Help with basic/simple 12 water pump for outdoor shower needed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krenov72

Reaction score
Hello everyone.. short version... back story can be found in the new comers corner if you wish.im using a delapidated class a for shelter... most things work, but it's parked and I'm suspect of the wiring and haven't checked the propane system.. so I'm not using anything. I have shore power. I'm planning on gutting everything useful for a cargo trailer build , but for now, I just want to take out the water pump (12 v) and use it for my outdoor shower. There are 2 house batteries..  I think they are just automotive batteries.. I'll check in the daylight. I have a trickle charger. I want to set up the pump and batteries outside for my shower . Advice on a basic set up.. I'm assuming a fuse and a switch. I'm a cabinetmaker, but no electrician, although I can change a light fixture or wire a plug haha. Advice on a simple set up would be appreciated. This is a temporary setup, but I might want to add hot water on demand. For now I will be heating water on a burner, or by the sun( fall is here.. so probably a burner mostly).. and the pump would have to draw from a basin I add hot water to.. thanks if you can help.any questions or more info needed.. please ask. I will list the battery specs, and pump specs tomorrow.

The typical RV freshwater pump has a flow rate and pressure that are much more than you need for a portable, temporary shower. It can be done but it will also go thru a LOT of water very quickly unless you can wire in a foot switch or some other arrangement to 'regulate' your use.

I would look into using a windshield wiper fluid pump or a spray bottle, tank sprayer, or squeeze bottle, something that is easier to control and will use less water.

The battery powered showers are an idea, but the one I tried was very inconvenient since the switch is submerged in the bucket...

What you use connected to external water supply is radically different from boondocking

Bucket of warm water.................Battery/switch/Pump w/shower head........Let the pump run

Drop the shower head into the bucket between washing/rinsing/waiting

I was thinking the pressure might be too much... but I'm parked with access to water and power.. I really I will buy a hotwater on demand with a pump, but temporarily it's 300 I don't have to spend. I do have a pump and working batteries...