Help with House Battery

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boostking13

Reaction score
Hey guys, So my other half and I went to the local hardware store (menards, the only place we have unfortunately) and looked at batteries and an inverter that would fit our $130 budget. 

We ended up buying an FVP brand marine battery. The guy at the store told me RC and AH are the same thing ( did some research and found out he was wrong) and that this battery will suit our needs. 

also hard wired in a little 140w inverter to the house battery.

here is the crude temp setup.

IMG_20190523_210535.jpg

Will this battery be okay?

Also I installed a solenoid that I didnt know if it was the correct one, had it laying around and looks like most CDS but had no numbers or lettering on it. Just 2 bigger connections and 2 small wires coming off the side. So I went ahead and installed it. Ran a wire from the starting battery positive, with a 60amp fuse to one of the terminals on the solenoid. Then ran a wire on the other terminal to my house battery positive. I grounded the small wire (green from solenoid) and ran the other (yellow) one to an aux fuse under the hood.

IMG_20190523_193719.jpg
IMG_20190523_193743.jpg
IMG_20190523_193749.jpg

Its hard to tell if its charging because we haven't been driving around too much.

We probably should have done a little more research before going ahead and doing it, but I was eager and had the parts and this is our only option of living right now.

We need all the constructive criticism we can get, so bring it on  :D

Attachments

• IMG_20190523_210535.jpg
    IMG_20190523_210535.jpg
    1.2 MB
  • IMG_20190523_193719.jpg
    IMG_20190523_193719.jpg
    775 KB
  • IMG_20190523_193743.jpg
    IMG_20190523_193743.jpg
    908.2 KB
  • IMG_20190523_193749.jpg
    IMG_20190523_193749.jpg
    934.4 KB
you need to clean that wiring up. wires rubbing on anything is not good and I see a couple spots were it's rubbing on sharp objects. that connection on the solenoid, talk about ugly. you need the proper terminals on all your wire.

I hard to tell but you need large size charging wires on the house battery I don't see a large negative. it also appears the are no terminals on the battery wires..

does that inverter have a off/on switch, if not it needs one when not in use.

I hope you realize that it takes many hours of highway diving to recharge a depleted house battery. like 5-8 hours at highway speed. idling doesn't cut it.

sorry but you asked for constructive criticism.

highdesertranger

While I agree with all of the good and valid comments by highdesertranger, I will also say; that you are off to a good start - especially considering a very limited budget, and possibly limited knowledge or experience.

It very much seems to me that you do indeed have a system that is able to charge the house battery when you drive the vehicle.

Next on your list of good things to do, would probably be some kind of voltage meter/indicator.
Knowing the voltage of your battery is a good start for learning how to 'maintain/use/not use' you new battery. It is not the optimal method, but a cheap multimeter (voltage and ampere measuring device) will get you started.

Better terminals should be high on your list of what to do next.
At times, where I would not have an option to get proper terminals, I have used plumbers copper pipe, that I would clean, saw, beat, drill and polish into submission, and make high copper content connectors/terminal solutions with.

Without good connections/terminals, there is a increased risk of things (especially over time) getting warmer/hotter than what is good.

But for now, to get confirmation that your system is working, I think that your wiring is okay.

Besides what everyone else said in here, one good sudden sharp turn and you will have a battery sliding around leaking acid everywhere and possibly shortening out creating all kinds of fun. Need to anchor that battery down somehow.

Yes, Its very ugly. But I used what I had and did it in the 40 degree rain.

so first thing i will do is get it mounted.

then ill run bigger cable with better connections. Im also upgrading to a 500 w inverter soon. Also found a place where my gf works where I can hook my trickle charger up for the night, so that will be helpful.

thanks for the response guys and sorry about the link.

What are you running with the inverter?

Currently just using the inverter for my laptop , lights, vape charger and when I get a fan. Hoping to get a electric cooler as well.

Well I upgraded my system to a 170 rc battery, so about 70ah if im correct?

IMG_20190526_002836.jpg

A;so upgraded to a 500w inverter.

IMG_20190526_002938.jpg
IMG_20190526_002902.jpg

Then I strapped the battery to the passenger seat for now until I get things where I want. I didnt hook it up to the starting battey because my girlfriend has a job at night where we can charge it. Im using a 2 amp stanley charger. That way I can save money for solar instead of buying the cable and connectors and the solenoid.

like I said were living in the van while building it, So its not as clean as it will be sooner or later things will come together and get tidy and neat along the way.

Attachments

• IMG_20190526_002836.jpg
    IMG_20190526_002836.jpg
    253 KB
  • IMG_20190526_002902.jpg
    IMG_20190526_002902.jpg
    223.1 KB
  • IMG_20190526_002938.jpg
    IMG_20190526_002938.jpg
    223.1 KB
Boostking13 said:
Currently just using the inverter for my laptop , lights, vape charger and when I get a fan. Hoping to get a electric cooler as well.

I run my laptop, lights, fans and charge my phone off the house battery. I use the inverter (rarely) if I want to charge my tool batteries, run a vacuum cleaner or that $3 coffee grinder I bough at a thrift store.

yes try to run everything you can off of 12v. 12v fans are available, as is a charger for your lap top. 12v lights are readily available, and doesn't your vape charge off of a USB? add an USB outlet or 2. you can charge your phones off of that too. highdesertranger

How can I run my laptop off 12v? Do they make a conversion kit or something?

Next we really need a roof fan because it's starting to get really toasty in here even in shade and the windows down.

Boostking13 said:
How can I run my laptop off 12v? Do they make a conversion kit or something?

Look for a car charger for your specific laptop on Amazon or Ebay or where it is that you look for stuff.   I've been buying mine from Amazon & they are not expensive.

One end should plug into the 12v receptacle and the other into your laptop.

A 2 amp trickle charger will only replace 20 amps in a 10 hour period not accounting for losses. You're gearing up to remove power from the battery but not for replacing it.

"Next we really need a roof fan because it's starting to get really toasty in here even in shade and the windows down."

I stay away from the the roof vents (I got 3 on my roof) they are useless in a hot van. And unless you do a perfect job, after a few years they start leaking when it rains. Nothing worst then water inside your van. 

Instead use side vents, they are easy to cut with a cordless jigsaw (30 dollars harbor freight), the slotted vents you can buy at home depot for less then 5 dollars. As far as fans use 120mm case fans, they move alot of air for about 1 amp. With your current battery you need to keep the power use to the minimum. You can run a couple of case fans. A roof vent might use 4 amps and cost upwards of 100 dollars.

Inside your van you can use flexible ducting to move the air where you need it. Keeping cool for less then 3 amps is what you need to aim for. 

"Well I upgraded my system to a 170 rc battery, so about 70ah if im correct?"
thats correct according to the specs. Just try not go below 12.1 volts on a daily basis, thats the 50 percent rule. If you go below 11 volts a couple of times and that will start affecting the battery capacity. Only the heavy golf cart lead acids can handle that kind of abuse. Batteries rated in reserve capacity RC are more closely related to start batteries then to deep cycle.  

picture of side vents
side vents.jpg

battery SOC
batt  soc.jpg

Attachments

• side vents.jpg
    side vents.jpg
    92.9 KB
  • batt  soc.jpg
    batt soc.jpg
    30.7 KB
I wouldn't be without my roof vent fan. No way would I remove all that good storage space for a little ventilation. Leave all the windows closed except the one you are sitting by. Sounds counterintuitive but works well. The strong breeze is coming through that window right over you and not a small breeze spread throughout the van

another option is one I use. don't sit in your vehicle during the day. it's a great big beautiful world out there, get out and enjoy it. highdesertranger

Thanks a bunch for the input everyone. 

Jonyjoe thank you for that chart, I've been trying not to use much of this battery as much as I can. The 2 amp I already had. So just a regular battery charger will do? 

Also I think the roof fan would be just overall better for us. I will probably be upgraded to double the battery power by then.

I've been wondering where I should mount it?I'm thinking more twards the rear. Because I have a side slide door that I can pop out which would make for a good place for fresh air to come in. Plus I'm putting solar in as well.

Hoping to get this thing complete this summer. 

Yes high desert ranger that's the whole point of this lifestyle right lol. My gf works nights right now so she sleeps in the mornings and I do too when I don't work. Soon we will be able to roam.

Luckily I've stumbled across this forum and tons of YouTube videos for ideas and suggestions.

^^^ HDR's option is the best. You should be able to do outside what you are doing inside unless it's sleeping. When the nights are pleasant, I run the fan and have the window by my head open. The fan has a thermostat on it so it turns off when the night gets cool enough. Mostly with pleasant days comes cold nights though.

I have a Maxxfan that has 10 speed settings (11 if you count off). I did some testing and this was the power draw on all 10 settings:

10% - 5.8 watts
20% - 10.2 watts
30% - 19.1 watts
40% - 32.3 watts
50% - 49.2 watts
60% - 58.5 watts
70% - 69.7 watts
80% - 95.1 watts
90% - 124.3 watts
100% - 155.3 watts

Note: 12 watts is approximately 1 amp

Latest posts