Here's an insane idea

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesprite

Reaction score
I was feeling sick from vaccination side effects when I came up with this, so forgive me if it really does seem insane.

First point is that I really feel having a bathroom space is a priority, but I don't like that it will make the inside of the van feel any smaller than it has to feel.

Second point is that I want to figure out how to make the water/sink shared between kitchen and bathroom while still having the bathroom be a separate space.

I was trying to figure out some way to have all of that. Then, in my post covid vaccination fever, I came up with the notion of having a kitchen counter that flips up to create a side wall, and has a hole in it so that when it flips up, the sink will be on the bathroom side. 

The length of the bathroom space being 30”, means the flip up counter would be longer than the distance from the counter top to the ceiling in my non-high-top van, so the far end has to have a hinged part. So then when the counter flips up, it would be attach at ceiling height where the hinge is and that end will just be a flap there. I would angle the cabinet base under the sink, so it would take up as much space as just a straight cabinet side.

Here's a very roughly drawn, not-to-scale feverish depiction of the idea (attachment)

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]IMG_20210110_232319552~2.jpg[/font]

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_232319552~2.jpg
    IMG_20210110_232319552~2.jpg
    926.5 KB · Views: 37
Then the questions are, what would I put below the counter to hide the space, and what would I do for a front wall/door? I'm not sure about the first question. The second question answer, is that I would probably either have to go simple with a curtain, or go more complicated and make a wall that hinges out from the wall on the opposite side (the non-flip wall that doesn't convert from a counter).

Sofisintown said:
Yeah, that's not a novel idea. Here's how they do it in small RVs

I didn't see anything like it on that page. It was a very long page, but I looked all the way to the end of the scrolling.

This counter isn't just flipping to the side or away, it goes up to the ceiling to make an entire wall. I'll have to draw some pictures. I was doing that when I was sick, so I didn't do a set showing the different positions. I've looked at lots of unique examples of van bathrooms , haven't seen this so far (I'm sure it exists somewhere).

Since you are talking crazy ideas, why not make the whole wall and counter slide front to back, maybe on drawer slides. That way when you are in the bathroom you can pick up 30” and when you are in the kitchen you slide it back to gain 30”. All you really need to do is make sure any permanent fixtures have space to fit inside the cabinet when slid over them. Insulation foam covered with Titebond III glue and canvas then painted with exterior house paint makes a light weight waterproof insulated wall.

I use a bucket and hand sanitizer, no need for a sink. I also carry wipes designed for bathing if needed.
-crofter

I feel like you also.. in wanting a " bathroom".. i tested a few different approaches.. spending more time and money than i should have. I found a really cheap 3x3 shower stall that i would have cut down to fit my non high top rig...i would still do it if i could find a good price.

I now have a dog pool with a bucket o water and a sponge and it works great... and folds away easily.

I will get a shower tent for when out thin the wilds but if in town or something it is nice to be able to shower at your convenience.
here is a video that maybe you will like.. the bathroom starts at 10 minutes... i thought it was pretty cool but more work than i wanted and didn't meet all my needs...  

there is no doubt that simpler is better... keep us updated with what you decide.... 
so many people have this question... and i think a large number go the dog pool or a bin of sorts and a sponge route.

I guess I’m confused a little bit. You’re talking about a separate bathroom and kitchen with actual plumbing, right? So you’re going to have to work out the drains tanks and all of that too. I just got my pop-up tent shower and when I’m in one place for a long time to potty chair is going to be in there. I bought the 4 x 4 because I’m a big guy many of them are 3 x 3. Since I’m in the hospital I haven’t even got to set the thing up yet. I did buy the battery powered handheld shower that you put the pump in the water bucket. It will work great in Florida where I’m at now no one‘s gonna mind my water exiting into the soil of the pasture. There are many places where it is not appropriate to even have gray water flowing on the ground. I have seen several build outs where they actually had a urinal attached to a hose that went under the van and when they’re going down the road it would fly wherever and when parked on the curb it would run wherever, totally unacceptable! but people are doing it and promoting it on the net And even if I use the tent as a restroom it is still going to be number two in a plastic bag and number one in the jug and just like when it’s done in the van disposed of properly.

The sink and water tanks would be the same for both modes, both the kitchen mode and the bathroom mode of the wall/counter piece. The counter/wall piece would have a hole so when it's down, it won't cover the sink. When it's up like a wall, there will be a big hole, which can be solved by having a hinged-on sink cover which will cover the hole in wall mode.

I want to have a space where I don't have to worry about water slopping all over. A hand sprayer type of kitchen faucet would be nice, but even just a something I can pour water over my head with would be good. They key point is that I don't want to have to worry about getting stuff wet that shouldn't get wet. In my Kia Soul I have a faucet water jug and a bowl, I was able to wash up with that, except for my hair, to the extent that I was able to not get water on stuff (I did get a little water on the painted wood floor I put in the car after removing the seats - it's indoor/outdoor paint, so was okay).

Here's another bad drawing, completely not to scale even when comparing one drawing to the next, showing in both modes.

IMG_20210112_203605910~2.jpg

The ceiling, once insulation is in, will only be at most 50" high. The counter top will be about 26" high, so the distance to the ceiling would be roughly 24". The bathroom length planned is 30", so in order to have the counter/wall piece the right length for both modes, the last 6" will be hinged on and just become a flap when in bathroom wall mode.

I'm not very tall, so I'm still able to stand most of the way up in the van, certainly enough to change clothes and wash my whole self while standing, and wash my kind of long, unmanageable hair. I really need to be able to wash my hair because it gets wild, especially after a campfire.

Attachments

• IMG_20210112_203605910~2.jpg
    IMG_20210112_203605910~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
treesprite said:
Here's another bad drawing, completely not to scale even when comparing one drawing to the next, showing in both modes.

The ceiling, once insulation is in, will only be at most 50" high. The counter top will be about 26" high, so the distance to the ceiling would be roughly 24". The bathroom length planned is 30", so in order to have the counter/wall piece the right length for both modes, the last 6" will be hinged on and just become a flap when in bathroom wall mode.

I'm not very tall, so I'm still able to stand most of the way up in the van, certainly enough to change clothes and wash my whole self while standing, and wash my kind of long, unmanageable hair. I really need to be able to wash my hair because it gets wild, especially after a campfire.
If you get a taller van, like a cargo van, you will be able to stand up. I have about 64 inches in a standard Promaster. 

You may find that is easier to wash your hair in a basin & takes less water. Basin bath is done seated.
-crofter

No one needs to tell me about having a high top. Why would anyone buy a low top van for a camper if they had the means to buy a van with a higher top? Sure as heck not me.

Oh, I see from your other thread that you have a 1996 Ford e150 van that you are building out. Is it a window van?
-crofter

It's a regular cargo van, doesn't have all the windows. This is, I guess, my "starter van". I'll have plenty of time to get experience before having and putting the money into one that is more like what I really wanted. At least I hope that happens, before I retire.

I get what you are trying to do. You want your bathroom sink to be your kitchen sink when you put down your countertop. Shared sink. When you lift up the countertop you now have a 'wall' up to the ceiling to be a 'wet bath' I assume and have space to wash up a bit.

yea I can see you doing just that :) :)

1 sink....2 uses in 2 spaces. I think you could easily do that. When down you cover the shower 'area' with counterspac for cooking use or whatever, when in 'up position' you have wall to make a standing bathroom space for washing down.

heck I say go for it. Just take your time in planning and I do easily see it working for you.....use of 2 spaces like this, 1 sink, could be a fun experiment and planning stage for you.....go all in and make it work :)

I don't think I'd want to prepare my meals in and around a sink that has been exposed to the airborne particles that land on nearby surfaces during a bathroom 'event'....

But, hey whatever floats your boat....just dont expect me over for dinner.

:cool:

don't let usual germaphobes stop ya :)

geez, with what is going on around us every minute of every day in life, like your own bathroom is gonna take ya down....ugh....but of course your cleaning up a bit regimen should be on point HA

Latest posts