Hi! Cool site

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konaexpress

Reaction score
Hi,

May name is John. Found this place by accident but think it's kinda cool. I have been fascinated by the idea of tiny home living for a while now but there are too many pitfalls that go with it. The idea of van dwelling looks to make a neat compromise between the idea of tiny home and RV living.

John

Welcome to the  site.  You seem to have started the same way I did.

Hi John and welcome!

I too, am finding that perhaps van-dwelling will be my perfect meld of tiny living and still wanting to travel--plus experience living on the coast, in the mountains and in the desert!

Gigi

Hi, John, and welcome!

You were searching for some keywords that got you here, so you are likely a kindred spirit. On the various threads in this forum, you'll find the good (most of it) and also the harder parts of living in a van or cargo trailer or other small/simple rig. It is not for everyone, but most of us would now not live any other way (as long as we are able).

Your timing may be great as Bob's current Blog (see very top menu on this site) shows a van with a topside tent that is available for rent in various cities (vs renting a class C RV that most RV companies rent out). Anything that would give you an idea of daily life in a van will help you make a better decision.

Would you be traveling and boondocking mainly or living in a city or town?

Welcome to the CRVL forums John! Small cargo trailers and box trucks are also very popular for builds. Either will give you more room and more of a tiny home style build. Think of how you want to use your tiny home before buying anything. Each type - van, trailer, truck or RV has advantages and disadvantages. Get the one that best suits your travel and living needs.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

WriterMs said:
Would you be traveling and boondocking mainly or living in a city or town?

Hi and thanks to all!

My plan would be to travel the Oregon and Washington coast, and do some gunk-holing on shore. I'm also a vet so I like to have a plan "B" in case of an emergency.

John