Hi y’all (from Texas so I say y’all?)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skooliemom

Reaction score

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I am a single mom living in a simple no-build build. I only had 30 days to covert my 6 window bus. It runs off propane had all the seats removed and the floor was already insulated. I have a little boy who will be 5 in February. I am looking at buying some land in my area to live off grid. Then travel once we have more of a money nest egg. I have a YouTube channel(nothing posted yet) and Instagram. Tell me what you want to see.?? Skooliemom ?[/font]

Welcome Skooliemom to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Welcome to the CRVL Forum   :)

Since you are in Texas you have the climate there going for you.  I know it can get cold there, my Dad's family lives there.

I like the idea of having some land and living off grid.   I've often thought of building a semi underground garage to park my rig in.  I'd have windows all over the south facing to take advantage of solar heating in the winter.  Shades would cover that in the summer.

Such a structure would allow you to pull your rig out and travel whenever you want.  So your Schoolie would be a house within a house.  The garage could even have a bath & shower and utility room...perhaps as an extra bedroom.

Check out his Earthship concept part 1 of 3 (on Youtube) and see if you could get any ideas from it.  There are other ways to build one of these than earth filled old tires which are a lot of time and work. 

[video=youtube]

Good luck

Decades ago Popular Mechanics ( I think) had an article re such a garage for an RV. One whole side was sliding glass doors, which was covered by garage doors when the RV was on the road. Inside was the bathroom and storage area and the sliding glass doors opened onto a large patio. The RV could be plugged into shore power and used as an apartment within the garage.

Here in Texas, land is generally cheaper, easily available, and less restrictive on the western half of the state...land (and the overall cost of living) is generally more affordable in the panhandle-plains around Amarillo and Lubbock, and in the desert areas east of El Paso.

GypsyJan said:
The RV could be plugged into shore power and used as an apartment within the garage.

At one time I thought I would buy a small piece of land in Minnesota where I have family but the winters are so-o-o cold.  If you built an A-frame garage large enough to park an RV in, the garage would shelter from winds and heavy snow. Heating the garage with a wood stove would make it easier to keep the RV warm.

That is amazing, I plan to post up in east Texas being off grid. I done want to add anything garages like the bus will be fine on a gravel driveway.

just a FYI. the above article about turning a RV into a straw bail home reminded me of this. sure it works, but if you are making it warm and cozy for yourself you are also making it warm and cozy for critters. especially your smaller mammals like mice and rats, they love straw bale homes, add some heat and food and you will have rat nirvana. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
... they love straw bale homes, add some heat and food and you will have rat nirvana.  highdesertranger

You could probably count on having to replace all the wiring in the engine compartment come springtime...

I have been wintering over near Brownsville, TX. So far we haven't had a cold day yet this year. It was about 80 degrees yesterday and will be in the low 70s today, now that a cool front came through. It gets a little cool at night, sometimes, but hasn't got anywhere near freezing yet. I love me some TX!

Here's the 10 day forecast for example: https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Los+Indios+TX+78567:4:US

You could stay all winter (6 months) at the FHU RV park I'm staying in for 160/mo. + electric. They have free showers, a lending library for books and DVDs. they have and a real nice community with activities galore, including safe, group, day trips across the border for cheap meds, tequila, dental work and such. The owner even treated us to a free turkey and ham dinner for Christmas and New Years. They are nice folks, for sure. The only caveat is it's a 55+ park.

Chip