Hightop Safari = Mini Van? + Aliner

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
I was surprised when I learned that my Safari is a mini van.  I need tires and when I talk to the tire shops they don't seem to get it that this is not a Socker Mom's van...nothing wrong if it was...... it just ain't.  At the very least I need one set of tires on the van.  The front ones are worn due to needing a front end alignment.  I'd like to put  heavy duty tires on the rear because the van will be used as a camper and also as a tow vehicle for the Aliner.   Then move the rear tires forward.  My mechanic said the rear tires have about 15,000 miles left however I don't know how old they are.  After tires a alignment of course.

If things work out myself, Queenie and all my worldly goods will be in this van and T.T. and I want to be safe going down the road.  I'm having the same problem I had with the Ranger I do not want the passenger tires that are recomended.  I want a heavier tire, something that can run well both on and off road.  No rock crawling just gravel roads, maybe dirt ones and no/little snow if ever.

I need the best tire at the lowest price.  The Aliner's tires look new however they are 10 years old and need to be replaced too.  Is there a big difference in types of trailer tires?  It weighs less than 1,000lbs empty.

As always any help/info is gratefully recieved

Jewellann

On one of the sides of every tire there is a number/letter combination that begins with DOT.
Post them and we'll know the mfg date.
(The last few digits are the key ....week 1-52 and year 7 would be 2017 or 2007 unless they're really old.)
The tire place SHOULD know this , beware if they play dumb.

rvpopeye said:
On one of the sides of every tire there is a number/letter combination that begins with DOT.
Post them and we'll know the mfg date.
(The last few digits are the key ....week 1-52 and year 7 would be 2017 or 2007 unless they're really old.)
The tire place SHOULD know this , beware if they play dumb.

Thanks.... as soon as I think I can bend over without fallin' over and it's not raining I'll go check it out.  Big wind and rain in early hours here.  I slept through lab appt. and can't work in the storage due to rain and big rolling overhead door.  Now watching Hurt video with Johnny Cash and trying to convince Queenie to wake up.......she just roams around the bed giving me the evil eye when I uncover her.  A week of my being stressed has worn her out.

Jewellann

I also posted this on another of your threads before I could find this one again (plus responded to your PM.

Typical DOT tire mfg code (from my car) They will usually only be on one side of tire.

DOT (PJ6L) (KK1R) (3611)

The first two groups after DOT are brand and where mfg and the last group 3611 is the date code.
36th week of 2011
( some codes are only three digits 367 would be 36th week of 2007 or 037 would be 3rd week of 2007)Hopefully they haven't changed this since I learned how to read them......

A couple of links to get more info

http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm

http://www.nhtsa.gov/apps/manufacturer/index.htm

https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/

Watch 'Wandering Star' by Lee Marvin... inspirational. From Paint Your Wagon, from days of future....past.

Rob

What size are your tires? When I need new tires I find the ones I want online then go somewhere local and tell them that's what they're putting on. You know the type of use you'll put the tires through, not them.

I would also consider the Astro/safari a bit heavier duty than a minivan

It all depends on how much "Stuff" you plan of carrying. The more weight, the more tire you need. Most people will get away with just "P" rated tires. If your carrying alot of weight, then an "XL" tire (Xtra-load") tire will be needed. You can go all the way to "C" load rate tires with 14 and 15" tires. Most people with Astro vans will never need "C" load range.