How to setup Router to allow for a personal hotspot to provide the Internet connection - WIRELESS

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderin.pat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Southern NM... currently living in an RV park
So, the Mobley I've been using quit working a few months ago. I've been through several different solutions that were expensive and unsatisfactory. I currently have a plan with ATT that's almost as good as my Mobley plan. It's an "iPad postpaid plan"...
I can't pull the SIM out (I know someone will suggest that) because ATT and Apple have gotten together and created an "eSIM"...
so , there's NO SIM to pull out. :):cool:

WHAT I'D LIKE TO DO

Setup my WIRELESS personal hotspot as an "input", rather than using a WIRED cable as "input". There are lots of YouTube videos that tell you how to do things almost
like what I'm trying to do, but only go so far.

WHAT I'M TRYING TO DETERMINE
What feature(s) do I look for on a router that will enable me to do this? I was told to try to use "repeater" functionality ... I have not been able to make that work. I would really like to
avoid having to buy a $300 router if I can.

I appreciate any real help anyone has to offer. I am aware that many people are still using their Mobley's. I'm so very happy for you. I don't need to hear about it. :ROFLMAO: It just makes me want to cry. :cry: I have yet to find anything that works as well as that did.

Thanks so very much.

Pat

Setup my WIRELESS personal hotspot as an "input", rather than using a WIRED cable as "input". There are lots of YouTube videos that tell you how to do things almost
like what I'm trying to do, but only go so far.

It isn't clear what you are trying to do. Is the WIRELESS personal hotspot the one in the tablet or some standalone device?

• If the tablet has a hotspot function your devices can connect to that by wifi.
  • If the tablet hotspot is limited to 1 device or whatever a repeating wifi router can be that one device then repeat to as many devices as you like.
The second option can be done with a $25 travel router. Depends on the router, but it's usually configured under "REPEATER" or "WISP" in the interface. Choose the SSID and tell it the password, boom. Here is a demo of it being done on the $25 router. At 0:49 you'd be connecting to the ATT tablet.

I did it this morning on a different router ($38). I chose the target SSID under WISP, put in the password, and here I am online.

It isn't clear what you are trying to do. Is the WIRELESS personal hotspot the one in the tablet or some standalone device?

• If the tablet has a hotspot function your devices can connect to that by wifi.
  • If the tablet hotspot is limited to 1 device or whatever a repeating wifi router can be that one device then repeat to as many devices as you like.
The second option can be done with a $25 travel router. Depends on the router, but it's usually configured under "REPEATER" or "WISP" in the interface. Choose the SSID and tell it the password, boom. Here is a demo of it being done on the $25 router. At 0:49 you'd be connecting to the ATT tablet.

I did it this morning on a different router ($38). I chose the target SSID under WISP, put in the password, and here I am online.
Even though you didn't find my statement clear... you provided the instructions I was looking for. In addition, one of the routers I have is the one (gl.inet) you use in the demo ... or one very much like it.

Thanks