Home in a Jeep!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty_Jeeper

Reaction score
This is the beginning of my Jeeps story, a 1997 Jeep Cherokee or XJ is the model. I bought "Red" used many years ago as a stock grocery getter. Since then he has seen an endless list of modifications. I won't bore you with the list other than to say he's built to stay out of trouble, is sitting on a full 6 inch suspension lift on 33 inch tires. He has hauled me and my dog Cinder all over the country. &nbsp;I've lived out of him from time to time and thoroughly enjoyed it. Red was built to handle off roading so my exploring wasn't forced to my own two feet only. However I've always wanted a little more space and my body no longer cares for hard cold or damp ground in a tent.<div><br></div><div>So recently I purchased a 1999 Cherokee for $500 with a bad&nbsp;motor knock from the owner driving it with little oil. Other than that it was perfect. Driving an older rig in need of repairs it was cheaper to buy a donor vehicle. So I now have all the parts I need and can break it down to store the small stuff and keep it with me. I recently installed the front and rear axles in Red as I exploded the rear a week ago. Next the windshield will be installed to replace Reds badly cracked one. I've already earned my return on my $500 investment in the axles alone. Red has 146,000 miles and the donor Jeep barely 100,000. I'd suggest this route for anyone building an older rig for life on the road. It's cheap and gives you options besides getting nickel and dimed during your build.</div><div><br></div><div>So I also purchased the donor with another goal in mind. To build a matching trailer to tow. Yes from a Jeep Cherokee. May sound strange in the beginning but will be very functional. I wanted a matching width so it would track better in off road situations and make off road use easier. So why not build it from exactly the same vehicle! So with this in mind we needed to name it. We name all our vehicles. We came up with ET or Exploration Trailer! ET is still in the early stages as I have to do the work outside and it is wet here in Jersey this time of year so progress is slow.</div><div><br></div><div>ET is now down to just a shell and I've begun to cut off the the front end and fire wall. Next will be cutting out the floor and replacing it with a flat panel in place of all the drive line humps. Since I am working with a once complete Jeep, I already have a 20 gallon fuel tank with electric pump which I can use to re fuel Red when needed. I'm installing a 20 gallon fresh water tank with electric pump in the floor just ahead of the rear axle location.This will help keep the weight over the axle.In the once rear cargo area I'll install a full kitchen accessed from the rear lift up hatch, with all the basics for a working kitchen. Since the cargo floor is higher than the rest, I will flush it out level all the way to the front of the trailer creating in floor storage.</div><div><br></div><div>Also to save on tongue weight I'm gutting the front driver and passenger doors of glass, tracks and motors and installing a painted metal panel where the window once was. The smaller back seat doors will keep the the glass and electric windows for ventilation purposes. A deep cycle battery will be installed to power the windows, door locks, stereo, lighting, fan and power for the inverter to charge cell phones laptop, camera etc.</div><div><br></div><div>This set up will allow me to base camp and have my Jeep to do my exploring, photography etc. From the front or rear it will appear to be a couple of Jeeps. From the side, it may get noticed. I'm still undecided on what color to to paint ET as it's currently dark green. Once all the cutting and fabrication is done a paint job will be required.</div><div><br></div><div>I'll post some ET photos as time and weather allow. Just thought I'd get my project out here for some input comments and advice. Here are a couple recent photos of Red out in the woods.</div>

<P>Sounds like a really interesting build, Dale. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.</P>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Tough looking rig, Dirty</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">We'll be watching as you go through your repair/rebuild and convert process. </p>

Last weekend I added a second set of &nbsp;Yakima crossbars to the top of Red. Craigslist for $100. Now with 4 cross bars every 20 inches I have plenty of support for a platform. Now to build the platform from a ramp to be purchased at Harbor&nbsp;Freight.<div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.harborfreight.com/super-wide-tri-fold-loading-ramp-90018.html" target="_blank">http://www.harborfreight.com/super-wide-tri-fold-loading-ramp-90018.html</a></div><div><br></div><div>The hinges will be removed and then the sections through bolted to each other and fastened to the crossbars. Additional support surface can be added by riveting eighth inch by three inch aluminum lengths available at Lowes or Home Depot. This will allow me to still carry my canoe as well as add soft or hard baggage and containers.</div><div><br></div><div>I like fabricating my own equipment as I have with a lot of the work done to Red. With Craigslist, some shopping on line and a little imagination you can save a lot of cash, and build some of your own stuff. I like building my stuff over just buying it all manufactured.</div><div>Crossbars $200</div><div>Ramp $100</div><div><br></div><div>Another example is the snorkel I built. One from Safari Snorkels to fit my model Jeep was nearly $500. &nbsp;I built mine and have added features as well for a total of $74 at Lowes.</div>

<p style="margin: 0px;">I like&nbsp;your idea for use of the folding ramp in your build. I think it could also be used (with a&nbsp;little modification) for a foldaway bedframe in my step van. Any thing to conserve on usable floor space is good. I am also considering a Murphy foldup bed in my planning.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Bob</p>

I think the murphy bed would save floor space but my sacrifice wall space at the same time. The trifold ramp may work and its light, 33 pounds of aluminum. Maybe something along the lines of the truck bed carpet kits which converted the center into the bed platform when needed and had storage underneath?<div><br></div><div>Here and scroll down.</div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.socaltruck.net/interior_accessories" target="_blank">http://www.socaltruck.net/interior_accessories</a></div><div><br></div>

This is ET a few weeks ago when I drove her into the yard to begin the tear down for the trailer build. A few more current photos to follow.

ET's axles were removed and have now been installed in Red as of last weekend. The entire drive train has been removed. Cutting off the front end and fire wall has begun. The interior has been gutted along with the dash. Soon the fabrication can begin.<div><br></div><div>Although this project of building an exploration trailer, home in tow, will be a lot of work, I'm ahead of the game. I see it as a renovation or re purposing of an old vehicle. ET only had about 100,000 miles on her but the bad motor would have made for a very costly repair. The only part of ET I have no plans for are the engine block and transmission. All of the relays modules, computer and sensors will be kept as spare parts for our other Jeeps. The axles, radiator, windshield, even the passenger door electronics will go to replace some of Reds tired parts. The transfer case will be kept as a spare as they are costly and hard to come by. I also gain many good replacement parts from the axles I removed from Red.</div><div><br></div><div>As for the actual trailer build, on the positive side, I'm pretty far along. I already have most of a chassis, a roof, 3 walls 4 doors, power windows, power door locks, and the main hatch to access the kitchen area. Plus my 20 gallon refueling tank, most of my interior walls, audio system, lighting etc. Even sun visors with mirrors and adjustable lighting.</div><div><br></div><div>Fabrication of the front will take time. I'm going to use the skin from the hood where the windshield once was. This will give that large wall the hood contours rather than just a blank flat sheet of metal. The 8 or so inches of front fenders&nbsp;nearest&nbsp;the door hinges will be used , rolled and blended into a new front lower panel.</div><div><br></div><div>As for the kitchen I mentioned, I have a friend who was a cabinet maker at a yacht company. So once I finish the design and provide all the&nbsp;dimensions&nbsp;he will build the rear kitchen. It will have conventional doors with in door storage, a pull out table, drawers even a faucet for fresh water.</div><div><br></div><div>It's a good thing I'm retired so I have the time to do all this. Goal is to have it all done by the end of June. At the same time, keeping our other 3 jeeps maintained and running!&nbsp;</div>

Today I got the last of the dash out, removed the windshield (in one&nbsp;piece) and cut off the remaining right side of the front end. Started to cut out the&nbsp;firewall&nbsp;but all the multiple layers of metal at varying depths and shapes managed to break and wear out all my cutting stuff. Did get it about 80% cut off. The remaining 20% is going to be the most difficult to cut through. The price I pay for doing this to a uni body vehicle.<div><br></div><div>Time to sort through the every growing parts pile and sort it into reuse, keep for spare, scrap metal, and trash. Rapidly running out of space to keep it all.</div>

Cameracamel aka Don had mentioned the livable space on his Ranger build. This made me curious so I got the tape measure out and did the math. The result was very surprising.<div><br><div>The interior of my 1997 Jeep Cherokee which I've spent a lot of time in is 40.5 square feet. Not bad with the seats folded forward and the rear seat folded down flat. With the addition of my 1999 Cherokee as a trailer I double the usable space to 81 square feet. With it being gutted and rebuilt its a wide open interior except the rear kitchen area.</div></div><div><br></div><div>Then it dawned on me, I'm wasting a lot of usable space. Each roof rack is 30.5 square feet of usable storage. Add some lockable boxes such as the old military aluminum boxes and it's secured. Being an off road vehicle it looks normal utilizing the roof in that way. The roof tops offer 61 square feet of storage when utilized.</div><div><br></div><div>So 142 square feet of space that can be utilized.to maximize the living arrangement. Not bad for a budget build using what I have available. As far as stuff needed for the build the materials are minimal. Axle with electric brakes, lifted leaf springs, &nbsp;soft 8 wheels and 33" KM2 tires. A 20 gallon in floor water tank, electric pump. A sheet of marine plywood for a sub floor and some indoor outdoor carpet. Steel to fabricate the tongue. That's the bulk of it.</div><div><br></div><div>Now I've been challenged to have it ready by spring to tour the eastern US with friends. Otherwise in just my jeep, it will be cramped living in it with 2 adults and 2 medium size dogs! LOL</div>

Seems like a great project! With the unibody, how will you attach a tongue? Also, I assume you considered raising the roof on the trailer for more headroom, so you must have rejected it. I'm curious why? For off-roading you wouldn't want it to be top heavy, but I'm sure you could find a compromise.<br><br>Are you on expeditionportal.com? Seems like this would be perfect for them! Bob <br><br>

Yes Bob I'm on EXPO. Same screen name. Not a conventional Expo build so not posting it there, though I do post from time to time.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>As for the unibody, it has a molded in frame member that runs full length on each side. I'm going to run along it on its outside with 2x2 steel. Then through bolt and sleeve the bolts to avoid compression of the unibody rail. Much the same as you would reinforce the&nbsp;steering&nbsp;box on these. At the rear it meets the front perch mount of the rear leaf spring where it will be welded in place. This will cradle the unibody.<div><br></div><div>The axle will have 6 inches of lift and 33x12.50 tires to match my Jeep. This makes for a tall Jeep and tall trailer. So no plans to raise the roof. I do my best to keep the center of gravity low on my Jeep when off road and will need to do the same with the trailer. Here in Jersey and the east low limbs are always a concern with my jeeps height. Not so much in the other places I've been around the country. I'm fine with the interior height even though I'm 6'2". It's being built to live "out of". A sleep chamber if you will. Room to sleep or just get out of the weather. But a stand up kitchen accessed from the rear. Definitely a different type of trailer, but I had it for parts and the body is in good shape, so a trailer it soon will be.</div></div>

ET has been at a bit of stand still with the holidays and trying to keep our daily drivers on the road. Hope to see some progress during the next week or two. Meanwhile I've been researching axles, water tanks etc. Getting my parts list in order. Hope to share some progress soon.

After struggling with fixing Red my daily driver the last few months, I can again turn towards ET the trailer build. Located a nice custom built trailer tongue to fit up soon. Should pick it up in the next few days. Can't beat the price, FREE. Now if I could only be do fortunate with some of the other parts that are needed. Still downsizing and liquidating stuff in preparation for the future.<div><br></div><div>Also my dog Cinder is beginning training as a service dog for me. Always lots going on it seem making this project a slow build. But better than rushing and making mistakes. "Take the time it takes, so it takes less time."</div>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Hey, Dale</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Looking forward to seeing your progress with your Jeep/trailer.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Keep us posted.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Bob</p>

Today we took the train into Atlantic City for the RV show. It was less than expected but was what I expected at the same time. Building was filled with high end BIG coaches and trailers. Next to no accessory type vendors which was my main reason for going. Anyhow I got some good ideas and sources for the trailer. &nbsp;I'll be building a pull and swing out stove in the rear with a matching set up for the sink on the opposite side.<div><br></div><div>We did find a 14 foot trailer at the show that was nicely done and well made by Coleman. Anyone got an extra 12,000 they don't need? Me either, so my trailer build will continue.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I'll be getting the trailer tongue made into a frame running the length of the chassis in the next few weeks. Once it is installed it will be time for new rear suspension with 7 inches of lift so I can get a new axle under it.</div>

I have been there. Was a regular for many years. Been keeping this build off of the jeep forums. Hoping to complete the build and enter it in the All Brands Jeep Show in Butler PA this summer. Then it will be time to take to the highway with it.

After some time in my new Kodiak tent the past two weeks in Pennsylvania and here in New Jersey, I was inspired to work on ET again. An influx of design ideas and energy can go a long ways.<div><br></div><div>I made the decision to shorten ET to be as "Trail Ready" as possible. I need a trailer capable of dealing with some extreme terrain, but still provide some essentials of life in the backwoods. Initially ET was to retain the original interior length. Well the front pair of doors have now been shortened to just inches. ET will be 6'2" in interior length. The roof and floor have been cut back. ET will have the functioning rear hatch and rear doors. This places the axle near the center of the remaining body which will allow for good off road articulation.</div><div><br></div><div>Now the real work begins with re purposing all the removed body parts to enclose the front. I'm trying to not only re purpose my old jeep into a trailer, but also do it with its original sheet metal. My way of keeping my green Jeep green! With any luck only the axle and 2 rims and tires will be the only newly purchased items. A cheap build, but labor intensive. Just another step in my "Recovery Vehicle" progress.</div>

Well this is the end. I got the tongue welded up and ready to install. Prior to installing it, I decided to totally strip the interior and get underneath the jeep for a good look. I should have done this in the beginning and saved myself a lot of work.I soon discovered many places of rusted out body and uni body concealed by paint and trim. I can do many things but a welder and body man I'm not. This has turned out to be a far more difficult task to take on with my disabilities than I had thought it would be. Another good life lesson learned and time to move on. Due to the amount of rust and being a uni body the project has been scrapped for good.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>I got my $500 investment in the vehicle back many times over so no loss there with all the parts that have gone into my other jeeps. Since I have 2 other Cherokees, I just have more donor parts when needed. So it will be living in the tent, cutting up the bulk of the chassis for scrap and saving up for a trailer. Now carpentry I can handle pretty well, even with my&nbsp;disability. So building out a cargo trailer will be a much easier task for me. It just won't be able to go the places I'd hoped to take the Jeep trailer.</div><div><br></div><div>Time to plan the next step....</div>