Here comes another "old newbie"...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy y'all.
Been reading your blogs, websites, and now this forum, and have envied your lifestyle for a Couple of months (or a couple decades, how ever you want to look at it).
I am a 53 year old artist who lives in the ozark mountains in n.w. Arkansas. I spent a few years van dwelling in my 20's and it was some of the best years of my life. I have had several interesting occupations through out my life, and have been blessed and happy doing each and every one of them. I also spent a couple more years "part time" van dwelling" while traveling, doing shows, and selling my artwork. I have 3 children, one is twenty and out of the house, one just turned 15 years old, and one inherited 9 year old who belongs to my wonderful fiancée. We have an unoccupied home to finish and sell, and two children to get started in college, and I am starting my preparations for rv living again.
I am torn between a class C and class B. And would love to hear your experienced opinions (especially from anyone who has had BOTH)
I lean toward a large class B +, but it seems like it might be impossibly tight for 2 people for an extended amount of time. I REALLY REALLY want to be able to park in a normal parking space, as that is a huge benefit to me as far as sales of my work (in little tourist towns), and life in general.. As mentioned earlier, I did live in a van with a partner (AND two st. Bernard's!) For a couple years, but I was twenty then, and I want a bit more comfort and elbow room now.. I guess I just need to work it out, but any suggestions/comparisons would be appreciated...
Sorry to be so wordy.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Scott!

I've lived in a couple of different vans and a VW bus in my younger years. Most recently, I chose what I had always wanted, a Class C. I lived in that for two years. I loved the class C for it's amenities and comfort. But found it very limiting when it came to the places I wanted to go. And it was too much responsibility. All the systems: plumbing, propane, and electrical required maintenance and repairs that I had no interest in doing myself or paying someone else. YMMV

I'm shopping for another van, now.

Anyways, to help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum Scottbaldassari!

For traveling with my husband, we settled on a 20' Class C. It fits in a regular parking space, albeit very tightly. We tried a full-size van, teardrop trailer, and a Boler "egg" trailer before we found a good fit in the Class C. It provides the amenities (and responsibilities) of all of the typical RV systems (2-way fridge, fresh/grey/black tanks, stove/oven, microwave, small bathroom/shower, etc.). It's big enough that we can comfortably take our dog and senagal parrot with us. It's also big enough that we can both retreat to our own spaces when we want to. We don't live in it full-time; but, I think we could.

DriverFront.jpg

InsideFront2Back.jpg

Suanne ... who travels solo in her Prius

cyndi said:
But found it very limiting when it came to the places I wanted to go.
I'm shopping for another van, now.

Thanks for your reply Cyndi!
How was the Class C size limiting? Was it just for parking, or were there other reasons? Can you think of an example besides parking?
I'm really worried my wife would feel to restrained in a van, and want her to have the best experience possible, so that we continue this lifestyle. We have a conversion Van now, and spend the weekends in it, sometimes with the kids, and sometimes without (and LOVE it). But, it seems like an extended amount of time would be really tough. With two people in a Road trek for example, you cant even pass each other in the "hall". We spend most of the time outside, but I think would be really claustrophobic stuck in a 3 day rainstorm in a unit like that. I remember getting caught camping in the rain a few times in the past in a van, and it gets pretty claustrophobic pretty quickly even with ONE person...
Even the smallest Class C's feels SO much larger than a Van. On the other hand, I know how great a van is for getting around/parking/handling etc.., I've owned no less than 6 or 8 in my life. LOVED them all! I guess its just the fear of the unkown...
Have you got to the point of finding a van your interested in? Any thoughts on the Sprinter/ProMaster Chassis's?

Scott,
Since you have some time, I can highly recommend TransVans as mobile living unit, just have to find them at the right price for you. I posted a link to one here in San Diego, it will take lots of work, but rewards could be great.

One thing about the one I posted I don't like is the rear entrance, mine has a side entrance which is nicer if you can find one with it.

In you plans, do envision having a towed? I would highly recommend putting one in your plans, makes life much nicer on the road.

Corky

Suanne said:
For traveling with my husband, we settled on a 20' Class C. ...
It provides the amenities (and responsibilities) of all of the typical RV systems (2-way fridge, fresh/grey/black tanks, stove/oven, microwave, small bathroom/shower, etc.). ...
It's also big enough that we can both retreat to our own spaces when we want to. We don't live in it full-time; but, I think we could.

Wow, nice unit, thanks for the pictures.
Thats actually exactly the type of unit I'm looking for... Seen a few nice ones at 24', but not finding many less than that. 20' would be great! Does that say "adventurer" across the top? A quick google search only brought up 38 footers made by Winnebago...
Whatever I end up with, it will have all the RV systems, so I'm not too worried about the "responsibility" factor too much. It IS nice however, that all the systems in the SMALLEST class C's are nearly twice as accommodating as the LARGEST class B's (water tanks, refer sizes, shower sizes etc). I plan to do some boon-docking, so some of these tiny water tanks and fridges are not very appealing....

corky52 said:
Scott,
Since you have some time, I can highly recommend TransVans as mobile living unit, ...
In you plans, do envision having a towed? I would highly recommend putting one in your plans, makes life much nicer on the road.

Corky

Thanks Corky, Ill check on one of those. Don't believe I've ever seen one. And yes, I do have LOTS of time, but we plan on replacing our conversion Van in the next year or two, with a "mobile living unit". We can use that for weekending and holidays with the kids either tent camping or with a little pop up or something, before we get serious. We do some tent camping with the conversion van now...

"practice makes perfect" :)

Suanne said:
Yes. It's an '01 Adventurer by Slumber Queen.

Suanne

Really nice rig! Looks like the perfect size. I bet you could live rather comfortably in that! (for awhile anyway)

Scottbaldassari said:
How was the Class C size limiting? Was it just for parking, or were there other reasons? Can you think of an example besides parking?
Have you got to the point of finding a van your interested in? Any thoughts on the Sprinter/ProMaster Chassis's?

Scott, I prefer to travel secondary roads. I've had difficulties finding a gas station that can handle a moho in small towns. Also, I wasn't always able to get as far back off the beaten path as I wanted to.

I summer in New England and the windy, narrow roads feel pretty hairy, even in my 26 footer.

I'm on a pretty strict budget. A sprinter definitely doesn't fit in. I have my eye on one, now. Familial issues are keeping me in New England for the winter and I'm not sure if I want to buy something now only to have it sit through the winter.

Thanks Cyndi. I've never owned one, plan to drive one this weekend, but not sure Ill be able stand it. I can barely stand the Promaster/Sprinter Chassis (feels like Im driving a bread truck :) ) I just Love Vans, but it just feels like it would be impossible to cram everything I need in one that was furnished with RV systems.... Its all give and take, maybe Ill need to tow a little utility trailer (which is what I've done in the past, but I am really hoping to avoid that. Like the freedom of one vehicle...
Thanks again....