Hey ! Battery charger question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefiddy

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. I intro'ed over a year ago, then life happened, and I'm finally getting my build going.
  My question is... do i need to have a disconnect between my mppt (Outback flexmax 80) and my battery bank ( not purchased yet) when using my a/c powered Iota 55 smart charger/converter? 
 I will be starting out with 4 180 grape panels in s/p configuration. 
Ive been reading here, but have not seen this particular question asked or answered.
 Luv y'all and appreciate every thing you do here for all us ignant peeps! Dave

I have a MPPT solar charger and a shore charger. If you decide you want to do this anyway for some reason, you will have to disconnect the panels before disconnecting the charge controller from the batteries.. Always and I mean always disconnect the panels from the controller first and when reconnecting, the panels are connected last. I don't disconnect the solar before plugging in. Whichever device can supply the power needed wins. Different charging sources work together. I also charge from the alternator when driving and don't disconnect the solar. Just put a fuse next to the battery for each charging source. Nobody disconnects any charging source that I am aware of.

Thanx Brian, I thought that was the correct way, just needed to verify to ease my mind a little. Dave

treefiddy said:
Thanx Brian, I thought that was the correct way, just needed to verify to ease my mind a little. Dave

Yes!!! The I always recommend an easily accessible switch to be able to disconnect the panels for any kind of service to your system to prevent damage to the charge controller or other components.

I probably over-fuse but I fuse battery also, mostly in case of some kind of catastrophic failure of a cable or connector or direct lightning strike if you are superstitious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk