Home router...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlreadyGone

Reaction score
I have a good quality wireless home router. I'm just wondering if it will have any value once I am out on the road with a laptop and picking up wifi signals...? I would think not, but figured I would check with ya'll.

I have 0 tech knowledge on that stuff, but just by looking at how mine is connected, seems like it would a paperweight. Ive been wrong before. Could sell it though.

It will only have value if it has a facility to be made into a wifi repeater. I built a repeater system for about $80 a couple of years ago for my larger moho that works well in limited reception areas, but the router/ap also can be configured as a repeater. If you don't have a need for a repeater, then no, a wifi router doesn't have much value on the road unless you have satellite-dish wifi.

hepcat said:
It will only have value if it has a facility to be made into a wifi repeater.  I built a repeater system for about $80 a couple of years ago for my larger moho that works well in limited reception areas, but the router/ap also can be configured as a repeater.   If you don't have a need for a repeater, then no, a wifi router doesn't have much value on the road unless you have satellite-dish wifi.

Ahhhh, forgot about the repeater. Yes, it has a repeater mode, so the only way to find out it's actual usefullness will be to bring it along.

Asus RT-AC68U

• Management
    UPnP, IGMP v1/v2/v3, DNS Proxy, DHCP, NTP Client, DDNS, Port Trigger, Universal Repeater, System Event Log
    • Operation mode
      Wireless router mode
      Range extender mode
      Access point mode
      Media bridge mode

I have been able to get higher and more stable bandwidth when using a router to pick up the singles and then wire to my laptop.

You can use it to create a LAN in your vehicle. The LAN can be used to send signal from a phone to a laptop or printer. I have unlimited data on my phone, I use a LAN and the program "lonely screen" to send my phone screen to my laptop. This way I can watch YouTube and such on a much larger screen than my phone. I can also send printing from my laptop to my printer with it.

It could have many uses with a phone with unlimited data and a Local Area WiFi Network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blanch said:
You can use it to create a LAN in your vehicle. The LAN can be used to send signal from a phone to a laptop or printer. I have unlimited data on my phone, I use a LAN and the program "lonely screen" to send my phone screen to my laptop. This way I can watch YouTube and such on a much larger screen than my phone. I can also send printing from my laptop to my printer with it.

It could have many uses with a phone with unlimited data and a Local Area WiFi Network.

Cool. Very cool. That's why I'm asking. Trying to put the pieces together for myself.

There's apparently another app also...called "Reflector" that does the same thing as "Lonely screen". Reflector is $13 to buy.

Any negative impact on resolution going to larger screen sizes?

IN poking around in the forum today I saw this thread and it made me think.

When we head out, should I take my wifi router with me?
I will need to check and see if I can set it up to access my mobile hotspot whether its on my phone, or another device....

But here in the S&B unit, we regularly cast u tubes, amazon Prime, and netflix up to our big screen. We have and use both a CHROMECAST and FireStick.
And we have never had to worry about resolution. It always look really great! Does not seem to matter what type of video it is.
Of course we see the differences tween SD, HD, and 1080 videos, but even the crappy quality ones look awesumm on the big screen.

So my take away is don't fret it, watch it!!! You will be surprised either way!!!

So I am very interested in seeing more info on these possibilities?????

Such FUN!!!

I find the resolution to be fine. I also have reflector and use that to send my phone screen to my iPad for viewing. A local network in you RV can be very versatile and helpful. Enjoy!