Women Only Help with Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindyB

Reaction score
Hello!  I am a newbie single woman who is looking to build-out a campervan in the future.  However, I don't have anyone to help me, and I'm pretty sure I will need at least one extra set of hands.  If I brought the van and the materials with me, are there people at the RTR or WRTR who help with this sort of thing?  An entire build-out?  Or are there other places I can go to get inexpensive help?

You could maybe check for a local 'Maker space'.
These usually have a tool library and a couple resident nerds who know how to use them.
Most have a membership fee. Some are like a coop and require members to put in a minimum volunteer time each month.
Perhaps you could find some helping hands that way?

LindyB said:
Hello!  I am a newbie single woman who is looking to build-out a campervan in the future.  However, I don't have anyone to help me, and I'm pretty sure I will need at least one extra set of hands.  If I brought the van and the materials with me, are there people at the RTR or WRTR who help with this sort of thing?  An entire build-out?  Or are there other places I can go to get inexpensive help?

Yes.

There is also Jamie's van build, and someone has started another build. Jamie has started to charge. Someone is stepping up to the plate with a free van build. 

Checkout the Facebook group NomadsHelpingNomads.

Start out with a no build build using repurposed furniture. Then you can build what you need as you go along. No need to over complicate things.

Van build on Plomosa Road in Quartzsite Feb 2-15
FREE FREE

A few items accommplished at a time also works. The primary issue with doing major builds, especially in desert areas such as Quartzsite, is getting hold of the materials that are needed.

maki2 said:
A few items accommplished at a time also works.  The primary issue with doing major builds, especially in desert areas such as Quartzsite, is getting hold of the materials that are needed.

Getting the materials is not the problem.  I can buy the vast majority of them here (Ohio) and then drive them to wherever I could do the actual build-out.  It's more about getting that second set of hands.  For example, one person to hold the paneling while the other does the drilling.

shadowmoss said:
Start out with a no build build using repurposed furniture.  Then you can build what you need as you go along.  No need to over complicate things.

I'm hoping to use repurposed furniture.  As I look around the house, I keep saying to myself ... "oooh, I can use that in the van, and oooh, I can use that!"  lol  I already have a couple of small bookcases (to use for plastic tubs), a set or two of drawers, and even countertops.  I won't have to put too much money into that kind of stuff.

I'm a 60 year old at the end of my build. I have gotten alot of my materials from Craigslist free site. I get pallets from all over. You'd be surprised at what people throw away REALLY! If your ever in so Illinois I have every tool imaginable stop by your more than welcome to use my tools and pic my brain.i live on a farm about 1 mile from a small town. Happy trails.

Doug,

Your post didn't show up, because it is in the Women's Forum. Termite's post caught my eye, too, because she is in Illinois.

Termite, We are in Illinois, as well. Not that I can help with a build. Just letting you know. I'm in central Illinois. Doug is near Chicago.

I moved here from southern Illinois five years ago.

You do not need a second human to put up paneling. You drill a hole along the edge of the panel, put the fastener in, then move on to the next hole location. Work methodically to keep the panel aligned. If you are putting up ceiling panels you can use spring tension bars or boards to hold the panel against the ceiling wth fhe floor being the 2nd surface the bars push against. The spring bars are just left in place until you get a few fasteners put in.

Take your time .you CAN do it.Belive in yourself. If you do it wrong at least you tried. And you learned something. Win/win.

I've been getting wonderful stuff from craigslist too. I found a gorgeous antique wine cabinet I'm going to use as a wardrobe and then a matching antique credenza, months later, that is the perfect size for a kitchen counter, with drawers and cabinets underneath. One cabinet will house the water bottles and have a sink above. The other cabinet will house the propane and have a stove above. I just have to cut it to put a sink in and cut the back to go over the wheel well. I'll still bolt them into the floor and wall furring strips. I don't know why anyone builds them from scratch when you can get real hardwood cabinetry at a steal on CL. (Though I may find out when I go to build it. lol. I have to finish the floor first.)

Attachments

• VanKitchen.png
    VanKitchen.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2