Help me choose a 4 Season Tent

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaidaBoy

Reaction score
Hi All,
Need your help in choosing a 4 season tent.
Will be living out of my Cherokee and until a suitable replacement vehicle is found, I need a  quality 4 Season 6 PersonTent.
Easy, one person set up is crucial, as is quality. Don't want Rooftop or SUV tents, just want a good Ground Tent that will stand up to winter camping.
So far, I have been looking at Tentipi (BIG $), & Kodiak Canvas (around $600).
If anybody knows of any other choices that have easy setup, standing room and are big enough for at least 6, please me/us know.
Thanks and Happy Motoring!

Meh, in my backpacking days I used my plain ole cheap three-season tent right through the winter. It's the sleeping bag that kept me warm, not the tent.

A used 5x10 cargo trailer for $1000 with some insulation with a cot and a 3" closed cell foam pad would be my choice for winter camping vs. living on frozen ground.

x2 on the cargo trailer but if you dead set on a tent, Wagoneer suggestion of a wall tent with wood burning stove is what I would do. also Cabela's Alaskan Guide Series tents are good. I believe they can take a wood stove too. highdesertranger

lenny flank said:
Meh, in my backpacking days I used my plain ole cheap three-season tent right through the winter. It's the sleeping bag that kept me warm, not the tent.

Thanks for the suggestion but no more ruffing it for me. Being a Senior on Disability, there is only relative comfort in my future. :)

A 3 season Coleman that I had held up great to snow and is fairly cheap. They also have the fast pitch ones which are easy. I know not a 4 season as it says but it works just as good as one if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacks18614 said:
A used 5x10 cargo trailer for $1000 with some insulation with a cot and a 3" closed cell foam pad would be my choice for winter camping vs. living on frozen ground.

Tried the Cargo Trailer last year... a 6x10. Not my cup of tea. 
Gosh! Hopefully I won't be camping only on frozen ground!  :)

Ken in Anaheim said:
Everyone I know who has owned one swears by the Kodiak Flex-bow. Easy 1 man set-up. They can withstnd high winds so well that they're ALMOST the "official Burning Man" tent.
Best prices are here : http://www.competitiveedgeproducts.com/Flex-Bow-Canvas-Tents_c_12.html   unless you are near Layton, UT, where you can pick-up in person and save +/- $100 from  above listed site's prices.
KinA

Thank you for the suggestion. Yeah, will probably go with the Kodiak, especially with the price being so much lower than the Tentipi. 
Although the Tentipi does offer some compelling advantages like a wood stove/open fire option, the price unfortunately may be too high.

My wife and I have the 10' x 14' Kodiak and it is a great tent although I think they list it as a 3 season tent because of snow loads. We have never had it in deep snow but we have had it in high winds that pushed the walls in and lifted the floor, which means it is difficult to sleep or heat and small things fall over or get knocked over if close to the walls. I use 12" carriage bolts with large plastic washers and ball bungees to stake it down and have had no damage to the canvas hold down loops. The more expensive original Spring Bar tent uses a cable in its base for stakes so it might be more durable in the long run but the Kodiak had more options at the time we bought ours and was a couple hundred dollars cheaper with which we bought sand stakes and accessories. We are very pleased with ours but as we get older it is a little difficult to handle with it being heavy canvas and large it is much easier to fold with two people.

Why do you want a winter tent? I see three reasons, wind, cold, or snow. Which are you concerned about?

If it's wind, only get a tipi or a mountaineering tent. A true mountaineering tent will not have standing height.

For snow and cold I'd go with a canvas wall tent or good tipi.

Well, it's not cheap, but a Kifaru Tipi and wood stove will fit in just about any car you're traveling in, and stand up to any weather including Base Camp on Everest. I've had mine for 13 years and it's still going strong. Mine is an 8 man which has full standing height, without being to big. Kifaru.net

A couple pictures. Someplace on this forum I did a review of it a couple years back if you search. 

DSCN1342 copy.JPG

DSCN0385 copy.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1342 copy.JPG
    DSCN1342 copy.JPG
    360 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0385 copy.JPG
    DSCN0385 copy.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 15
akrvbob said:
Why do you want a winter tent? I see three reasons, wind, cold, or snow. Which are you concerned about?

If it's wind, only get a tipi or a mountaineering tent. A true mountaineering tent will not have standing height.

For snow and cold I'd go with a canvas wall tent or good tipi.
Only looking for a tent to use while looking for a suitable Van/P-U/RV and also to use as a comfortable secondary shelter to do whatever. My Cherokee is too small to be comfortable. Being from AK, I plan on returning during the summers. Bringing anything less than a 4 season tent to AK in my mind doesn't make sense. I do like the Tentipi, but for the $, a Kodiak Flex Bow would work just fine also as both are quality canvas tents.
What a great forum. Other views are really helpful!