Holding Tank Treatments

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fill the black tank up with water (through the toilet), then add about two cups of bleach. Let it sit a day and then dump it.

Fill the black tank up about half way with water, then drive around for a few hours, the bumpier the road, the better, then dump it.

I have never tried it but I have heard to fill the tank about half full of water and the dump a bunch of ice cubes in there. as many as you can, then drive it around for a couple of hours. Then dump it. Highdesertranger

I found some stuff I'm going to try, but this time I am going to make sure its as close to full as I can get it.

The Black tank only holds 22 gals, and my Blue Boy holds 28 so I should be able to add some water to to it and flush it out.

Most of the Tank additives say they will dissolve paper as well, so we will see.

I don't have a CLOGGED Tank!!!!

And I'm NOT DEALING WITH A BAG OF POOP PAPER!!!!

Thats what I'm looking for, the drain pipe is maybe 18" long, and the pipe from the toilet in straight down, so clogs won't be a problem. I need something break down the waste and paper.

Thanks!! I'll check it out.

My drains always went directly to the tank. That’s not the clog problem.

The best sensor is opening the toilet valve and looking down into the tank. Our sensors stopped being accurate after the first dumping. We put our used tp in a bag, used Happy Camper (which helps a tremendously with smell, especially when it's hot). And I would spray inside the tank for up to 15 minutes after dumping if there was noone waiting behind me. At least we didn't have to deal with shreds of toilet paper and brown trout (because of the Happy Camper).

I'm an RN and I get the concept of not wanting to deal with your shit. But you own it and you make your choices. But don't expect sensors to work inside the tank. Try the outside the tank sensors that HDR was talking about.

Oh, and Happy Camper is expensive, but my 64oz container lasted over a year with two people full-timing.
Ted

I have heard good things about Happy Camper, I will have to order some.

Well I add some Rid-X to the tank and a bunch it water, the sensors are working now.

I also bought 2 more 7 gallon water jugs and have topped off the fresh tank. And I bought a cleaning wand.

I have an external water port on the outside, I thought I can hook a hose into it, attach it to the wand and give the tank a cleaning when I empty it.

My Black tank is 22 gals' and my BlueBoy is 28 gals, so I should be ok.

The ice cube cleaning idea seems like a simple option. pouring bleach (any amount) in the tank is a bad idea and may cause damage to rubber gasket seals and such. good luck

I have been regular Rid-X for while now and not been noticing any smells with it.

I have decided my sensors are worthless. I dump the tank, flush it twice and it still is not reading correctly. I even tried some sensor cleaner and it did work, but as soon as o add any thing to tank the sensors are showing at least 1/3 tank full. So anymore I just look down thew hole and see where it is at.