hey y'all

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southern.nomad

Reaction score
Hey! I've been reading all I can on this and other sites to learn all I Can... I'm currently trying to figure out how to convert my ford f150 and hope to meet everyone at the RTR in January!  :)

Southern.nomad! Welcome to the CRVL forums! The basic premiseis start simple with your conversion and figure it out as you go. Mostly everyone's van I know is awork in progress, constantly.

Looking forward to seeing you at the RTR!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum   :) 

If ya got a good truck the easiest way would be to  find a good used Pickup-Camper

caed40ac9d2f6642462805c569efded6.jpg

one of these with legs will allow you to jack it up and pull out from under it so you can use your truck to go paces.  

If you wanted to 5th wheel,  Those little Scamp Trailers are nice and basic and affordable used.

scamp-fifth-wheel-exterior.jpg

http://www.scamptrailers.com/

If you are just hankering to build a rig,  you may want to look at these plans from Glen-L

https://www.glen-l.com/campers/glenlrv.html

There are Campers,  Trailers, 5th wheel's, and other things to take a look at.

All the best

Thanks eDJ! Im hankerin to get on the road soon so I've been eyeballing the smaller camper shells? caps? To replace my current hard top bed liner until I can save up for something fancier. Ive been looking for vans on CL but not relly able to afford a nice one right now and also very little carpentery skills so then I decided I already own this truck and its PIF so why not just use it for awhile... Shes been good to me all these years... :) :) :)

I built a 24" spacer between the bed and the cap.
WAY more space and headroom.
I used 2" of foil backed polyiso insulation everywhere and even Maine winters and S Cali were no problemo.

There's you an idea Nomad.  Popeye's got ya covered with a simple enough project that wouldn't take much time or material.  Probably not much $ either.   Find some of those guys who make rain guttering & soffiting on site and they may have some 24" coil stock they can cut and sell you to cover that extension. Your outside would be all metal then.  

The extension wouldn't take much in skills or tools and a moon lighting carpenter could probably help you build that in an evening or two after work.  He may even have some used 2x4's and plywood to use in this.

The most work you would have to do would be on the rear door opening to the living area.

But you would have about as much head room and living area as you would in a regular short wheel base Van.  (only not having the cross thru you would have with a Van)   But at least it would be a workable start and could have you on the road within a week or so while using what you already have. :D

LOL,  carry a rod, reel, and tackle box and if anyone ask you anything just tell them you're on a fishing trip.