Hitching made easy or waste?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tav-2020

Reaction score
Saw this "hitcherific" expanding hitch post. In theory it seems like a good thing for newbies and hitch- challenged folks traveling solo.  But it also looks like there could be added points of failure and/or compromise of structure/safety.
http://www.hitchrific.com/

What do you think?

For $400 I'll get out and look a couple of times in order to get hooked up! Also, as you pointed out, there's that many more potential points of failure.

Vern

I would recommend a backup camera system. They're cheap and extremely useful!

with practice you don't need gizmos to hook up. just practice, you will learn and it will be second nature. highdesertranger

Thanks for your thoughts!
I am fine getting out and looking as much as needed! My problem is, when I had a small pop up trailer, I could get it as close as an inch away and then wreck my back trying to nudge the trailer forward enough to drop the tongue on the ball.  Just don't have the upper body strength to wrangle it.  Would gladly pay 350 to eliminate that strain, but don't want to buy a piece of junk!  And don't want to be helpless. ?

Btw, really like the fluorescent ping pong ball contraption, gsfish!

If you can get it backed and lined up pretty close, a come along hooked to your hitch or bumper would work to nudge it forward. Way less money than one of those type hitches. I have used a come along to winch cars up on a trailer. Not something I ever want to do again though. lol

gsfish said:
That looks pretty crazy,,, complicated, and expensive! $350!!

I built something similar to the gizmo in the picture below using PVC pipe and an old CB antenna magnetic base. Works good. If you don't want to make one yourself, Harbor Freight has one for $10.
https://www.harborfreight.com/magnetic-trailer-alignment-kit-69778.html

reese-solo.jpg

Guy
The ad for the hitchrific mentions it's for atv's, utility and boat trailers but doesn't mention rv's. I couldn't find a weight rating on the website. I would go with the $10 tennis ball setup in conjunction with a backup camera. This should allow you to get the ball right under the coupler with a little practice and not worry about hurting your back.

Dennis said:
  I have used a come along to winch cars up on a trailer.  Not something I ever want to do again though. lol

Especially if that car you're loading has four flat tires!

or it's a crew cab dually with a diesel(not mine). ask me how I know. highdesertranger

tav-2020 said:
Thanks for your thoughts!
I am fine getting out and looking as much as needed! My problem is, when I had a small pop up trailer, I could get it as close as an inch away and then wreck my back trying to nudge the trailer forward enough to drop the tongue on the ball.  Just don't have the upper body strength to wrangle it.  Would gladly pay 350 to eliminate that strain, but don't want to buy a piece of junk!  And don't want to be helpless. ?

Switch out that post for a wheel post and you don't have to wrangle it unless you let the wheel dolly sink in to the mud..then it's on you for not putting it on a piece of board.

When I drove the 35' Class A and hauled the 6x10 cargo trailer with it, it was nigh on impossible to back up the RV and get the post under the hitch no matter how many times you jumped out and checked. Moving 35' of RV 1 or 2 inches just ain't happening. Hence the wheel dolly.

I did get it lined up one time and one time only but that was by sheer accident not good hitching skills.... :D :D 

Here's one like what I have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-6-Trai...oat-Hitch-Replacement-Removable-/311636180890

I think it's just better to learn how to backup to a trailer. I could see a camera being nice but after learning how to do it it's not hard hard at all.

Mr. Elijah, it's not the backing up or the  hooking up that's hard. It's when you need to move the ball or the trailer 1" and you try shoving the trailer sideways at the same time as you're trying to crank the post handle that it gets hard.

Particularly when you're not athletically inclined or just 'old and decrepit'....lol.

That's when a wheel post comes in really handy!!

I use the two ball set up from Harbor Freight. The only issue is when it is windy and it knocks the balls off.

I just learn the trailer. I get it lined up and then study both mirrors to see where the trailer sits in the mirrors, I try to pick out alignment points on the trailer. this works for me. it's funny sometimes people try to help and I have to tell them to get out of the way because they are standing in the way and blocking my alignment points. I can hook up better without someone pointing left of right. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I just learn the trailer.  I get it lined up and then study both mirrors to see where the trailer sits in the mirrors,  I try to pick out alignment points on the trailer.  this works for me.  it's funny sometimes people try to help and I have to tell them to get out of the way because they are standing in the way and blocking my alignment points.  I can hook up better without someone pointing left of right.  highdesertranger

Stranger, can't say how relieved I am to read your above remarks.  I will be dealing with "hitching" in future & was beginning to dread the prospect of doing it single handed.  You have given me confidence that I  *can*  do it!

Thanks,
rolleyes.gif
Charlotte

Charlotte, like anything else, it's all a matter of learning and experience.

The only time I need or want help backing up to my cargo trailer these days is when I'm forced to do it from the blind side because the kid parked it wrong.... :rolleyes:

The first few times, you need to do it when you have all the time and the patience in the world...do it when you're in a hurry or grumpy and you'll be cursing like a sailor (no offense to any of our marines...lol.l You'll be in and out of the drivers' seat like a yoyo.

Then you'll learn where to line up the side of the van with the trailer edge and how close you can get. A few more tries and you'll come to within a few inches the first time.

It does take practice, you're not going to be perfect the first time out! If you do, then it was beginners luck.... :p

When I'm close, I leave my drivers' door open, my foot on the step and mentally make a mark on the ground. That way I can judge more accurately what 3" or whatever the distance is.

I also swear by the use of the wheel dolly so I don't have to get the thing within a hair width of dropping on the ball!... :)