hey, travis here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbarton99

Reaction score
hello all, my name is Travis, I'm coming out from new York in a beat up old police car, a 2005 ford e350 I with help from other vandwellers call "chief wiggum". I'm currently a full timer and also working on the van which I'm sure will always be the case with such an old van. I'm not kidding myself, I'm expecting a lot of labor but this is the life I choose and to me the benefits will be better. So a little about me, I'm currently a cook, cashier, laborer, security guard, filmmaker, photographer, artist, phew... Hand cramp lol, writer, trying to be a bartender, craftsman, biz marketer, um... Am I forgetting anything... Oh tradesman (am I using this word right... Buying and selling... Idk) I got tho idea to vandwell from checking out camping on fb and YouTube after my interest peeked while being a traveling cook works concerts and music festivals. Seemed like a freedom I desperately needed and now being orphaned, I don't have anything to loose so I thought I would try it. Looking to explore, learn, and experience new and free life trying to respark a formerly dull life

Welcome Travis! Is the 350 a police car? Or do you have two vehicles? Where you headed?

Welcome Travis to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome,

i too was confused, are you in an E350, a Crown Vic or what? Sounds like you are in a van but not too many departments used them.  Anyways, if you s choose, go down to the lower part of the home forum page and read whatever pertinent sub-forum you feel led to. I've learned basically all I know about electricals, insulation, boondocking in the various subforums, and it has been a tremendous help.

You will quickly recognize the "old salts" from their thousands of posts and reputation rating (which you can +1 if you like what they have written), you can trust what they say.

Remember the forum rules, mainly be civil and no politics. I once got frustrated when people kept asking very searchable questions, only to be gently reminded that not everyone is "search engine savvy" or simply is not in the best of circumstances/mindframe. So while an internet or forum search is often productive, if you feel overwhelmed or simply need some help, ask away!  :D

Be safe and I hope that you learn a lot from the forum. Watch YouTube videos on vandwelling if you can, some of those are done by members, many are not.

We have an annual get together called rubber tramp rendezvous (RTR), in Quartsite AZ in the winter, watch for it. There are occasional regional get together as well.

Enjoy!

AbuelaLoca said:
Welcome Travis! Is the 350 a police car? Or do you have two vehicles? Where you headed?

hello, thanks for the welcome 350 is the model number of the van aka econonline 350. After I work and build up my van all I know is that ill be headed west, I hope to be seeing the sights of different states and see if there could be a place for me or am I a traveler at heart.

Welcome to the forum Travis. Has any family member hit you with criticism like: "You're a jack of all trades and a master of none".

I don't know how old you are, but keep plugging away and you may fill out that occupations list to make it as lengthy as mine.

slow2day said:
Welcome to the forum Travis. Has any family member hit you with criticism like:  "You're a jack of all trades and a master of none".

I don't know how old you are, but keep plugging away and you may fill out that occupations list to make it as lengthy as mine.

well to be honest, what's left of my family after I was orphaned I don't really speak to and that was before I had the idea of the van but yea I've had friends say that lol I know with this life I choose, I will have to do what ever I can to make things work and I will need money for repairs so looking everywhere lol. But as you can imagine or even know yourself this is a brand new start for me and ill make new family and friends who hopefully support me and my nee life will be cherished

trbarton99 said:
I know with this life I choose, I will have to do what ever I can to make things work and I will need money for repairs so looking everywhere lol.

Self-reliance is a pretty valuable thing to have. It comes to people in different ways. As long as you're game, you'll do alright. Good luck vannin' and there's loads of help here.

Latest posts