Here's an insane idea

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tx2sturgis said:
I don't think I'd want to prepare my meals in and around a sink that has been exposed to the airborne particles that land on nearby surfaces during a bathroom 'event'....

But, hey whatever floats your boat....just dont expect me over for dinner.

:cool:
That's actually a really good point if I've got someone else with me. I know my own ability to be sanitary, but I also know the inability of certain people to be sanitary. 

I'm still fiddling with ideas. I really wish I could make things simple for myself, but then I won't have what I want. Im afraid I'll do all the work and then be disappointed with the outcome.

treesprite said:
I'm still fiddling with ideas. I really wish I could make things simple for myself, but then I won't have what I want. Im afraid I'll do all the work and then be disappointed with the outcome.
 I hear ya on that.  I promise tho that whatever you end up with your gonna be very proud of. For all the "could have been betters" in my rig... i love it and your gonna love yours for all it's quirks.

I wish however that i would have kept my mind on building more of a nice"tent" instead of a "house"  on wheels... i would have saved a lot of time and money and would have had fewer unmet expectations.

someone here has a blog called rolling steel tent..(or something like that). and that's exactly what vanlife is about..imHo.
Condos on wheels is hard to get.. well at least on my budget.. and i spent around 10 k on the build itself.. it doesn't buy a house.. but a helluva nice tent :)

treesprite said:
... Im afraid I'll do all the work and then be disappointed with the outcome.
The best van build video I watched was by a guy who was on his 4th build out of the same van. Needs and wants change over time. So don't worry about it, just do what you want and plan to make a few changes later.

Each dweller has their individual priorities. Sounds like you really want plumbing and a stand up shower. We have a member, gitano, who has a full shower in their step van. Apparently it's wonderful. Link to thread.

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=39027

-crofter

lady and her van and 'hideaway shower and toilet'

go to about 7:40 on the video and it shows her set up for bathroom situation.

Thanks for the links and encouragement :)

With my Kia Soul, I kind of compared it to a tent, because it's the size of a medium sized tent inside, just not shaped very well for a "tent". The thing is, when tent camping, I put all kinds of stuff in the tent. Table and chair, cook on an electric burner, camp toilet. Actually, a person could say a tent is like a cloth camper without wheels. I want the convenience of not having to set up/take down a tent, the security of hard walls and locks, the freedom from worrying about the weather, and a way to get people who refuse to sleep in tents to go on camping trips with me.

yea I had some requirements like you listed. just like alot of us. I 'wanted' hard walls and locks, out of weather, sleeping off the ground, just pull into a rest area and sleep, have a ready to go kitchen. How we do want to set up and live out on the road is important, everyone has a list of comforts they desire, and with what little we do have on the road....always make sure what few things you really prioritize as 'required' ya get :)

RoamerRV428 said:

lady and her van and 'hideaway shower and toilet'

go to about 7:40 on the video and it shows her set up for bathroom situation.

That build is just incredible, so cozy and quaint. 

What messes me up the most in having something closer to what I want, is the fact that I need to fit in a second sleep space. One of the issues with just using tents has been that no one will go with me on trips that don't involve hotels, so I need the second bed. It would be a lot easier fitting that second bed in if I had a high top, but I don't and won't any time soon.

treesprite said:
That's actually a really good point if I've got someone else with me. I know my own ability to be sanitary, but I also know the inability of certain people to be sanitary. 

I'm wondering if you might have watched Kramer fixing meals in his bathtub?

(short and funny youtube clip from Seinfeld)   :cool:

I think I'm going to sort of do something in between ideas. It's going to make the van seem more cramped and closed in if I go with my original ideas, and I agree about the sink so I want to keep it separate now. Every time I think I have a layout I'll stick with, other ideas pop into my head.

treesprite said:
...What messes me up the most in having something closer to what I want, is the fact that I need to fit in a second sleep space....
How tall is your camping companion?

I have seen rigs where the front seats are made into a cozy bed. For an average height person, this could work. In my case, the Promaster has 20 inch by 75 inch space in the cab: you lay in a piece of plywood across the seats and put a foam mattress on top. Voila! Another bed, complete with radio, reading light, and all the other comforts of the cab.

For the board, you could repurpose your folding table.

There is also the idea of a hammock, but not sure van walls would support it. Anyone doing this?
-crofter

crofter said:
How tall is your camping companion?

I have seen rigs where the front seats are made into a cozy bed. For an average height person, this could work. In my case, the Promaster has 20 inch by 75 inch space in the cab: you lay in a piece of plywood across the seats and put a foam mattress on top. Voila! Another bed, complete with radio, reading light, and all the other comforts of the cab....
Or if you prefer a double bunk, there is this setup, link to cabbunk demo.
-crofter

crofter said:
Or if you prefer a double bunk, there is this setup, link to cabbunk demo.
-crofter

Here is the DIY version of that, be sure to mount at the strong points as the walls support this one. 

I like the idea of the cabbunk more, looking forward to afternoon naps in the warm solar heated cab.
-crofter

One of the people who may be along infrequently, is a very short, very round-shaped, senior aged developmentally disabled woman I take care of, who will not sleep on anything that doesn't resemble a real bed. The first time she camped in a tent with me, I had bought a really expensive cot just so she could sleep on it for one night - she refused to sleep on it, slept on a mat on the ground. The last time she went tent camping with me, I bought an airbed for her just to use for 2 nights - that was a nightmare I never want to re-live. We have rented a campground-owned trailer many times at this one place I go, and she had no problem with those beds, liked that they were not as high as home beds (those trailers were destroyed in a major snow event). We have issues in hotels because the beds are always the really high ones that she can't even get into on her own. So, she needs a bed that reasonably looks like a normal bed and that doesn't require climbing over or around anything. The bathroom issue is irrelevant with her along, she needs regular toilets therefore is limited to campgrounds with restrooms.

Well don't let that defeat you, after all you have a van to build out. I am sure you will think of the solution.
-crofter

Per your original thoughts, feng shui embodies the energy, flow, and visual space in living spaces. I also dislike bathroom stalls built inside vans. Before I found my first rig, my first build-out plan was to install a 5’ shower pan across the back of the van, install a toilet on top of the shower pan, and use cheap shower curtains to close off the space when in use and pull the curtains to the side when not in use. I was going to build an elevator bed in the same space, anticipating it not to be possible to use the bed and the bathroom at the same time.

Then I bought George. My ‘92 GMC’s short wheelbase (110”) completely got by me for months and the fiberglass roof is rather a low one. Also, there’s cabinetry taking up all the headroom at the back where I originally planned the bathroom set up and it’s not obvious how to remove the cabinetry without destroying the lovely existing upholstery.

Eventually I decided my build-out would be inspired by a gypsy vardo, keeping the bed widthwise across the back. Because of the lack of space, I’m going to eventually set up my toilet on a drawer that will pull out from under the bed or possibly a small bench, keeping the visual space as open as I can. George has some nice picture windows curtained with lush, brown velvet. It would be a shame to block them.

Back to your point, I totally get where you’re coming from. I hope I gave you some ideas and philosophy to arrive at your own solutions. Do you want to have your kitchen counter cover your wall? Or are you just trying to make a bathroom? Do you need that level of privacy within your van? How often will you be accompanied inside? How conventional does it have to be for your comfort level?

P.S. The best bathroom build I’ve seen was in a van featured in a YouTube video. The guy had it built inside what looked like a kitchen counter, but the sides unfolded upwards and outwards snd locked into place. I’m not sure I’ll be able to find that video again, but I’ll look for it later.

^^^The collapsible travel trailers had a folding bathroom

Lorelei072
P.S. The best bathroom build I’ve seen was in a van featured in a YouTube video. The guy had it built inside what looked like a kitchen counter, but the sides unfolded upwards and outwards snd locked into place. I’m not sure I’ll be able to find that video again, but I’ll look for it later.
Here is the video you are looking for Lorelei. It is one of Dee's videos

Latest posts