hi :) newbie here, in the planning/saving stage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catlova

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in my late 30s, work full time and tired of feeling stagnant.  I'd like more adventure in my life, and I'd like to save a lot of money.  I already posted but maybe in the wrong spot: https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=29998  Eh, well, I'll continue there for updates since that's where I started.  The moderators are free to move that thread to the right spot if they want.

I'm looking to save up for a cargo van with a high top or a Sprinter and then convert it and live stealthy while I continue to work full time until I have a nest egg big enough to let me travel and work on passion projects.

Thanks for this helpful community full of kindness and advice.  Appreciate all these helpful posts as I learn more about how to do this!

Catlova (staying anonymous for now since I'm planning to work full time in one area and must be stealthy)

Welcome to the CRVL forums Catlova!

Good luck on the purchase and build. Lot's of info in these forums for sure...

Welcome to the forum.. it's great to have you here.

Echoing the welcomes above ... glad to have you aboard! You'll [as you probably already know] find lots of good stuff here to help you along your way. Good luck!

Welcome Catlova to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

I'm also in the saving/ planning stage, but will likely move back to the mainland soon and start looking for a van. The fact that I have no mechanical/building experience at all worries me, but stealth camping does not at all. I hope I can find a van that I can afford and somehow fix it up for urban camping. I will need help for sure. Finding someone at a reasonable price is my main concern other than a van that is mechanically viable.

You are not alone, Catlova. I, too, am in the planning stages and came here because I am familiar with the forum layout. From what I have read from the past week, this is the place to get your questions answered.

I'm assuming from your name you must have some cats along? :)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!  I appreciate you'all stopping by to comment and welcome me!
_______
Njaco -- "I'm assuming from your name you must have some cats along?"  :)
_______

Unfortunately no cats.  My roommate has an elderly (and grouchy) cat so out of respect for them both, I don't have any pets.  Also, it's my roommates' place, so kinda no choice.  I love animals but have never had a pet of my own (except when a child) as I've always had roommates who didn't want pets or a significant other who was allergic.  Living in the Bay Area, I've never had my a place of my own and only recently could I even afford one (but then, not have any extra money with which to save aggressively).  I think when I get to the point where I'm traveling in a converted van, then I'll probably get a pet of some sort.  A cat with a wanderlust soul would be nice, or I've always liked Alaskan husky types (maybe a smaller one though).  You are correct in that I love cats!   ;)  I happen to have 3 cat calendars this year (don't ask how that happened).

GeorgiePorgie, it's funny, I'm less worried about the actual conversion, and more about remaining stealthy.  I hope you can find a good van at a good price and someone to help you out affordably too.  There are a lot of setups that are rather simple, so you can always go that route if need be.  I also worry about finding a good mechanically sound van at a good price, but I figure the more I save up, the higher chance I can afford a good one.

wagoneer - I'm impressed you could start in a station wagon.  Personally, I don't have a car nor do I want to rush to get this done.  I want take my time to learn and immerse myself with all this vanlife stuff so that by the time I buy the van, I'll know what I want to do with it.  It also gives me time to get over the emotional pull some of my stuff has on me.

Thanks again for the welcome!  I'll continue on my Captain Catlova thread for updates.

Latest posts