Homeless at a crossroads of decision

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D  I GOT THIS...AT LEAST I THINK I GOT THIS  :D

If I remember rightly it was an attachment that went on a vacuum cleaner hose and would cut your hair while the vacuum sucked your hair and away it went.

Now I"ll google it and see if I know what I'm talkin' about   :) {did that it's a "Flobee Vacuum Haircutting System} Wally World has'um

Jewellann

LOLOLOL.... I will have to check it out.... I have long hair and that doesn't sound like something I would want to do....but it sounds funny so I have to see it

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Txjaybird said:
:D  I GOT THIS...AT LEAST I THINK I GOT THIS  :D

If I remember rightly it was an attachment that went on a vacuum cleaner hose and would cut your hair while the vacuum sucked your hair and away it went.
I swear....nothing gets past you all!!! LOL

Yes you are correct it what is known as a suck and cut. I have had this for at least 35 years. I could never find any barber or hair stylist to cut my hair correctly. This thing always does a great job.
I just couldn't bare to leave it when I had to move out. Even though I don't have a vacuum cleaner with me I figured eventually I could get one of the very small but portable vacuums that the company sells for them. Or another very small portable unit I could use off my inverter.
But maybe in reality this may be one of the items I have to get rid of because of space considerations. I may have to just let my hair grow long like Bob does!
But in reality I am for sure going to have to purge pretty many things I brought with me. Other things like a poop bucket, solar, etc has to take a more important role. I will see.

Attachments

• flowbee.jpg
    flowbee.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 7
  • flowbee 2.jpg
    flowbee 2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 6
Steve1950 said:
But maybe in reality this may be one of the items I have to get rid of because of space considerations. I may have to just let my hair grow long like Bob does!

Or you could go the other way - a razor doesn't take up much space at all ;)

mayble said:
Or you could go the other way - a razor doesn't take up much space at all ;)

I don't know if you misunderstood what the Flowbee is. It is used to cut the hair on your head. You can't shave with it. And I don't think I want to attempt to cut my hair with a razor. That would be a mess I would create. LOL

Steve, you're in good company.

One of my best and oldest friends uses a Flowbee! You can still buy them!

He likes to boast that he hasn't had to pay for a haircut for 40 years, and how much money he has saved.....wow!

:cool:

Your friend is right. I have saved a ton of money over the years. And I can cut my hair once a week if I want and it doesn't cost me any extra. Except for the electricity to run it of course. Just a few cents.

Steve1950 said:
I don't know if you misunderstood what the Flowbee is. It is used to cut the hair on your head. You can't shave with it. And I don't think I want to attempt to cut my hair with a razor. That would be a mess I would create. LOL

Yes, I know what a Flowbee is
I was suggesting that rather than grow your hair long, you could simply shave your head

Steve, have you tried flipping a coin? I have found that when I am having difficulty making a decision between two options, flipping a coin always helps. I am either happy with the result of the coin flip or sometimes I find I am unhappy with the result of the coin flip. Either way, I then have the information I need to make a decision. :)

slynne said:
Steve, have you tried flipping a coin? I have found that when I am having difficulty making a decision between two options, flipping a coin always helps. I am either happy with the result of the coin flip or sometimes I find I am unhappy with the result of the coin flip. Either way, I then have the information I need to make a decision. :)

It may get down to that. But I think I will have to be a little more particular than the coin toss. Maybe for lessor important items. That is a different way to look at it. But it might take a lot of coin flips to decide on some items.

Hey Steve, Welcome to the forum. :) Have you figured out what you're going to do for license and registration? You and Bardo might think about passing through South Dakota on your way West. I hear you can get all that handled there for a short stay. Just a thought.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Freeman SD just north of Yankton has camping at the city park.  It's seasonal, $10 a night, 2 wk limit,  talk to the mayor for longer.  Has elec., water, and sewer.  18 miles to county seat [Olivette] for DL and vehicle reg.  When I moved from TX to SD the last time I needed a bill of sale showing what I paid for my truck,  otherwise I would have been taxed at NADA value.  
FREEMAN CITY HALL 605-925-7127.  I lived about 18mls away.

I figure 2 wks @ $10 per. nite might be cheaper than a full month at a regular C.G.  Lewis and Clark Lake and Recreation Area has 3 campgrounds.  They are near Yankton SD

Just FYI

Jewellann

Txjaybird said:
Freeman SD just north of Yankton has camping at the city park.  It's seasonal, $10 a night, 2 wk limit,  talk to the mayor for longer.  Has elec., water, and sewer. 
<-------->
I figure 2 wks @ $10 per. nite might be cheaper than a full month at a regular C.G. 
Is two weeks the requirement for residency?

Thank you Txjaybird. This is very good to know. I am going to add this to my free and inexpensive camping list. You can't beat $10 a night for all that.
Thanks again

Ballenxj said:
Hey Steve, Welcome to the forum. :) Have you figured out what you're going to do for license and registration? You and Bardo might think about passing through South Dakota on your way West. I hear you can get all that handled there for a short stay. Just a thought.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Right now I am registered in Florida. I think maybe I will keep it that way till I can see if it would be better to register somewhere else. Right now I am good till October. So I have time to see which way to go on the registration.
Thanks for the heads up.

Hi Steve. I am new, too, although I have been following Bob for quite a while. I have a rig that I might be trading in/selling very soon & heading out west. I currently live in NH, but I might have to go to GA before I head that way. It would be nice to possibly meet up & head out. I retired about a year ago & tried the HUD thing, but not ready for that. Need the freedom & peace of the outdoors.

This sounds good to me. Although I am paid up till August 4th in my extended stay hotel. If things don't change and I still don't have housing I have it in my mind to head out West to the Flagstaff area where the tribe members are staying. 
I have put in so many applications...... over20.... with the same "you know there's a 6 month to a year waiting list don't you?". Very disheartening. I am on the verge of just saying the heck with it and  turn the key and go. But day by day I am waiting it out till August 4th. Then if nothing pops I won't really have a choice but to go. I am not burning anymore of my funds on a expensive hotel. 
Another person, bardo is also wanting to caravan West. So maybe all three of us could travel out there. Of course we will have to get our time lines together. 
Steve

Steve1950 said:
So maybe all three of us could travel out there. Of course we will have to get our time lines together.

Traveling in convoy has its pros and cons....

On the pro side, assuming you have cellphones or radios of some kind to communicate, you can keep each other alert, and help with confusing turns, coordinate gas stops, and camp together at rest areas, parks, campgrounds, or Walmart parking lots.

If someone gets a flat tire or runs out of gas, or some other trouble, they have help right away.

The cons are that the group has to travel at the rate of the slowest person or vehicle. It helps if you can coordinate bathroom stops, rest times, meal breaks, sight-seeing stops, and the general pace thru large cities.

If someone in the group gets impatient, then the traveling relationship can break down, and someone will probably take off on their own.

Or if you have no radios, and/or cellphone communication is lost, and someone in the rear of the group pulls over...what do those in front do? Stop and wait? Circle back? Keep going?

All of this needs to be worked out.

Still, it can be a neat way to travel and it will help shorten the trip and you will probably make lifelong friends.

We have those HUD housing developments here in AZ as well.  If you feel like you need the sticks and bricks once you are out here just change your residency to AZ and get on the waiting list our here.  I recommend Payson to start.  Mom lives in one here and it is really nice.  Worth the wait.  It is my own exit strategy.in 20 years or so.