Electric devices you would install in your LOW ROOF van if power wasn't a problem?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noFrontSeat

Reaction score
I'm building a low roof camper van (don't know which model yet) and I'm planning on living in it full time or at least most of the time and I want my life to be as comfy as I could make it. 

I also am an electric engineer in a lithium Ion recycling facility and we get a lot of barely used battery packs, so I've bought over the years about 30kw worth of storage in lithium ion and 2x320w solar panels.
So I thought why don't I stuff my van with electric stuff that would make my life a lot easier on the road. 

So here's what I'm definitely gonna install:

On demand tank-less water heater (to avoid gas and to save space)
Electric stove with 2 burners
Microwave
AC 
heater
Air purifier
Blender/juicer
Electric kettle
USB and 110v plugs, a number of them
TV
Audio system for those lonely nights in parks with no one around to blast music and dance under  the rain

What else would you install if power wasnt an issue?

Yeah, forgot. 
By the way, would it be beneficial to have a freezer? I recon it's more expensive electricity and space wise but maybe if it can save me a week's worth of frozen food then maybe.

A freezer is a wonderful thing but it sounds like to me you will run out of space before you manage to fit much more than you have listed. Maybe pull a small trailer with a portable water tank and some storage. many cleaning services and detailing services do so it wouldn't appear out of place.

There's a really small washing machine I could fit somewhere as well. I feel like it's really worth it. 
I was also thinking about 4 cameras on each side and a direct feed to my tv at a push of a button, for security reasons. Shouldn't be more than 100w an hour for all 4 and the mini server. 

After market extra loud alarm but that's peanuts in energy...

Really struggling to think of anything else, besides personal items like hair dryer, maybe waffle maker, buzzer, photo equipment, e-skate and whatever else. 

If I put a very bright light bar it wouldn't be stealthy and I don't really see a big benefit.

Are you planning on staying in one place as in boondocking or will you intend to travel frequently ? 

I'm sure you have everything necessary to build out your rig in every way.  You'll often hear us speaking of "living out of your rig" which is fine if you are traveling frequently to see the country.  If you are intending to live in your rig that could set different parameters. 

In the first site below, "Van Conversion",  there is a link at the top to a page, "Utility Trailer Conversion"
that considers building some of the amenities you speak of in a small Utility Trailer.  (should you ever consider doing this)  Thus,  you could have a bed, kitchenette, & refrigeration in the Van where you could tour in it for a day or two before returning to the trailer at camp. (where the trailer keeps your space at camp while you're away)

These minimal build Vans work well with "living out of them" where you would belong to Gym's. (like Planet Fitness for example)  So you you have a network of facilities when you travel so that you can shower, recharge your Cell & Laptop etc,  use the WIFI, watch TV, work out with the exercise equipment there, and utilize the Laundromat's that are networked on the web to have clean clothing etc.  Then there are loads of places where food could be obtained inexpensively if you don't want to spend time cooking.

In terms of food when traveling frequently I've found making coffee & a simple breakfast to be the best way to wake up and get the day started. (for me at least)  Then you can eat lunch and dinner out.  In the meanwhile you can purchase at the grocery stores deli items for quick foods that don't require much preparation.   If you are boondocking then you can supply your rig more like you would be living in the sticks & bricks.  But if you wish to do both,  the trailer addition may be worth considering.

As always a healthy motor & transmission in your rig is the heart of it all. Consider checking it out thoroughly before building.  There are companies that will do spectro analysis of your engine oil if you choose to do that.