Hi Y’all— I’m new

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ33

Reaction score
Hey y’all, I’m grateful for this site and really really grateful for Bob’s videos. 

My work requires me to travel all over the US, so when I’m not in a hotel,  I’ve been living in my Dodge Caravan for a little over a year and while it’s been great, I’m finding space constraints to be an impasse. 

I’m currently in the market for a used ambulance, as I believe this is going to be my perfect solution and home for the next three years likely.  I had no idea the insurance/plate drama existed, so I’m REALLY happy I saw a thread in here before purchasing.

I’ve spent hours online looking at various models up for sale, and have even stopped at random fire departments during road trips just in case they may be selling in the near future.  I of course want to spend as little on the vehicle as possible, so that I can invest in the conversion.

I’m excited to play and create the kitchen, shower, bed etc...

And while there’s a plethora of thorough, helpful YouTube videos and threads about solar/battery/ power—-I do NOT feel comfortable doing any of it.  

My question for all of you is....can you offer any contacts who’d be up for the gig?  This is one area that I just feel much better paying someone else to do.

Also,  if there’s some secret auction or county sites that I may be missing, I’d greatly appreciate more sources in the virtual roledex!!  I want my ambulance NOW????

Thanks in advance for any info you may like to share!!  And stay safe out there❤️,  JJ

Welcome to the CRVL forums JJ! Good luck with your search!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum. Some things about ambulances that I noticed when I was looking at them. They are heavy, they have large gas gussling engines. Many spent their life idling. The odometer may say 60,000, but it may have just as many hours of operation.

They have a lot of storage around the outside, but this also limits interior space. Their electrical systems are pretty complicated. wires everywhere to run devices that you will not have. Their VIN may still come up as a commercial vehicle, so like you mentioned, may be hard to insure.

You may be able to find a one ton box van that can be registered as a regular vehicle, (non commercial), and have a whole lot less work stripping out the things an ambulance has and you do not want. A small bus build would be a lot easier, but again it is a commercial vehicle.

Welcome to the group JJ.

In some states and counties they will only let ambulance and police cars get so many miles on it and then sell it no matter the condition of the vehicle. You might be able to get a good deal there.

As an EMT I served during the time we switched from cadillacs to vans and then to box trucks. The box trucks became popular because when the truck got to be too old or too many miles they lifted the box off the back and set it on a new chasey. I can't remember any of these vehicles that were very fuel efficient. Good luck with your search.

My neighbor has I believe an 05 with the 6.0 diesel. He wants about 14,000 I think. My take is the rap this engine gets is mainly when you try to do things like chips or aftermarket upgrades. My son has an 06 f350 with that engine. He did the whole “fix” thing and put in a killer turbo. His wife hates it cause she uses it to pull her horse to shows and stuff. He bought it thinking I’d want to buy it and use it when I’m on the road. But I’m rebuilding an old truck camper. I like my 99 f 350 with the 7.3... over 500,000 miles and hauling canoes and kayaks coast to coast! Email if you want a picture of said ambulance. I’d agree it wouldn’t be the best economically. But would be pretty cool!
[email protected]