

I just found out there is a Homeowners Program with HUD, where apparently you can buy a home (if a first time buyer) and get assistance with mortgage payments, but I am still searching for info about it, as they don't make it easy to find out about such programs.  I would love to buy a cheap tiny house in the country, but I doubt this is possible, with all the government rules and regulations involved.

I'm searching for ideas on how to keep the housing assistance and a permanent home somewhere, but also have the freedom to travel and visit farms and such.

I'm moving back to Ohio next month, born and raised there, of course the goal is becoming self-sufficient/off-grid completely, and not needing any government assistance.