Hightops and parking garages don't mix well

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could let some air out of the tires to get unstuck.

On the plus side, the steel top didn't sheer off like a fiberglass or aluminum one would have.

On the minus side, the truck is really wedged in there because the steel top didn't sheer off.

LeeRevell said:
How'd he get in there to begin with? Needs to go out that same way.

Some garages have entrances on both sides of the block. Maybe the other one had more clearance. I know of at least one place where the loading dock is connected to the garage. So maybe he entered via the loading dock.

Could be due to the incline of the ramp too. A buddy uses one particular exit where I worked because the sharp incline of the other one gave him problems with his low-slung car (1981 MG Midget). All entries/exits are marked "6ft 9inches" high - but that angle of the ramp can give longer vehicles a fit too.

I have also seen indoor shopping mall garages have a higher clearance at one end but a lower clearance at the other end. I almost whacked out my Yakima cargo boxes until my passenger told me to hit the brakes! I felt stupid having to go in reverse while there were vehicles behind me trying to exit. Duh!

I'm sure I would be more comfortable in a high top van, but for my parking needs in urban areas, a low top van is way more convenient for me. There are many street spots I cannot park at even with my low top van due to low hanging tree branches jutting out from the curb. It would be no problem for a car to park there, but any regular size van would smack the tree branches. Annoying.