here's what I expect for electrics in my conversion van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchie

Reaction score
Hi there,

I would like to check with forum members if my plans for "electrics" for my first conversion van, which will be turn into a camper.
Just to mention the van I bought is a 1998 ford E150 starcraft conversion van. Our goal is not to live in the van, but we expect to go out for camping and / or boondocking.So again, here's my plan. I would like to have 2 x 6 volt aux. batteries. I have bought a 3000 watt inverter (modified sine wave) I expect to run electric devices such as coffee pot, lamps laptop, and perhaps small microwave. no refrigirator at this point is expected... I intend to use a 5 days coolman cooler, since we won't be away for long period of time. Those 12 volts fridge are a bit pricy, and consume good amount of energy...Also might consider portable solar pannel to recharge the aux. batteries... (I mention portable cause I don't want to put anything on top roof of the van. Does this plan sound "logical" to you ???

thanks for your help

Hi Frenchie,
What are your plans for recharging your batteries? you say you "might" get solar, so in absence of that, I assume you plan to charge off of your vehicle alternator? I would say that your usage outline is probably on the high side for that, requiring a fairly long period of driving to recover. There's some good threads here that you can use search feature for that will be helpful. From what I've read, its possible you won't have very good luck using the microwave with only 2 x 6v flooded, combined with a modified sine.

Hey frenchie,

I think the 3000 watt inverter is a bit too much!
That's around 250 amps at 12 Volts flowing through there.

Do you really need 3000 watts at the same time? How about a 1000 watt inverter and stagger your loads?

couple of points, get a car charger for your lap top. you probably can't run a microwave off a MSW inverter. the 12v refers are very efficient, they sip electricity. you must remember that if they say it takes 3.5A, that's only when it's running. they don't run all the time. so for that 3.5A refer it might consume 20-40A per day depending on ambient temps. I do realize that you are not full time and an ice chest might make sense, but you must not only consider the price of the ice chest but the ice, which starts to add up the more you use it. not to mention the cost of ruined food. highdesertranger

I agree with ahh_me2.  Two 6 volt GC batteries are not going to power a 3,000 watt inverter, you're going to need a much bigger battery bank to run that for any length of time.

Regards
John

Thanks for the comments so far... I am now just a bit more confused... yes Brad, I was thinkin of using alternator to recharge the aux. batteries, since I think we would be on the road every day we're out. Perhaps it just don't make sence ???Now regarding the 3000 watt inverter, I thought "the more was better" and it was on sale like 50% off.  Now about the colemen cooler, I will buy a lot of ice before  spending  $800.00 (unless I'd find a use one for cheap) I thought it was a good idea, I event thought I could connect the drain plug into my gray water tank, so I would'nt have to empty the water when ice  are melting.

Anyway I think I'll have to read a bit more before buying anything. I still have a lot of time ahead, since I woun't use the van before next spring - summer  my schedule plan is to take the whole winter to get the rebuild the van (mostly building a kinchenette, counter & sink) closet for storage, curtain pole etc...
I will take lots of picture for you guys to see, perhaps itmay give new ideas to members...

thanks again !

Frenchie, before you choose an inverter, make a list of everything that you would like to plug into it, find the ones that need to be run at the same time,
then add up the current requirements(Watts or amps)
That will give you a starting point on either what size of inverter, or that you need to revisit your plans.

I run a microwave every day and love it. But there is no way you are doing it off the cars alternator. You need 400 watts of solar, 4, 6 volt golf carts and a 2000 watt pure sine wave.

Because you don't want to mount the panels on the roof you'll have to carry them inside and that won't be any fun at all!

For you, I think you would be much better off with a Honda 2000 generator. It'll let you run everything you want and not really take up that much space--less than the panels inside. It'll weigh less than two extra 6 volt batteries.
Bob

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've been running the small microwave in our RT190--with two 12 volt gel cells and a Xantrex 1000 watt (1200 surge)  MSW inverter (Costco).   My batteries are old and I normally only use the inverter when the engine is running--to get a few extra amps.   Even still, the microwave "dims" slightly when used and takes a little longer (vs. shore power) to cook.   We also use the inverter for a small toaster---but not at the same time.   I've been using this setup for about 8 years now with the only issue being the very old (orginal)  gel batteries-- that don't hold a charge long.   Solar and new batteries on my wish list!

JT646 said:
Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've been running the small microwave in our RT190--with two 12 volt gel cells and a Xantrex 1000 watt (1200 surge)  MSW inverter (Costco).   My batteries are old and I normally only use the inverter when the engine is running--

The key being "only use the inverter when the engine is running".
You could probaly remove the batteries and run the inverter off the alternator and have the microwave work, but the opposite wouldn't hold true.

1000 watt inverter at no loss requires P=EI , 1000/12=83 amps , which is a little more than a small alternator puts out and a bit less than a 95 amp alternator.

Since the output of the alternator in the high AMP end requires high RPM's your batteries are probably supplying the difference.

then again you can forget about the microwave, get a propane cooker as you will likely need this anyways if you don't already have one, forget about your coffee machine and use a Boden or plunger style coffee maker or some other way of making coffee. I have 12 volt LED lights in my kurbmaster, I charge my phone and my laptop, using a 14.00 75 watt inverter, run my 12 volt TV, VCR off the same inverter, sometimes two movies a night, the extractor fan which is a 12 volt computer model at every meal, and the fan for my heater, I managed 6 months everyday in your part of the world with a 40 watt solar panel that came with an inverter I bought on special at Canadian tire for 99.00, I use old juice bottles and freeze them in the fridge at work and change them out every three days or so for refridgeration, I did not have to charge my one 12 volt deep cycle battery once all summer, nor did I use the alternator, the same with last summer and the summer before however I did put it on the charger once when I arrive in May once in the middle of August and once when I leave at he end of October to equalize it, I think. That has been working for me, I can live without a microwave and a coffee machine. I also have a small Dodge Caravan poptop camper that we used for three months on a trip to Alaska with a 12 volt fridge one 12 volt deep cycle house battery. We ran our fridge only when we drove, with small ice packs in the freezer section that froze as we drove then kept everything cold while we were stopped overnight. hope that helps you make some decisions on your power needs. good luck.
ps the thing about big inverters is that they take juice to run the fan so if you don't use that much power it is a waste of energy.

Microwaves are normally powered via a generator while boondocking...

You can get a car cord for your computer hopefully.

Battery powered or 12v lamps are easy to get, even small self contained solar/hand crank LED lanterns. Also kerosene lamps can be nice, and can be found at Walmart in the camping section for only $4.95 each.

Coffee pots can be had that work on top of a camp stove.

A Coleman style camp stove oven, or a dutch oven on top of a camp stove can heat up anything just as well as a microwave can, without the need for the extra electricity.

I also use and prefer an ice chest...

I try to keep everything 12v only, so I never need an inverter. It's amazing how many things are available in 12v varieties.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Microwaves are normally powered via a generator while boondocking...

You can get a car cord for your computer hopefully.

Battery powered or 12v lamps are easy to get, even small self contained solar/hand crank LED lanterns.  Also kerosene lamps can be nice, and can be found at Walmart in the camping section for only $4.95 each.

Coffee pots can be had that work on top of a camp stove.

A Coleman style camp stove oven, or a dutch oven on top of a camp stove can heat up anything just as well as a microwave can, without the need for the extra electricity.

I also use and prefer an ice chest...

I try to keep everything 12v only, so I never need an inverter.  It's amazing how many things are available in 12v varieties.

Hey off grid, I like your comments, about Coleman propane stove, which I already have...to replace microwave. also the idea of having everything on 12 volts to miniminize power consumption. But can anyone explain to me what "ice chest" is ??? (I am a french speaking person, so I am not getting 100% of what I read... my idea regarding Coleman cooler, was to put the cooler Inside a drawer within my kitchenette counter, I was kinda proud of thinking of that, since I never saw that anywhere.

frenchie said:
Hey off grid, I like your comments, about Coleman propane stove, which I already have...to replace microwave. also the idea of having everything on 12 volts to miniminize power consumption. But can anyone explain to me what "ice chest" is ??? (I am a french speaking person, so I am not getting 100% of what I read... my idea regarding Coleman cooler, was to put the cooler Inside a drawer within my kitchenette counter, I was kinda proud of thinking of that, since I never saw that anywhere.
If you put ice in your cooler to keep things cold, that is also known as an ice chest.  Ice chest and cooler are the same here in the US AFAIK.

An observation on the food cooler/ice chest from my experience.   I've owned 105 qt size, 68 qt,  48 qt, and 36 qt size units.   The larger and more bulky sizes are a semi permanent fixture especially when full of food & ice.
Good to have aboard a boat etc where ice is carried aboard to fill the unit.  I've found having 2 36 qt coolers
to be more manageable an can be lifted and moved when full.  When I set up camp I've been able to station those outside my Van to have more room inside and the units were tied shut at night to keep small animals
out if their contents.

Second is learning the fine art of regulating the water level inside them.  There is a optimum level of water in the
ice that will allow the ice to last longer.   I first read about this in a Sail Boat magazine where this was discussed.
I can't tell you how much water exactly but I try to keep mine with about an inch or 2.5 cm of water when
full of ice.  As the ice melts I drain the water off to decreasing levels that are proportional to the amount of ice.

I save the water in a plastic pitcher for other uses if I'm not around a safe drinking water source.   I normally
carry 3 five gallon "Jerry Tanks" of water with me on extended trips.  (these look like the metal gasoline
cans often seen on the back of Military vehicles,  except mine are plastic)

My 36 qt coolers are rugged built and when placed outside I can use them for seating or an ottoman
if I'm seated in a camp chair.

frenchie said:

A Coleman Cooler IS an ice chest...

Any ice powered cooler is an ice chest.

Your cooler in a drawer could be a good idea and help to insulate it too.

well with all the informations I got from various post, I will end up at bed tonight, a bit less ignorant !!!
Although I acknowledge I  still have a lot to learn, I realize there's a lot of ways to arrange a van for power purposes.

Can't wait to get my van back from body shop, so I can start building the Inside.

Greetings frenchie and welcome to the forums.

I'll chime in on the van size as I have similar.
My wife and I have a 1/2 ton (1500) Chevy AWD van with regular wheelbase/body...so ~10 ft behind the cab to build. We had to plan carefully as our van's GVWR is 7300lbs/~3300kg. When going out on a typical 5 to 7 day adventure between _shopping_ our rig comes in at about 7000lbs/~3200kg. We are a simple build and really, for a 1/2 ton van, I see no other safe way to build/outfit. My quick lookup on the E150 GVWR shows ~8500lbs/~3800kg.

For instance, in our "simple build" we have the following systems currently in place:
Butane fuel stove (like this one - example link at amazon.co.uk since you are over the pond : )

We use the stove to cook, heat water in a kettle for tea/coffee, and water for mixing 1 to 1 room temp kettle to boiled kettle for shower use.

We also charge one of these jump-start-Power stations when back home, or in a campground (we full time in a big 5th wheel, and go out ~one week a month~ in our van conversion) ... Example link of portable battery/jump station at amazon.co.uk again). I realize it is not ideal, but we've never run out of juice between weekly charges with our use of simply charging our iPads/Tablets/SmartPhones.

-------
All that said... I am currently researching LiPo4 battery technology and portable/folding 120w solar. I honestly can not justify ~100 to 200lbs or more of wet-cell or AGM type batteries in the rig. I'd have to leave one of us at home ; ) . . . or talk my dearly beloved into leaving some of her ~500lbs of gold prospecting gear back home! NOT.

I think the proper way to look at a 1/2 ton build is look at what the Westy/Volkswagon Van crowd is doing and get some ideas for light building.

Take care, and have fun building!
Thom

I think the suggestion of a generator is the simplest. Add a decent battery charger so that you can run it the least amount of time to get the batteries charged up and run your appliances at the same time. (depending on the size of the generator)

The downside to generator charging besides the obvious noise, smell, general hassle is that you can only really do the bulk charging practically. Most batteries require longer sessions at lower amperage's to get fully charged. They need it and it can take all day. Many people find a way to plug in every so often or a small solar panel would be able to provide the lower amps needed to finish the job after you ran the generator.

You can do all of the things you mentioned with solar, batteries and sunshine, you just need lots of each.

accrete said:
Greetings frenchie and welcome to the forums.

For instance, in our "simple build" we have the following systems currently in place:
Butane fuel stove (like this one - example link at amazon.co.uk since you are over the pond : )

We also charge one of these jump-start-Power stations when back home, or in a campground (we full time in a big 5th wheel, and go out ~one week a month~ in our van conversion) ... Example link of portable battery/jump station at amazon.co.uk again).

-------

Take care, and have fun building!
Thom

Accrete, Frenchie isn't 'across the pond' unless you count the Great Lakes as being such.

Amazon.ca works just fine for him, but for the most part he'd be better off using Amazon.com and doing some cross border shopping!