HELP!! Old chevy G20 problems

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vandog989

Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a 1984 Chevy G20 with a 305 I did a tune up today plugs wires rotor cap air filter. Pulled one of the plugs out and it was missing a tip so the motor was running on 7 cylinders but at least it ran 55-65 the whole way home. Now I put new plugs in ect and it doesn't want to go faster than 45 mph. I checked vacuum lines and they are all good. Any reason why this thing would run worse on 8 cylinders than 7? It just has no power when I hit 45 mph like I can floor it and I get nothing. Then when I come to a stop sign or slow down it wants to stall any ideas?

2010-01-24_020841_firing_order.gif

Mr.LooRead said:

Yes! Either that or maybe you somehow retarded the timing on the distributor when you switched out the cap and rotor. Also check that the cap is fully seated onto the distributor. Sometimes they don't seat fully onto the distributor when you change them. IIRC, the screw hold downs can still clamp down the cap without it being fully seated which also would be a problem. Those hei ignition/distributors are near bullet proof but they do go bad from time to time.

Your problem may be unrelated to the tune up- it happens. Your pcv may have gotten bumped and now isn't working right. That can cause terrible running issues. Is the grommet for the pcv not sealing? The pcv hose may be old and cracked and now has a leak or some other vacuum line may have a crack you don't see. Spraying some propane around the areas that can develop vacuum leaks will tell you if you have any. Did you drop something in the carb with the air filter off? Did you change the breather filter? If that is plugged up or the hose not attached, that can cause issues as well. Did your choke linkage come loose or get stuck and it is now flooding out? Lots of things could cause the problems you describe; hope this gives you some ideas.

along with whats been said if your vehicle ran good on 7 it might of been tune to do so,so when you fixed things you will have to set timing and air fuel,but start at the beginning with wires(sometimes those spark plug wires are hard to get fully on the spark plug),vacuum hoses and such

yep sounds like you crossed wires. you should be able to check with the diagram that was posted. just out of curiosity, is number one in the correct location? highdesertranger

Canine said:
I have that very same pair of spark plug wire pliers. What a great tool!

I have 15 boxes and bags of "great tools"!

I need a bigger van.

Hey guys thanks for all the replies it turned out to be the dang fuel filter after I swapped it out I was able to get the van to go 70 mph. Still had some hesitation so I pulled the new filter and it was full of rust!!!. So now I think its time to replace the gas tank :( after that I think this bad boy will be good to go.

Vandog989 said:
Hey guys thanks for all the replies it turned out to be the dang fuel filter after I swapped it out I was able to get the van to go 70 mph. Still had some hesitation so I pulled the new filter and it was full of rust!!!. So now I think its time to replace the gas tank :( after that I think this bad boy will be good to go.

Keep a couple on hand, you might just have a small amount and clear up with a couple changes. 

Cheaper than a tank and swap. 

Good deal, glad your running again. 

Mike R