High cost of showers on the road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Washing my long hair was always a big water use but I now keep it cut to about 1/2" with a battery powered clipper. Going bald anyway. A hot wet towel takes care of it. Time to cut the beard short too.

Dingfelder said:
I had a Belgian friend who spoke of this admiringly as "the French way."  No bathing, only perfume once in a while.  She often looked greasy, especially her hair.  I have known many women with stinky hair. 

People's bacterial colonies vary by a surprising degree.  I would not recommend anyone assume they don't smell.  Quite the opposite; we tend to get used to our own smells very quickly and they become invisible to us.  I'd recommend, instead of surfing on the wave of our own oblivion to our odors, assuming that that our stink is perpetually crashing on the shores of many miffed noses.

Well said.  Exactly what I think, but much more diplomatically stated.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I only take a real shower once every 3 - 4 weeks. Other than my hair, no one can ever tell I didn't take a shower this morning. But I always wear a cap anyway, so I always look and smell fresh. [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I use baby wipes. One package with alcohol, one without. Alcohol wipes go on parts that get stinky. I use a slightly damned cloth on face after baby wipe to remove soap residue. I do this as I change clothes morning and night. Two wipes and 1/8 cup of water each time. I save the used wipes in a baggie to clean my butt when I poop. In the mornings, I also apply deodorant.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I am so clean I can usually wear the same T-shirt for a few weeks without it smelling at all. [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The only reason I need to take regular showers is to exfoliate. Once the dead skin accumulates it starts to feel grody. I can take care of most of it by dry-brushing. But I can't dry-brush my face.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]So I get a shower when I go into town to dump my porta-potty. At the La Paz County Park, north of Parker, AZ, you can pay for one night if dry camping for $20 and that includes a dump and all the showers to want (unlimited hot water).[/font]

^^^^^^^^FAQ...…."Are you showering in your own dirty water"

""Yes, EverShower gives you the option to keep using the same water for as long as you like. You can easily replace the water anytime, even mid-shower, and do a rinse.

If you have plenty of fresh water available EverShower can be set to run on continuous fresh water just like any regular shower.

When set to recycle, however, the EverShower is fully self-contained (no grey-water on the ground and no standing in the dirt).

With this method it’s obviously not wasting water but it’s also not wasting the energy required to heat the water. Recycling heated water means much of the heat is retained.

Sharing one bath with the whole family, not long ago, was just normal. We’re not suggesting sharing with the whole family, though you certainly can, but just reusing your own water for a while. It’s really no more traumatic than a bath and means you can enjoy a long, hot shower in the most remote, water-scarce locations.
Guilt-free showering in the desert, for example, gazing up through the steam at the stars is one of the truly glorious experiences few people get to enjoy.

I bought a back seat clothes rack at a thrift store that didn't fit my car... bummer, wasted 2 bucks. I went to throw it in my temporary storage shed- my caveman truck topper- and found out it was perfect to attach to the camper door and side of truck giving me a shower rod to hang a curtain on. wooo hooo. Saved me from buying a shower tent for my summer camping trip to Canada

abnorm said:

""Yes, EverShower gives you the option to keep using the same water....
Beware! In the hygiene threads one person's Wow is another person's Oh ick.  -crofter

abnorm said:

Here is a DIY version of this and he uses a filter and Epsom salts to keep the dirt and soap from recirculating.

I'm one of the people that has to bathe every single day. I've been working on places to go that I can dry camp but drive a short distance to water or haul more water. Anywsy let me share this for the people that can stand inside. I use a natural sponge. Stand inside a carry tote. Heat a bucket of water . 2 gal galv is what I have. That's not a shower but it's a really good bath. Doesnt make a mess. Dont need shower curtain. Guy on video told Bob he showered out side wearing gym shorts I think he said. That's a good idea. Lady said she could do everything with a rain poncho . That's an exellent idea!!! Outside. Second thing is wifi. That's my main requirements.

abnorm said:

not much different than taking a bath where you are not rinsing off in clean water afterwards. Except in a bath tub you have a great many more gallons of water instead of recycling the same small volume of water.

TMooney said:
I'm one of the people that has to bathe every single day. I've been working on places to go that I can dry camp  but drive a short distance to water or haul more water. Anywsy let me share this for the people that can stand inside.  I use a natural sponge.  Stand inside a carry tote. Heat a bucket of water . 2 gal galv is what I have. That's not a shower but it's a really good bath. Doesnt make a mess. Dont need shower curtain. Guy on video  told Bob he showered out side wearing gym shorts I think he said.  That's a good idea.  Lady said she could do everything with a rain poncho . That's an exellent idea!!! Outside. Second thing is wifi.  That's my main requirements.
yes I suppose there are waterproof tablets and phones you can take into the shower. Some folks just can't stand to disconnect for even a few minutes judging by how many people place phone calls while sitting on the john. They give it away with the flush and running water noises.

Just a week ago I joined Planet Fitness mainly for taking showers when I'm on the road.

Now I don't even want to go there because of this friggin' virus thing.